Small leaks are starting - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
Bro. Dilly

Default Small leaks are starting

What is the recommended roof sealant for a 1978 Newell? I am assuming that the roof is aluminum as with the sides? Any tips would be splended.

Bro. Dilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
HoosierDaddy

Depends on where the leaks are. I would never coat the entire roof. Silver or white paint is sufficient. I use Exterior grade silicone to seal screw heads etc.

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Bro. Dilly

HoosierDaddy, thank you for your reply. The leaks that I have noticed more when there is snow build up or real heavy rains are around my middle roof vent and the front A/C unit. I have also noticed moisture around some windows, which is hard to identify whether or not it is condesation or leaking? :?

You mentioned that the whole roof should not be sealed? Now I am assuming that the whole roof mus have some kind of white paint which is also very dull, dry and showing lots of thin cracking. Not sure what kind of finish it should have on it?
Bro. Dilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
encantotom

i had a leak at the front roof air conditioner. if you take the trim piece off the bottom, then there is a metal frame that has a small i think 10mm or so bolt in each corner. it acts like a clamp from the inside to hold down the roof ac with only a thick foam gasket as a seal on the outside. the first thing to do is to tighten those bolts to see if the additional pressure will stop the leak. mine did not. so i got a new gasket, but before i put it on, i just took the bolts out, pushed the ac up from the inside and put some silicone on the seam of the metal roof where it was leaking and gooped it up. not elegant, but it ended up stopping the leak.

i would get on the roof and do the same for the vents...just exterior grade silicone.

windows should be easy as well. you could gently and carefully silicone aroudn the outside frame and on mine i took the inside trim frame off to make it easier to wallpaper. you can see the frame in the wall then to see if there has been water leaking or not.

the roof on mine is all metal, so not sure why you would need to seal it. only where things penetrate the metal roof or the seam down the metal can there be any leaks. those are easy to seal.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote