1990 45ft #62 A/C's Failing - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
fl-son-helping-dad

Question 1990 45ft #62 A/C's Failing

Hello, This is my first time using this forum. I'm 32 yrs old trying to help my dad 76 y/o with his motorhome. Its a 1990 45 foot Model#62. He lived on the motorhome here in Clearwater, FL where its getting in upper 90's daily. The A/c unit in the Back (master Bedroom) stopped working completely about a month and half ago and about three weeks ago the Middle A/c and Front A/c began to blow air but not cool air. I think the motor in the back is done but the other two I'm not sure since when he turns them on they do blow air but the compressor doesnt turn on. He's retired but still ablebodied but doesnt no where to start. If some one could help me lead him in the right direction it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Alot, Eric Mastro

fl-son-helping-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
folivier

Are these roof air's or basement air's?

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
fl-son-helping-dad

Default 1990 45ft #62 A/c's failing

All three are basement a/c's
Old 08-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
folivier

Others with more experience should jump in also. I've had my local a/c guy recharge and do some work on mine. You should know that Dometic considers these obsolete but there are some parts still available. Newell factory has some parts, blower fan motors, maybe control boards. Don't think they have compressors or cores but there is a guy in Indiana (can't find his info just yet, I'll keep looking) that used to work for Dometic and has a repair shop. He has some parts available.
One of the frequent problems is the blower fan on the compressor coils (in the basement) fails. Check to see if the compressor is running or getting hot, if the fan is not running it's probably that fan motor.
Richard found a problem with some of his wiring connections loose. Check those.
Since these are split units (just like a house central a/c) you have a fan motor on the compressor and another on the evaporator inside. Hope this helps with troubleshooting.
Good luck.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
fl-son-helping-dad

Thumbs down 1990 45ft #62 A/C's Failing

Thanks for your input. Also for those who can help he has put in new thermostats just because the old ones were very used but of course that made no difference.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
express1

Default keep dad cool!

Many will help soon. You can search for previous A/C issues on this site.
Stay tuned. Help will soon post.
For now keep dad cool!
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
fl-son-helping-dad

Default 1990 45ft #62 A/C's Failing

Thanks alot. You Guys are cool. And were keeping him cool he may be 76 but dont tell him that. LOL Take care and I'll Await & read. Thanks again. Eric
Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
Richard and Rhonda

Hey Eric,

Call me

ate won seven too 2 tres two oh fifty six

It's easier to walk you through the basics than try to type all the possiblities.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #9
Marc & Lisa Hobbie

Default Basement Air

A great contact is Dave Holmes his business is "Holmes on Wheels". He is located in Elkhart In. He used to build these things and has been a great help to me in the past and also can find the parts you need. 574-266-1586
Marc & Lisa Hobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
James Tuckness

A good place to start would be checking the Start/run capacitor for compressor. This is a comon problem in this age of equipment, usauly fails when it gets hot, often showes bulge or deformation of capacitor case. This is easly tested part with multi-meter or parts store can test. Cost 6-10 dollars.

James
James Tuckness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #11
fl-son-helping-dad

Thanks for the exchanges. Were going to the rv tommorow and will do whats been recommended and we may call ya Richard & Rhonda also, Really Thank You All for helping me to try help my dad. Will update the progress tommorow. Thanks Again, Eric
Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
Richard and Rhonda

Eric,

You will need at a minimum, a multimeter with a clamp on for reading amperage.

Without a meter, it's all guess work.

Ideally, you will have a set of AC guages.

Richard
CoMotion Tandem
Old 09-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
fl-son-helping-dad

Arrow

Ok I will call and ask him now if he has or has access to get a multimeter with a clamp and also AC guages and the other things recommened by everyone. Do I have this right that the early 1990's Newell RV's had bad a/c motors or bad a/c compressors. I remember reading that someone one had bought therir Newell and it had 3 extra a/c motors or compressor motors? Because of the problems they were having or was someone preparing ahead of time? Thanks Eric
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #14
encantotom

howdy, richard and others will comment on your question about "bad" compressors and motors i am sure. i guess the way i look at is not that wayt at all. the coaches we are talking about are 15-20 years old. they are exposed to high and low temperatures, moisture etc. now, put your house on wheels with all the heaters and air conditioners, let it set and drive it once in a while for FIFTEEN TO TWENTY-FIVE years and see how well the air conditioner works. i view it as that it is a testimony to how high a quality of units they used to have them last this long.

so, yea, they have components that go bad. and we fix them. the same as on my house. as for carrying spare parts, dont get us started. we all carry way more spare parts than we would like to admit for just about everything in the coach. if we each did a spare part list, you would find commonly replaced things like solenoids, air valves, lights, etc. then you would find out the things that each of us are concerned about having spares for based on our past experiences. i have seen step motors, gas caps, and a laundry list of things. when we get together as a group we could probably assemble a new old stock newell from all of our parts. that is because we are newell geeks and accumulate the things.

that said, we get together with FIFTEEN TO TWENTY-FIVE year old newells (28 years in the case of clarke and steve), that are looking like new ones, yea we talk about what we fixed and how and compare how we did it, what scars we got from doing it and how we found the part for cheap somewhere. and then we go from coach to coach to work on things. if it was to be the same for regular fiberglass motorhomes, we would be showing pictures and remembering what they looked like before they fell apart after ten years and remember the good ol days. instead we are living the good ol days.

btw, many of the folks have these units that are still working strong other than regular service.

good for us, we have the air conditioning wizardry of richard to help us all out.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
fl-son-helping-dad

Yea I guess I did post that way. Its true that the Coach is a 1990 and last 20 years is actually pretty good. You'd be lucky to get that outof a regular home. The Coach is great other than this problem that my dad is enduring but thanks to everyone on here are helping us through. will be their in about 2 hours. See if we can diagnose this baby. Thanks again. Always Eric.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #16
encantotom

hey, i was trying to be funny and witty. which is hard for me. we are glad you are here asking.

good luck

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
Richard and Rhonda

Eric,

It is hard to say if there is a generic problem with the basment airs.

I know that on my coach, and some others have indicated the same problem, that there are wiring problems and relay problems. Those problems can and do cause low voltage/high amperage to blower motors and compressors. That causes the motors to burn out.

I don't have enough data to separate the two causes of failure.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #18
chockwald

I am so grateful that my 28 year old roof A/C units still run strong. I can only run one at a time unless it's over 104 outside, otherwise it gets tooooo cold inside. My son, who has a 2007 Fleetwood DP is jealous of my A/C......his close to brand new roof units struggle to keep the coach cool, even after service, and when it is in the 90's outside. My dash A/C still blows icicles thanks to Richard and Tom!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #19
prairieschooner

I would advise that you start by checking all of your Wire Connections; Circuit Breakers, Relays, Capacitors, etc. Newell used high end components and they should outlast at least the original owner. I have found that most of the problems encountered are simply from age, check the connections.
Watts = Volts X Amps so if there was a poor connection then...the Volts would go down and the Amps would go up... or Failure because the system is overloaded being designed for lower amperage.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
fl-son-helping-dad

Cool

Hey Richard & Rhonda and Really Everyone helping us. I;m going to my dads today I forgot about a V.A. appt. he had yesterday and I thought yesterday was friday so anyhow were meeting in about an hour. Since there isnt a manual to a rv. If You could help me since Im not sure he knows exactly where they are. If Possile could you tell me where togo and what to look for like wiring etc. and see if the wiring is messed up via rodent or anything. I know he's down since he hasnt been staying in his RV and I'm gonna help him get back in a.s.a.p. Thanks to all your responses. Always Eric