Battery help for newbie - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
cdat

Default Battery help for newbie

We just purchased a new too us 91 Newell with two house batteries, have a couple of questions. The previous owner replaced one of the house batteries, I was under the impression that you were not supposed to mix new and old. Do I need to replace both now, or should I test them and see how close they are? How difficult is it to add additional battery capacity on a Newell, I'd like to have at least 4 batteries.
My preference is too switch to AGM's, has anyone used the AGM's from Interstate? I have a friend that works as a salesman for them, and I can get the batteries for a greatly reduced price, but I am concerned about the quality, will the savings be eaten up by having to replace them sooner?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
MrE

John, this is a somewhat lengthy read but very informative. The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog

Keep in mind that this is one man's opinion, but he has been successfully living off the grid for a number of years now.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Newellin Thunder

Interstate batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls, which is probably the largest private label supplier in the country.

Johnson Controls also manufactures Costco's Kirkland batteries, Autozone's Duralast, Sears Diehard & Wal-Mart. Johnson Controls also have their own brands too. Optima, Varta, Heliar, list goes on.

http://www.themanufacturer.com/us/pr...hnson_Controls

Sams Club AGM's are now manufactured by exide Deka (east penn) Company

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
FJGuard

You said you had a friend who is in sales for the AGM's so you should be fine but - http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...batteries.html
FJGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
stewart33

If you can get a deal from a buddy go for it, savings is a good thing in my book. There is nothing wrong with AGMs.
stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
speedingsport

There is a lot of one group who likes this brand over here and the other half like such and such brand over there. It's really whatever you prefer, if your preference is too switch to AGM's go for it.

speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote