If not a Newell.....then what? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
jdaniel

Default If not a Newell.....then what?

My wife and I have loved our 1991 Newell for 6 years now. With grand kids expecting in the next couple of weeks, we have decided to sell the Newell and look for a newer one with 4 slides for the extra room. We have looked at an 03 and 04 but couldn't make the deal. There are always a limited number of Newell's ( 200k - 300k price) to choose from simply because they are not mass produced like others. While we are looking we have ran across a few 06-09 Beaver Marquis for sale. The insides of these coaches are Beautiful!! I have NOT driven one yet however. If you're picking slightly under a Newell, what else is out there. We have never liked the Prevost unless you get to the 07s and up when they started making the 4 slide. When you look at a 4-slide Prevost you go WAY up in price (over 650k). So my question is, if not a Newell, what else is worth looking at. The quality of our 1991 has always been hard to believe and it spoils you.

jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
larryweikart

I can't imagine considering any coach other than a Newell. No doubt there are many beautiful coaches out there, but, I place a value on Newells service department far in excess of other Brands. Our 94 is coming up on 19 years old and they still tell me anything I need to know to keep her properly maintained! we don't have slides but when we are ready for them we would never consider anything but slides that are flat to the floor. Good luck in your quest.

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
Neweller

Jimmy, I believe you can find a lot of coach in that price range if you have time to be patient, since timing is everything when you are wanting what you want. Of course after the first of the year prices will drop some more do to the age and being a new year. Condition and mileage will be the biggest determining factor. I have already seen a couple that would probably fit your bill. I understand what you are referring to on the nicer bus conversions and how they are more money, there are those folks that won't have anything but a full blown luxury conversion and or they may not know of the Newell being an option. The latter is usually the case. There are literately dozens of people whom come on this site daily discovering Newell for the first time.

I might add, that if you don't mind a fiberglass coach and everything else in coach design and build meet your requirements, then a Beaver, Foretravel and a couple of others could work. Depending on where I traveled, I would want to know the R Value, any brand slide issues. Like Matt (express1) stated in a recent post, an '03 Travel Supreme has level slides in the front, but I'm guessing not in the rear. I would also want roof airs with a quad, otherwise it seems many owners of coaches don't get comfortable cooling using basement air with all the slides being-in while driving down the road.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
1993Newell

If I didn't own a Newell my only other option would be a Prevost conversion. But our coach provides us with all that we need so we are happy with it! Good luck on finding a new coach that will be more suitable for your needs.

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
fulltiming

If I needed to back down to a plastic coach, my first choice would be Foretravel.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Randy J

Bought our coach not to long ago. So wouldn't even know what else. Is out there?

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
jdaniel

I had heard the Foretravel was supposed to be good quality but the interiors look kinda plain . The outside looks good and their customers seem happy with their service. Still not on par with Newell but thats to be expected. Anybody know anything about the Beaver Marquis?
My wife says we are wasting our time KNOWING we are not going to be happy with anything but the Newell. Shes probably right but I am still curious.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
NewellCrazy

After owning the best how can you down grade?? In my view a Prevost conversion is the only other coach comparable to a Newell that I would give my consideration too.

Listen to your wife Jimmy, Debbie knows best.

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
jdaniel

Great comment about basement air and 4 slides. I would have never thought of the issue going down the road trying to cool the inside with all the slides in.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
express1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
Jimmy, I believe you can find a lot of coach in that price range if you have time to be patient, since timing is everything when you are wanting what you want. Of course after the first of the year prices will drop some more do to the age and being a new year. Condition and mileage will be the biggest determining factor. I have already seen a couple that would probably fit your bill. I understand what you are referring to on the nicer bus conversions and how they are more money, there are those folks that won't have anything but a full blown luxury conversion and or they may not know of the Newell being an option. The latter is usually the case. There are literately dozens of people whom come on this site daily discovering Newell for the first time.

I might add, that if you don't mind a fiberglass coach and everything else in coach design and build meet your requirements, then a Beaver, Foretravel and a couple of others could work. Depending on where I traveled, I would want to know the R Value, any brand slide issues. Like Matt (express1) stated in a recent post, an '03 Travel Supreme has level slides in the front, but I'm guessing not in the rear. I would also want roof airs with a quad, otherwise it seems many owners of coaches don't get comfortable cooling using basement air with all the slides being-in while driving down the road.

Still have the Travel Supreme Select... can make great deal 125-140K about 45,000 miles. just refreshed...(new tires and batteries) always stored inside....
Still now a Newell!
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
express1

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0255.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	3014still a great coach!Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0255.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	3014
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
jdaniel

I'd have no problem with a 4-slide Prevost but they are WAY expensive!!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
speedingsport

If it's not a Newell...Then it's nothing for me!
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
Derek Knight

I don't own a Newell or any coach yet. I found these posts great reading information. Doing a lot of research is wise.
Derek Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 AM   #15
jdaniel

I've had a dozen motorhomes including a couple of new ones. Owning this Newell has really spoiled both of us. My wife is listing our 1991 on eBay as I type this. I feel like we will be patient until we can find an 02-04 Newell in our price range. I still may drive that 2007 Beaver Marquis 4 slide that is in our area. I'll give it a 10 for interior but Ill have to drive it and look at the construction before I could even consider it. I've had several beautiful coaches that seemed to be severely under chassied. Was great once we got parked but it was an adventure getting there!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
Cheri Smith

Our coach is older but we are happy with it! We feel spoiled because it is so well built compared to the cookie cutter MH out there. Of course without a forum like this we would probably not even own one because this is our lifeline support! We're very grateful to everyone here for being so helpful.

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
fulltiming

That's what we are here for. If we support each other and with continued excellent support from the factory, these fine coaches will be on the road for decades to come.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #18
jdaniel

Best customer service for any product I've ever owned! Kudos to the folks at Newell.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
ashley

Send a message via AIM to ashley

I don't have any trouble going down the road with central air. works fine
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 AM   #20
MarkofSJC

The closest as far as quality construction at a $300k price point would be a 2007 ~ 2008 Country Coach. While the Affinity was considered "top of the line", the flush windows proved problematic and I'd recommend the Magna series. They offer a "Donatello" model with bath-and-a-half and 4 slides. Radiant flooring can be had throughout with stacked washer/dryer. IMO it rides, steers and stops far better than the Beaver (hated the steering column coming up between my legs!).

Just a thought.

Mark

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote