How about a 47' foot Newell Coach, Can it be handled? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
greatriver

Default How about a 47' foot Newell Coach, Can it be handled?

Every now and then you'll see a Newell longer than 45'. The one's I've seen have been 47' and I assume were built for out for US owners. I know that Wyoming, Montana, and North Dakota allow RV's from 50' to 60' depending on the state.

Does anyone know the particulars of how someone could live in the US and own and use a coach longer than 45'? My guess is that you would have to declare residency in one of the three states, register the coach in that state and then other states would honor that states laws. Even then I would think there would be a number of problems that you could encounter.

Just curious as I think 45' is all I really want to handle.

Larry

greatriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
fulltiming

For years, California had laws on the books that restricted motorcoaches to a maximum of 40'. However, they still legally registered them even though you could not legally drive them in the state. It may be that many states would allow you to register a 47' coach even if it were not legal to drive it in the state WITHOUT an oversize permit.

The length laws are extremely confusing from state to state. Totally length, including trailer/toad, can be a problem off of the Interstate Highway System, since some states are as low as 50'.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
tuga

Larry,

To the best of my knowledge about 15 or 20 Newells were built 47' long. I have seen it listed as an option on a build sheet that was posted on eBay.

I was in for service about 3 years ago, and I was parked next to one. My Newell is 45' and it looked small next to the 47'. I asked the guy if he ever had any problems with the length and he said "never once"!

Most law enforcement officers are concerned with speeding, seat belts, etc. to be bothered with length. Although it kind of makes you wonder at re-sale time if it might become an issue! I'll bet its nice to have the extra room!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
greatriver

Tuga that's interesting, never a problem. I guess it's sort of like the weight issue with the powers to be only interested in commercial use. Some people think that in these bad economic times states may crack down on overweight and oversized MH's for additional revenue. However, I doubt that there are enough MH's in violation of these laws to make enforcement viable.

Larry
Old 08-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
fulltiming

California's enforcement of overall length (including toad) could make a 47' more likely to attract unwanted attention there. Several of the longer SUV's or stacker trailers towed behind 'standard' 45'8" Newells have resulted in tickets from the California Highway Patrol for exceeding their 65' max overall length requirement as I have talked directly to the owners who received the tickets. I am not personally aware of over-length tickets being issued in other states but a number of states have lower limits than 65', some as low as 50' to 55'. Other violations, such as speeding can be what originally gets the CHP's attention. Remember that in some states, such as California, the speed limits are lower (55 mph) if you are towing anything.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
greatriver

Michael:

California is the one state that would give me great concern exceeding size limits. I understand that the CHP is unforgiving in their enforcement of size issues. As Tuga noted a 47' coach appears large and with a towed vehicle would certainly draw attention.

BTW, your thread about Newell production is just great news.

Larry
Old 05-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #7
afrench45

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item255a81b471

This is the first 47' Newell Ive ever seen for sale.
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
fulltiming

They are pretty rare and aren't available very often. #714 was advertised on Ebay back in November of 2008 and again in Feb. 2009, but didn't sell. It was a 47' 4-slide with the island bed and front entry also. There was a 2004 47' advertised on RVOnline back in the summer of 2008 but I was never able to determine the coach number. There was another listing on RVOnline in April of 2009 for a 2008 that was supposedly a 47' with the Cat C-15. It would have been one of the few P2000i's made in that length.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
encantotom

over legal length, but hey, who measures?

i think you ought to go for it.

hey ken, this would be a great coach for you?

i would, but i got kids in college......lol

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:47 AM   #10
Neweller

Tom, that sounds like a great idea. Now, if I can muster enough donations, to make it happen. Now were talking miracles.

I wonder if resale values are holding that great on these over-sized units. I remember California mainly having an issue on the back roads with their length restrictions. Worried about the crazy RVers crossing over lanes on the tight turns.

Ken
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
greatriver

Coach 733 is a 2005 model and 47'. It has been on the Newell pre-owned site for some time. The price has been reduced from $665,000 to 499,000 so you have to think that resale may be a bit of a problem with a 47' coach.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
afrench45

When I bought my coach about 1.5yrs ago, 733 was there and I went in it. Every time I go for service I would walk the coaches and it was always there, never once did i catch it being 47ft. I guess theres something you always can miss with these coaches! However, I wouldn't think that 1.2 ft would make a big difference in resale. Many coaches are the 450 model which is 45"8, so its not a big difference in length. Maybe Im wrong....
Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
afrench45

Quote:
Originally Posted by encantotom View Post
over legal length, but hey, who measures?

i think you ought to go for it.

hey ken, this would be a great coach for you?

i would, but i got kids in college......lol

tom
Tom, Im in the same boat as you, I have one going to college in August and another one not far behind! It will be a while before i get to trade up
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
greatriver

I agree. I really don't think the added length would be an issue from the standpoint of drivability. My comment about the impact on resale was on the legal issue and making a major investment into a coach that is by the letter of the law illegal to drive in most states. The law doesn't seem to be enforced but still but still it would make you think twice.

I seem to remember that I saw some Newell information that said they would build a coach longer than 45' for out of country customers. I may be wrong and if so I stand corrected.

A couple of years ago there was a beautiful 47' Newell on ebay I believe. It may have been the one Michael made reference to. Anyway it was in a resort in Naples, FL but I noticed the tags were Montana. I know a lot of folks register their coaches in Montana for tax reasons by setting up a small business there. However, it may also address the length issue since Montana allows 47' and longer I believe.