Question that turned into a problem - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
GORDON HUMMEL

Default What is this relay for

I was in the process of redoing the towing wire harness. The original was cut for unknown reasons. When towing, I've had problems withe the toads batt going down, so I figured I could wire it to the coach to keep it charged. There was a brown wire in the original harness that I chose to use. I have the wire diagram from coach #281 and the brown wire is marked "pump"
Anyway that brown wire is attached to the relay in the attachment, but never gets any power. The 2 terminals attached to either side of the fuse are hot all the time. The white terminal on the lower right with the white wire is grounded to the mounting screw for this relay. The other 2 terminals + the brown never get power.
This AM I wanted to see that was powering the relay. I turned off the eng batt switch and the test light dimmed but did not go out. I checked again, & same thing.
Voltage with switch on 12.45; switch off 8.32.

Now I'm really confused

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solonoid 001.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1190  

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
GORDON HUMMEL

Default Found The Noise

un nessary post

Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
MarkofSJC

It's too early in the season for a cliff hanger!
What did you find?
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
GORDON HUMMEL

Question answered. My assumption was that the relay in question was OE. I now believe it was installed after the coach was built! When I purchased this coach about 4 years ago, there was a switch panel, labeled Remco, mounted to the left side of the dash. It appeared to be added on & was not mounted with the typical Newell expertise. My knee kept hitting it, I didn't know what it was for, so I moved it under the dash & tied it up. Fast forward 4 years, if the engine is running & you flip the switch on that Remco panel, wala the relay in the back is activated.

As to the battery switch not cutting off power completely, I am still at a loss.
Either 1. the switch is bad or
2. power is being back fed from another circuit.

I am trying to figure out how to get to the battery switch on the lower part of the electrical panel. All the wires going to this panel appear to be long enough to allow the panel to be rotated to allow inspection of the back of this panel. Just not sure how to get at it. Has anyone ever worked on theirs????????????
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
Old 10-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
HoosierDaddy

Yep, Remco builds electric pumps that circulate transmission fluid in a TOAD thus lubricating the output shaft to allow flat towing.
I'm thinking you could use that 12V from the relay's secondary to charge your TOAD.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote