Axle replacement info needed. - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
slateblue911

Default Axle replacement info needed.

Does anyone have any idea where I can start to look for replacement axles, wheels and tires?

My 1971 Newell has the older 6-lug wheels with tube type tires. The brakes are the drum type. I want to upgrade to the 10 lug aluminum wheels with tubeless tires. I figure the best way to do this would be to upgrade the entire axle assembly and find something that has front disc brakes also. If that exists.

I think the current axles are the same one found on the older Ford F-600.

Any information would be helpful.

https://www.newellclassic.com/gallery....php?album=145
slateblue911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
fulltiming

Give Newell Tech Support a call tomorrow (they are closed on Fridays) and they may be able to tell you what vehicle the rear end came from and/or who made it. Just call there standard phone number 888-3NEWELL and ask for Tech Support.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Richard and Rhonda

Wow, that is quite an undertaking. I know that Newell used Rockwell axles on my vintage, but I suspect something completely different for yours.

From a little bit of my own research I learned that Rockwell did supply different hub configurations for the straight beam axle on mine. You could fit the axle with a couple of different kind of drums and with disc setup also. You could also specifiy sealed or wet bearings. The point is you may be able to find front assemblies that will mate to your axle that have the bolt pattern and discs you desire,

When you spoke of the rear, were you thinking of replacing the entire axle and housing including differential?

You may have your best luck talking to people in the salvage truck business. If you have the dimensions and axle capacities that you are looking for along with the final drive ratio it will give them something to work with.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
slateblue911

I will gove Newell a call and see if they can help me.

I do want to replace the entire axles. Growing up I was always around large trucks. My grandfather and two of my uncles owned trucking companies. I am definietly not afraid to dismantle the suspension and rework it. The current suspension is fine I just want to make the change to a more safer system. I think the correct way would be to replace both axles with more modern ones.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
HoosierDaddy

I'm thinking you should find a "workhorse" chassis. One of my friends bought the complete chassis with 454 Chevy engine to mount a 1952 Chevrolet COE body on. These chassis are commonly used under step vans and gas Motorhomes. Especially with the demise of several motorhome manufacturers there may be some setting around. You'd get your new tires, axles, engine,transmission and electronics in one package. It would be a modern electronically controlled engine that would serve you well for years. I live up here in RV country...if you get serious about such a project I could check around for you.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
HoosierDaddy

What does your Newell weigh? Another idea.....Find a late model "plastic palace" that's been wrecked..the drive train components may be in great shape as well as some other things you could use such as water pump,battery charger/converter, generator, lp tank etc.
That would be cool....a solid vintage Newell with modern reliable mechanicals...
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
slateblue911

The title shows that my Newell weights just over 15000 lbs.

Here are my plans for a 1 year restoration/update of the coach. These are not in any particular order right now.

1. Remove all non-original parts. I want to get it back to as close to original as possible and bring it forward to a more up to date coach.

2. Clean up all wires, hoses, mechanicals that are not connected or functioning properly.

3. Replace the gas stove with all electric and do away with the propane system. (The refrigerator has already been replaced with all electric.)

4. Since there is only around 125K miles then I want to upgrade the chassis before I replace or modify the engine and trans equipment.

5. Upgrade the electronics. Satellite television. on-board computer systems with internet access, flat panel tv screens, satellite readio, and gaming systems for my kids. Also add outside video cameras for lane changing and backup each with their own LCD panel.

6. Add AC for the driver area. I have added AC to older cars and trucks. I think this is a necessity if I am going to take this anywhere. LOL! Texas gets really hot in the summer.

7. Maybe replace the Generator with a more compact lighter one. Mine has a 4cyl liquid cooled engine and it has to weight a lot.

First and foremost, I am going to get it where I can drive it on a regular basis. Then one by one I will work through each of the systems replacing and upgrading to make this already solid Newell worth even more. I have been very luck that the coach has worked very well with little problems. The engine cranks right up and doesn't smoke. The trans needs to be figured out but at 70 mph the coach moves on down the road. So far I have been extrememly pleased with it.

I have been in the computer technology industry since 1985. Most of these modifications I have done to one car or another. I have remodeled houses that dated back to the late 1800's. Now I get the chance to add all of these systems to one unit. I am extremely excited that I get to do it with such a wonderful coach.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
James Tuckness

I have been in process of renovation of a 71 30' coach for 6 years. I have upgraded some systems and renewed others. Happy to tell you what I know.

James Tuckness
417-866-0261
James Tuckness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
encantotom

you guys are awesome. my 1990 i spent probably close to a 1000 hours on updating and changing. it is fun, but a lot of work. i still have things i want to do, but am waiting till it cools off here.

as for the cameras, try www.rvcams.com and call and ask for tim. he is great and his products are topnotch. my side and rear camera are all on a single monitor and it works great.

i did all the AV upgrades as well. hdmi distribution, svga over cat5, etc. it is fun.

enjoy the journey as much as the finish....or in my case, i dont know if i will ever finish my camper

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 AM   #10
slateblue911

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tuckness View Post
I have been in process of renovation of a 71 30' coach for 6 years. I have upgraded some systems and renewed others. Happy to tell you what I know.

James Tuckness
417-866-0261
James,

Currently there are only two things that I haven't figured out.
1. The braking system setup. I wished that I had a diagram.
2. How the Generator control toggle switches are set up. I cannot see the labels and I do not know which way to toggle them.

Other than those two things, everything else is very straight forward. I may be giving you a call in the future though. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
slateblue911

Quote:
Originally Posted by encantotom View Post
you guys are awesome. my 1990 i spent probably close to a 1000 hours on updating and changing. it is fun, but a lot of work. i still have things i want to do, but am waiting till it cools off here.

as for the cameras, try www.rvcams.com and call and ask for tim. he is great and his products are topnotch. my side and rear camera are all on a single monitor and it works great.

i did all the AV upgrades as well. hdmi distribution, svga over cat5, etc. it is fun.

enjoy the journey as much as the finish....or in my case, i dont know if i will ever finish my camper

later

tom

Tom,

Some projects just keep reinventing themselves. I'm sure I will still be at it 6 years from now. If not with this Newell maybe another one. My biggest problem right now is getting all those !*@#ing staples out of the floor from ripping up the carpet. I just can't move forward until this is done. LOL!

Steve

Old 09-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
James Tuckness

First task for me was rebuild of the complete braking system. All componets and lines were replaced. I have invoices for parts used that can probably save time. Rear axle and front axle were also addressed. At 40 years of age brakes are probably most important.

James Tuckness
71 30' 391 Ford
Old 09-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
slateblue911

Quote:
First task for me was rebuild of the complete braking system. All componets and lines were replaced. I have invoices for parts used that can probably save time. Rear axle and front axle were also addressed. At 40 years of age brakes are probably most important.

James Tuckness
71 30' 391 Ford
James,
Did your Newell have dual boosters on it? I do not know what is original on mine and what was added later. I can't even find where to add brake fluid.

Any parts listing for replacement items would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 09-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
James Tuckness

If you have a Ford chassy, you add fluid to the master cylinder located behind the brake pedal. The operating rod off the brake pedal goes down through a rubber cover over the mouth of the master cylinder. It is hard to reach this and hard to put fluid in. I purchased a power brake bleeding system to work on the brake system and I use it to put fluid in. A small squeez bottle will work. The vaccum booster is located on the frame rail behind the left front wheel. It is probably a hydravac booster. Do you have a air over hydraulic system as well as boosted vaccum? This is an addational brake system using coach air pressure to operate brake system. You will have a hand valve next to the steering wheel.

James
Old 09-07-2009, 04:25 AM   #15
slateblue911

Quote:
If you have a Ford chassy, you add fluid to the master cylinder located behind the brake pedal. The operating rod off the brake pedal goes down through a rubber cover over the mouth of the master cylinder. It is hard to reach this and hard to put fluid in. I purchased a power brake bleeding system to work on the brake system and I use it to put fluid in. A small squeez bottle will work. The vaccum booster is located on the frame rail behind the left front wheel. It is probably a hydravac booster. Do you have a air over hydraulic system as well as boosted vaccum? This is an addational brake system using coach air pressure to operate brake system. You will have a hand valve next to the steering wheel.

James

I have two of these cylinders under the brake pedal hinge. Do I remove the pedal rod from the top and then put the fluid in or do I have to remove something else. On my Newell the previous owner ran a tube from the fuse box down through one of the rubber boots on one of the cylinders. I take it that this was not done from the factory as it only went to one of the cylinders and not both. At first i though that it might have been a vent tube but then it would have been on both and not just one.

Maybe there is a better system out there as this setup seems to look like it will be a pain to update or service.

Thanks for the information. It's starting to make sense now.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:28 AM   #16
slateblue911

James,

I think I just have a hydravac system. I cann[t find where it is ais assisted. I do however see where they split it into two vacuum systems. I think I just need to rip it all out and redo it. At least then I will know what components are in the system and how they are working.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 09-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
James Tuckness

Your original owner probably used the tube to fill the brake fluid. Systems in that era would often used fluid and you needed to check and top off fluid leval like you do your oil. Newell, would usually use a vehicle chasie that was ordered from Ford or Dodge. The original system in good repair will give good service. Parts are available through a heavy truck brake company or even through Oreilly auto parts. Oreilly being best first source. Some times they have to be ordered, I had to wait as 6 weeks for my rear wheel cylinders, Kelsey Hayse were common for heavy truck system. Changes to systems are often difficult to do and expensive. Your system is diffrent than mine if it has 2 master cylinders and hydravac units. This will give you a 2 zone break system. This is what modern cars have so you only loose front or rear breaks in event of failure. School busses also had this type of system. Newell built for safety and performance and will be hard to better. My system had a zoned system throught the Mico Air over hydraulic system that devides my system into 2 zones. The original dual wheel brake actuator was no longer made by Mico however they built actuators to match my vehicle weight and air pressure. I constructed mounts for them and plumbed into front and rear zones. Two weeks after replacment of system the only thing I did not replace, hydraulic stop light switch failed. System lost all breaking from foot pedal as we were slowing to stop light , about 45 mph with traffic in front already stoped. The $1,100 for the new Mico parts paid off then as we were easly able to stop with the back up air over hydraulic system. Good brakes are a pleasure.

James
Old 10-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #18
slateblue911

James,

I haven't gotten to the braking system yet. I have been pulling old carpet staples and pulling extra power wires from the dash out that the previous owner used to power all kinds of things. I have almost finished and when I do the brakes will be next. Thanks for the good information. I still don't see how you fill the fluid where there doesn't seem to be a resovoir.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #19
James Tuckness

Steve,
A little phone time would let us cover a lot of ground about your Newell.
My E-mail is JSTuckit@aol.com Phone 417-866-0261.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #20
slateblue911

James,

I just sent you an email. I am waiting on doing the chassis work until I get the interior completed. Hopefully it will be within a month or so.

Steve