Solar trickle charger help - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
cdat

Default Solar trickle charger help

In my never ending quest too learn more about our new to us Newell, next question.
For the 1st several months we need to keep the Newell in storage, I would like to keep a solar powered battery charger/maintainer on the engine batteries. Any recommendation as to a quality solar battery charger that wont break the bank account? Should I also keep one on the house batteries to keep them from possibly running down? Thanks in advance for the help.

John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Neweller

John, you can get a battery tender and small solar panel for very reasonable. There are a few different makes and models available.

There has been a bit of discussion around here on batteries which others have have included the use of battery tenders.

Here is a link to the Delran website where you can do a little checking HERE: Solar - Products - Batterytender.com As you will see the company's list pricing and it's not all that bad. You can find better deals shopping around online.

Also, up in your area there is a Batteries Plus store which I have purchased batteries at. Their pricing is very competitive and they offer a nationwide warranty. Their link is HERE: Battery Stores in Idaho - Batteries Plus

Additionally, I will add a direct link to their multi-battery tender page HERE: http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...Battery/1.aspx

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
prairieschooner

Makes sense to consider future expenses and choose a quality product that will not ruin your batteries. I have had a Regulator from Blue Sky Energy for 5 years and have been very happy with it but I have Flooded Lead Acid Batteries.

Here is a link to the Solar Boost 2000E
Blue Sky Energy Inc. | Solar Boost 2000E
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Neweller

Above, what Steve (prairieschooner) is showing is a top notch type setup. This is more inline with what I am planning with a full array of RV solar, for wherever I have space on the roof. I will max it out.

Steve, do you have this particular Solar Boost 2000E unit or a slightly different model? I can't remember, are you running some panels on the roof? Blue Sky Energy sells a great product.

Below is another tender unit I had saved in my favorites. This company is farther ahead of the design and engineering curve and the price will reflect this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEN5.1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	3227

Here is a smaller less expensive unit by the same company with a 7.2 amp charging rate:

Name:	G7200.1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	3230The G7200 is a smart, 12 Step, fully automatic switch-mode battery charger and maintainer. The G7200 restores batteries to their original capacity, recovers slightly sulfated batteries, charges batteries in cold climates, rescues drained batteries, and provides maintenance charging to increase battery life. A powerful battery charger with specialized charging modes for recovering severely drained batteries that will not accept a normal charge. Suitable for most 12V and 24V battery capacities from 14-230Ah, such as Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Snowmobiles, Jet Skis, Cars, RVs, Boats and Trucks.

The list price on this G7200 is 122.95 and I seen it over at PPL for $99.95
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
NewellCrazy

Smart Battery Chargers are designed for Marine Applications, Recreational Vehicles, and Industrial Applications. Their multi-stage charging capabilities are ideal for ripple-free performance and prolonged battery life. Smart Battery Chargers are able to recharge multiple battery banks simultaneously, know when to stop charging to avoid cell damage, and provide exceptional charging performance when charging from inconsistent line voltage.

TrueCharge10 Micro-processor controlled, 10 amp continuous duty, multi-stage battery charger. The TrueCharge10 is designed for batteries from 25 amp-hours to 200 amp-hours. Using alligator clip leads for battery connection, this portable charger offers quicker charging times than many 15, 20, and 30 amp rated ferroresonant battery chargers due to multi-stage charging capability.

The TrueCharge10 gives ripple-free charging performance when charging from inconsistent line voltage as typically seen from dock power or generators. Ultimately, this saves wear and tear on your batteries and greatly extends their lifetime.

Name:	DSC03641.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	3228Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03645.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	3.74 MB
ID:	3229

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Newellin Thunder

http://www.palmerenergysystems.com/

Name:	ME-SBC.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	3231

Smart Battery Combiner (ME-SBC)

The Front panel Includes:
LED indicators showing status and operation.
Three adjustable voltage dials to set the "Connect Voltage",
"Low V Disconnect", and "High V Disconnect."
An oversized power terminal block allowing for easy wire
connections even if the wires are large.
An accessories terminal block to add a solenoid or a separate
voltage sense line.
A reset switch.

Features:
Voltage auto-detect feature recognizing 12 or 24 VDC.
Transfers up to 25 amps.
Solenoid drive for requirements greater than 25 amps.
Over-temperature and over-current shutdown.
Adjustable voltage settings with a wide range allows for
charging flexibility.
Bi-directional charging.
Reverse polarity protection.
Sense lead for long-run applications.

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote