ULSD ADDITIVES for older engines? - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #21
folivier

Ok Richard, got me curious. Pre-filling the fuel filter cleans the injectors? Is that better than adding it to the tank?

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #22
encantotom

my bus mechanic fills the fuel filters with ATF when changing as well.

same thoughts as above.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #23
Richard and Rhonda

Forrest.

Sorry about the run on thoughts. The purpose of carrying a container of ATF is to ensure that you have clean fuel to prefill the filter.

ATF in general is supposedly a good injector cleaner because of it's high surfactant content.

I did not intend to mean that prefilling the filter was done to clean the injectors.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #24
prairieschooner

Richard,
To clarify. You use ATF to prefill the New Fuel Filter. The reason that you have for this is that the ATF will help clean the injectors rather than using unfiltered Diesel Fuel.
Forrest,
This would not replace treating the fuel in the tank, just a different way to prefill the new (and empty) fuel filters. It would be much easier to carry ATF than Diesel for this prupose.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #25
chockwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post

ATF in general is supposedly a good injector cleaner because of it's high surfactant content.

SURFACTANT......what a cool word!!!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #26
Brad Townsend

Further info: I found ATF at Sam's club for about $17 a case which is in 12 -1 quart containers. Thats about a buck cheeper per gallon compared to wal-mart one gallon sizes.

It is Mercon/Dextron which I was told is a must. Not just any ATF should be used as I was told. Maybe this could be verified by JC's diesel guy!!

It is red in color but I am not worried about being pulled over for inspection, besides if I have 12 quarts some empty of ATF then if I was questioned I think they would understand. And if they did not then i would open up my lap top and go to this forum and show them why we use ATF in our diesel.

A side note: We have left the Yuma are heading back to NH currently in Ill. for the PM. since adding the ATF I am watching for any performance difference. So far it seems that there is less smoke when under a load, not sure what causes less smoke. To early to tell about the mileage because my first tank before topping off at 1100 miles included that dreaded climb from Phoenix to Flagstaff. Iam pulling a 25 ft trailer weighing about 9K lbs. After 1100 miles including that climb the mileage was 5.43 and after the last fill up the mileage was 6.13 which is a little better than what it was last year on a similar run. I will keep this posting up to date with the performance as we travel to our destination NH.
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #27
Brad Townsend

Further update: Good to be back in NH.

Sad to say the driving conditions were no conducive to a proper mpg test. The road conditions were terrible with construction all over the place and the climbs through Pennsylvania were long and slow, to much stop and go to get good results. But the smoke at the exhaust under a load seems to have become less than before. Last fill up was showing another 5.4 mpg. one more top off before we land at our summer spot, hopefully that will show better results.

We did experience a flat tire on the trailer but only noticed it while at a rest area, completely shredded leaving only about 3 inches of side wall. Plus a stone from no where or a very hard headed bug put a dime size chip in the drivers side windshield at eye level!!
That's coach life.
Seafood tonight.
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
25 ft Haulmark trailer
Old 04-24-2010, 12:34 AM   #28
folivier

Glad you made it home.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #29
Brad Townsend

30020 miles later: Last fill up for the summer averaging 5.63 mpg from previous fill up. Used about 1 gallon of oil. Most traveling before arriving in New England was on 81 in Penn. Won't take that route again, to much climbing.

The newell was dependable and comfortable, the roads were rough, other rv's probably wouldn't have favored as well.

Have a great summer.
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
25 ft Haulmark trailer
Old 06-14-2010, 05:19 AM   #30
johned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post
ATF is an old trick for cleaning injectors from diesel way back. ATF has a high detergent content, which is what makes it "wet out" so well.

I keep a gallon of ATF on coach to prefill the fuel filter when I have to change it.

I was told that the highly reputable shops always prefilled with straight ATF when changing a filter. If certainly is a HIGH detergenr oil. Given that you will "spill" 75% of it back into the tank you are only getting full "detergent" for a very short time but diluted for quite a while.

In Europe there is a requirement that 3 r 5 % Rape Seed oil Bio D be in all Dino D. You can also buy 100% Bio over there, as here. BioD is a much much superior lubricant AND DETERGENT than Dino. The detergent thing is what clogs the filters but less than 10% won't do that. Want to lube the fuel? Buy some B100 or 50 or 25 or 5. It is the worlds best lube if that is on your mind.
johned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #31
GypsyCliff

What should I be using as a cleaner/lubricate fuel additive in our Newell?.......Sea foam was recommended by a truck driver.

1976 Newell Coach W/Cummins Engine
GypsyCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #32
The Newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyCliff View Post
What should I be using as a cleaner/lubricate fuel additive in our Newell?.......Sea foam was recommended by a truck driver.

Fuel additives are not normally needed and not recommended by most engine manufacturers.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #33
Brad Townsend

Went to Quartzsite RV show a couple weeks ago and saw a product called Super 21 a fuel additive. Wondering if anyone knows of this stuff.
Supposed to make a big difference in engine performance and mpg.

Brad
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
25 ft Haulmark trailer
Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #34
Neweller

I was talking about this Super 21 to a guy at a local truck stop and he was swearing by it. He claimed a 15% overall average fuel savings with it. I believe it was first used in Japan about 20 years ago. It takes the water in the fuel and converts it while in the combustion chamber to fuel and hence creating extra fuel. Supposedly for .10 invested saves .40 to 50 cents base off $4.00 a gallon. Did you buy any or mainly listen to the vendors spill? I was a little curious about it and wanted to try it in my 2011 Ram 3500 with a 6.7 Cummins, but I recently traded it in a couple of months ago for a 1500 gasser. I had tried some little tablets call Eco Pure and gained a whole mile to the gallon, still a little savings. So, this Super 21 sound pretty safe and promising.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #35
GringoPhil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
I was talking about this Super 21 to a guy at a local truck stop and he was swearing by it. He claimed a 15% overall average fuel savings with it. I believe it was first used in Japan about 20 years ago. It takes the water in the fuel and converts it while in the combustion chamber to fuel and hence creating extra fuel. Supposedly for .10 invested saves .40 to 50 cents base off $4.00 a gallon. Did you buy any or mainly listen to the vendors spill? I was a little curious about it and wanted to try it in my 2011 Ram 3500 with a 6.7 Cummins, but I recently traded it in a couple of months ago for a 1500 gasser. I had tried some little tablets call Eco Pure and gained a whole mile to the gallon, still a little savings. So, this Super 21 sound pretty safe and promising.
Sounds interesting Ken,

Where can I find Super 21? I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Phil
Old 02-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #36
NewellCrazy

Information shared from the following website: https://www.enivasuper21.com/?id=477954

Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	3330

Benefits of Super21

• Increased Fuel Economy (up to 20%)
  • Increased Horsepower (up to 10%)
  • Savings of up to $0.50/g of gasoline*
  • Octane Savings – save even more money by using “Regular” while getting the combustion benefits of “Premium”
  • Reduced toxic emissions and pollution
  • Cleaner and Smoother running engine – helps reduce ‘knocks or pings’
  • NO harmful ingredients such as solvents, MTBE, benzene, toluene or MMT
  • Use in All Engine Types – cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, lawn mowers and all gasoline and diesel motor engines.
  • Registered with the United States EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)

How Does Super21 Work?

Super21 uses advanced micro-emulsion technology. When added to fuel, it disperses immediately throughout the fuel tank forming highly-stable submicroscopic water droplets. Each droplet is encased in a protective membrane creating millions of tiny “water balloons.” When the fuel ignites in the combustion chamber, these droplets explode creating steam. This process absorbs heat energy and increases turbulence within the air and fuel mixture significantly improving the combustion process. This highly efficient burn actually steam cleans the engine from within and reduces toxic emissions. The result is improved fuel efficiency, better engine performance and reduced pollutants.

One of the major problems that engine designers face is how to vaporize all of the fuel and then efficiently mix that fuel vapor with exactly the correct ratio of air, all in the very short time available during the engine intake/compression stroke. Super21 fuel technology easily achieves the correct ratio by its specialized exploding micro-clusters.
How Does Super21 Protect and Clean My Engine?

When the Super21 micro-explosions occur against the surfaces of the combustion chamber, the carbon deposits disintegrate and completely burn away. This highly efficient burn creates a gentle steam cleaning effect in the engine and reduces toxic emissions. Any accumulated deposits are removed, and this helps to extend the life of your engine.
<map name="MapMap" id="MapMap"> </map>
Lower Maintenance Costs and Extend Engine Life

Super 21 removes carbon deposits, which can extend oil life, extend engine life and prevent the formation of new engine deposits.
Where do carbon deposits come from? Impurities present in petroleum-based fuels can cause carbon deposits to stick to surfaces of the engine combustion chamber. The impurities also cause motor oil to become contaminated, dirty and sludgy which decreases performance. As abrasive carbon deposits build up in the engine, they cause greater friction and excessive wear.

Super21 burns off existing carbon deposits with the highly-stable flashing of steam. This “cleans” your engine and prevents new deposits from forming with consistent use of Super21. And, this all takes place without harming your engine/catalytic converter. It also helps oil to stay clean (up to twice as long) extending the performance of the oil for improved lubrication. Overall, Super21 improves the performance of your engine, whether it is old or new, while reducing maintenance and repair costs.
Less repair costs means more cash in your pocket. And, you may see a higher resale value with a well maintained vehicle.

Increased Horsepower – Faster Acceleration

When you need to accelerate quickly, you can depend on Super21! An increase in engine power (up to 10%) is achieved from the enhanced combustion of the Super21 patented formula.

How Fuel Burns...

Regular fuel combustion produces large drops of fuel that may not burn completely. An inefficient burn results in the build-up of unwanted engine deposits and fuel residue. This can increase harmful emissions that contaminate engine oil, thus decreasing performance and engine life.

In contrast, fuel drops that are smaller (like in Super21) ignite faster and completely with no left over fuel particles (powerful acceleration). The Super 21 micro-emulsion technology explodes fuel drops before and during combustion making them smaller for more efficient vaporization and fuel use. It produces a “clean burn,” and it translates to powerful acceleration and a more efficient fuel burn for better fuel mileage.

A Smoother Ride

Engine knock or pinging is a annoying, and Super21 can help. Creating a cleaner combustion chamber with Super21 can reduce engine knocks and stress to help make your ride smooth and quiet. And, by keeping your engine clean, deposits related to pre-ignition and knocks that damage an engine can be reduced.

Lower Octane Fuel Usage

Higher grade octane fuel and octane booster additives can help with performance and mileage performance. But these expenses may not translate to savings in the long run. Super21 naturally keeps your combustion chamber clean. This helps the engine to run at a cooler temperature which produces significantly less Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) emissions. Because of the micro-emulsion firing of water droplets in Super21, it can be added to a lower octane fuel (Regular or Super instead of Premium grade), and you’ll still receive enhanced combustion. – In other words, you don’t need as high octane fuel because the Super21 helps fuel burn more efficiently and powerfully. – This translates to cash savings! And, you’re doing your part to cut down on harmful emissions in the environment.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote