Your New Car — Smaller, Safer, and Smarter Than You? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Neweller

Default Your New Car — Smaller, Safer, and Smarter Than You?

The buzz at the Detroit Auto Show for 2012 was small cars are now sexy again. Would you envision hauling one of these on the back of your sexy Newell Coach? Maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Future GM car.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2679  

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
larryweikart

We have a Smart car and have been in contact with a Prevost owner who hauls his on a double sized reese motorcycle rack. It sits sideways and is actually 6" over the 81/2', but who could tell. No backing up problems whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	2680  

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
NeverEnding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
The buzz at the Detroit Auto Show for 2012 was small cars are now sexy again. Would you envision hauling one of these on the back of your sexy Newell Coach? Maybe?
It's small enough!

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford
NeverEnding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
NeverEnding

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryweikart View Post
We have a Smart car and have been in contact with a Prevost owner who hauls his on a double sized reese motorcycle rack. It sits sideways and is actually 6" over the 81/2', but who could tell. No backing up problems whatsoever.
Nice little smart car! No backing up problems? I wouldn't think so. Larry, how does it feel going from driving the Newell and then getting in driving the smart car?

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford
Old 08-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
larryweikart

Well Tom it is a little bit of a change but we love that little car. We live on an island and when we're home most of our driving is to one of two cities, each about 10 miles down the road. I can drive to town for a buck and it is actually a blast to drive. They have paddle shift and are very quick. When i drove the Navigator I could almost drive the Newell to town for bout the same amount of $$. By the way, when are you getting off your butt and getting that Newell? (no pressure,)
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Neweller

How about one of these little Mercedes Benz. They may get built in the same plant as the little Smarty!
Attached Images

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
larryweikart

That may very well be Neweller. When we visited a Smart dealer in Germany, before the Smart came to the good ol USA, they also had a very sporty model like your pic. Nice little buggy!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
Randy J

I'm liking these little rides. Nice little Mercedes Benz. Cute smart car Larry! I need Randy to buy me one of these. Esp. since he won't budge on a Vespa!

Leeann

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
Ron Skeen

I am modifying the ramp on the rear of the coach to accommodate the RZR but I think that it would carry a smart car if the axle weight works. The ramp will be 56" x 96 and should carry at least 2,000 lb. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4690.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	2691
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
Ron Skeen

This was when I had a ramp for my 1989 Classic which would haul Golf Cart, Goldwing, ATV or anything that fits on 4'x8' platform. Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailfest 2006 042.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	2692
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Old 08-31-2012, 03:40 AM   #11
Raymond N Priscilla Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Skeen View Post
I am modifying the ramp on the rear of the coach to accommodate the RZR but I think that it would carry a smart car if the axle weight works. The ramp will be 56" x 96 and should carry at least 2,000 lb. Attachment 2691
WOW! Nice toys Ron!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:41 AM   #12

Quote:
This was when I had a ramp for my 1989 Classic which would haul Golf Cart, Goldwing, ATV or anything that fits on 4'x8' platform. Attachment 2692
Pretty 89 classic you owned. When did you make the upgrade to the 96?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Ron Skeen

I went to the 96 in Oct of 2005. This picture was made at the Hatfield McCoy Trailfrest back in 2004. I did a lot of updates on the 89 and really enjoyed the coach which I purchase in 2002 after thinking I want a Prevost. I purchase the 89 from Marathon in Dallas. I bought the 96 and still had the 89 so I put them both up for sale and sold the 89 the first week. If you will send me your email I will send you some pictures. My email is ron@skeenrentals.com
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Old 08-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
NeverEnding

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryweikart View Post
Well Tom it is a little bit of a change but we love that little car. We live on an island and when we're home most of our driving is to one of two cities, each about 10 miles down the road. I can drive to town for a buck and it is actually a blast to drive. They have paddle shift and are very quick. When i drove the Navigator I could almost drive the Newell to town for bout the same amount of $$. By the way, when are you getting off your butt and getting that Newell? (no pressure,)
Larry we are still dreaming! Hopefully, we'll be making a trip out to the factory soon. Waiting for the heat to ease up. If there were any in our area to check out we would have been on that. Donna is coordinating for the holidays, my idea of a holiday would be us in a coach for Christmas! Realistically, we are planning a trip to the Newell factory in November or early spring of next year. No, pressure? We still have time our goal is to be proud newell owners by fall of next year!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #15

Quote:
I went to the 96 in Oct of 2005. This picture was made at the Hatfield McCoy Trailfrest back in 2004. I did a lot of updates on the 89 and really enjoyed the coach which I purchase in 2002 after thinking I want a Prevost. I purchase the 89 from Marathon in Dallas. I bought the 96 and still had the 89 so I put them both up for sale and sold the 89 the first week. If you will send me your email I will send you some pictures. My email is ron@skeenrentals.com
Ron my email is millerraymond756@yahoo.com . You can email me anytime or PM me here. You might want to post the pictures here on the forum. Others seemed to enjoy what you have shared.

After we sold our class C and started looking into a more luxurious bus we also considered a Prevost but we're glad we ended up with a Newell. It's been 6 years and we still love our 87 but we always keep an eye out. Never know when we might come across that steal of a deal.