Hello Everyone - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
ScubaGuy

Default Hello Everyone

Hi everyone,

I thought I should introduce myself before I start firing off questions. I’m Douglas and my girlfriend (Amanda) and I are trying to learn as much as we can before the purchase of our first motor home, which we hope will be in the next year to year and a half. Our goal is to go fulltime a couple of months after our purchase. Newell has been at the top of our list ever since we looked at a 1999 45’ just out of curiosity. We were very impressed with the construction as well as the thought that went into that coach, and have been trying to learn as much as we can about them ever since. We’re fairly certain we are looking for a 1986 or newer classic 40’ with tag, but are often all over the place as far as age and size.

We live in Houston, TX so if there are any Newell owners in the area that would like to give a tour of their coach (any year or size) we would be most appreciative. Like wise if you are interested in a motor home that is for sale in Houston we would be more than happy to take photos of it and send them to you before you decide to by a plane ticket.

Finally to everyone who contributes here, Thank You! In just a week or so since finding this site we have learned more than in the months before.

ScubaGuy

ScubaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
folivier

Welcome Scubaguy, we've only owned ours since May this year. Learned a lot from the forum and met a bunch of great and helpful people at the mini-rally in Creede.
Have you seen the Newell at PPL yet? Looks interesting and should be a great place to start. There are a few of us in Louisiana (though express1 seems to be lost and can't find his way back!) so if you ever get this way I'd be glad to show you mine and sure others would also.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
express1

Forest, I may be lost, but we have not been looking for way back ,YET!
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
fulltiming

We are currently in Austin. If you are going to be up this way, let us know, we will be happy to show you around our '92.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
ScubaGuy

Wow thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Have you seen the Newell at PPL yet? Looks interesting and should be a great place to start.
We looked at it today actually. We knew going in that it probably wasn't going to work for us, but it was a great chance to really take some time (we spent about 3 hours going over it and took 100 pictures) looking at it from the stand point of what works for us and what doesn't. It was also nice to know what the majority of the equipment was due to reading 100's of threads on this site. A lot of the equipment on these classics looks nothing like what you see on a modern mass produced Class A. It was nice to feel like I knew my way around rather than spend three hours scratching my head wondering what all this stuff is, and can I fix it if it breaks.

The time I have spent on this site has already paid off.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:15 AM   #6
ScubaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltiming View Post
We are currently in Austin. If you are going to be up this way, let us know, we will be happy to show you around our '92.
If we can find a day to get up there we would definitely take you up on that offer, we are trying to decide if going a little newer (early 90's) would pay off for us. We're just not sure if the higher initial cost would be offset by spending less on updates/upgrades. This is actually one of biggest questions.

How long do you plan to be in Austin (or Texas in general)?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:26 AM   #7
fulltiming

We spend most of our time here. We do leave for a few days or few weeks at a time.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
tuga

Welcome, Douglas and Amanda. I live about 30 minutes from Forest in Houma, LA. You two are more than welcome to come by and visit and see our 1999 Newell. It is for sale, but I promise no selling pressure!

I have had Newells for 18 years; a 1987, a 1993, and this 1999 Newell. So whichever year you are looking at I may be able to help you. If you would like to call or email please feel free to do so. I would be glad to share my experience with you. 985 381 6613 or tugagaidry@bellsouth.net
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
ccopel

Hi Douglas and Amanda,

We purchased Coach # 419 frm PPL and keep it in Houston. I drive it every other Sunday to run the systems. I will have it at Bunker Hill and I-10 tomorrow between 10am and 11am. If I am not in the coach I will be in Suite #200 facing the HEB parkinglot. Come by and tour the coach if you can.

Pete and Debbie
1996 Newell #419,45' tag axle.
ccopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
ScubaGuy

ccopel,

Thank you so much for the offer. We live right off Voss so that's an easy trip. We should be by just after 10:00 if that's ok with you. I will pm you my number in case you need to reach me. We can't wait!

Douglas
Old 09-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
ScubaGuy

foliver & tuga,

We don't make it to Louisiana very often but if we can we would be glad to set something up. If an opportunity arises I will let you both know. Thank you both for the offer.

fulltiming,

We will be in New Braunfels on Oct 3, we could drop by Sunday the 4th if you are available. We will be back again in December if that would work better. I'll send you a pm as we get closer.

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome.

Douglas