Newell shopping prices all over the board - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
happynuts

Default Newell shopping prices all over the board

I have been comparing private party with dealer retail prices while Newell shopping & seen prices all over the board. Question, In this economy how realistic are used coach values and what % off that price should I really expect to buy a coach? Hoping to get into an early to mid 00's double or triple slide Newell Coach.

Bob & Marsha

happynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
David Carrol

My advice is don't buy purely based on price. Buy on terms of value. There are some VERY well-kept coaches that deserve a premium and there are some super low-priced barely-maintained coaches that are priced super low and STILL overpriced based on what you'll have to do to them.

David Carrol

Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Yachts

This is what I have found for value.. I'm only comparing 95-2002 because that is the price range i have been looking in.. A non slide with a series 60 engine. Range from 60 -80 depending on condition and amenities. With higher price going to raised roof and powered awnings.. Single slides can be had starting around 90k and add about 25k per slide above that.. There are some doubles to be had in the 120 range but you have to look. Triples around 150 but you have to be patient..
if you want a good discussion of this look at the thread called the squish effect..

I'm not trying to bash any one who has one for sale here but people who have double slides priced over 200 and no slides priced over 100 are in my opinion out of reality.
Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
SantaFe

Yachts is mainly correct, but from what I'm seeing current market sell is about 10-15% less than his
prices...if you want to know the real $ see what Newell will give on trade.
They wholesale off the 90's to early 2000's for about half to 2/3rds what you see
them listed for on the popular RV websites. It is a buyers market on the older coaches.
Cars aren't any better, mid 90's Vettes can be had for $5k at the auctions around here; a 20k mi ZR-1
That was mint sold for under $10k

Don't rush to buy. Offer a low price and stand your ground... There are more coaches than cash
the prices have no where to go but down.
SantaFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Neweller

yachts and SantaFe, you guys have both been doing your homework. Some owners are up on a cloud dreaming of a non-reality when it comes to coach pricing.

Santa Fe, you are spot on with asking Newell what they would give as a trade. The crazy thing is that if sellers would talk to Newell about their trade value, they could come out even more ahead by selling it themselves for 10-20% over that and get their coach sold down the road to a new owners and have that extra change in the bank. All you have to do is come on this site sellers and make it happen. We need to get the world out to the selling market and educate the sellers.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
NewellCrazy

There's no arguing that Newell is a premium brand and places well when compared to its competition, namely Prevost and Wanderlodge just be patient and you will eventually find a Newell in your budget.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
SantaFe

Ken- I think it is the buyers who need educated. Yup Newell's are premium
coach but a 15-25 yr old coach wow... None of them are cheap to
repair/maintain/restore. The true market is nearer to what someone will loan on the vehicle.
Sellers have the right to price however they want. But if they want to close
a deal they need to get their coaches in top shape, interesting how many sellers
will not put a new set of tires on a 100k coach...... Says a lot about what they
really think about the value of it. Plus that also says they don't think it's worth the investment of new tires!
Not a coach I care to own unless I steal it!
SantaFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
MrE

Anybody that thinks they can buy an older coach that hasn't been maintained needs to watch the Tom Hanks, Shelly Long movie 'Money Pit' and realize that the house part is only the tip of the iceberg, you also have your utility system and vehicle to think of and pay repairs/maintenance on.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
Yachts

Amen.. Wish we could keep a running total what each coach sold for.. Be easier to educate people
Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFe View Post
Ken- I think it is the buyers who need educated. Yup Newell's are premium
coach but a 15-25 yr old coach wow... None of them are cheap to
repair/maintain/restore. The true market is nearer to what someone will loan on the vehicle.
Sellers have the right to price however they want. But if they want to close
a deal they need to get their coaches in top shape, interesting how many sellers
will not put a new set of tires on a 100k coach...... Says a lot about what they
really think about the value of it. Plus that also says they don't think it's worth the investment of new tires!
Not a coach I care to own unless I steal it!
No, I agree about buyers needing to be educated too. I'm basically saying sellers need to understand what you're stating along with doing their own homework and seeing or finding out what like coaches are actually selling for. Really, if they come on here we can all pitch in and do some educating without beating anyone up, don't you think? This site is as close to a blue book as you're probably going to get. The Newell factory will shoot even lower.

We know there are a select number of Newell owners that want to buy low and sell high, but they need to get off the pipe.

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 04-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
Neweller

A wise man once told me; "The true value of anything is what a person is willing to give you today for it!"

-Bob Marley
Old 04-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
ccjohnson

IMHO the older (pre-2003) coaches don't have a blue book value (due to rarity) and it is hard to get financing. Therefore you are looking at cash buyers. Most folks with +/-100-125K cash would rather use it for a down payment & then pay the bank every month for a newer coach. I would rather own outright and spend the monthly payment on custom upgrading an older coach.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #13
NewellCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
Anybody that thinks they can buy an older coach that hasn't been maintained needs to watch the Tom Hanks, Shelly Long movie 'Money Pit' and realize that the house part is only the tip of the iceberg, you also have your utility system and vehicle to think of and pay repairs/maintenance on.
Did you say money pit?

Click image for larger version

Name:	money-dump.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	4019

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote