Tech Talk Archives 7 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Neweller

Default Tech Talk Archives 7

A
715 7/31/2002 1:45:49 PM 7/31/2002 Charles R. Cravens craminc@juno.com 24 hour response line Thank You for the emergency phone service [Newell's 24/7 service hotline - editior]. I was broken down at Williams Detriot Diesel in Tucson Arizona. Willimas Detriot Diesel does not carry OEM parts. Two seperate breakers were worn out for the ignition system and the coach would shut down without a code. Paul was able to discuss possible solutions and they placed us on towards our vacation. I have ordered the replacements parts and will get them installed. Thank You for your kind and timely service.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Neweller

Q
716 7/31/2002 1:50:22 PM 7/31/2002 Charles R. Cravens craminc@juno.com Generator Fumes We have recently experienced fumes from our Generator and was wondering where to start the search to solve this problem. We have had to replace the exhaust pipe do to road damage.Thank You

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Neweller

Q
717 8/1/2002 6:19:25 PM 8/2/2002 ken mccarlk@rogers.com brake light wire trying to locate the brake light wire, color or location , i am rewiring the back of the coach , it is a 40 1984

-Bob Marley
Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Neweller

Q
720 8/3/2002 5:45:22 AM 8/3/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Use New Favorite or Bookmark If you use the Favorite or Bookmark feature of your Browser to get to the Newell TechTalk board, to view the latest version of the TechTalk Board, you will need to update your Favorite or Bookmark list. Go back to www.NewellCoach.com, click into the board from the web site, and add a new Favorite or Bookmark, then delete your old Favorite or Bookmark. The new address sorts the Board in a more user-friendly order. We had noticed that following a message thread was difficult, as the board sorted and displayed new replys to messages based upon the date of the original posting. The only way to see a new reply to an older message, or even know it was there, was to scroll back on the list to the page showing the original message post and clicking on the original. That meant sorting back through some 300 message subjects. The board now sorts by the date of the latest posting, whether it is a new message or a reply. All new replys, as well as new messages, will appear first at the top of the board.

-Bob Marley
Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Neweller

Q
721 8/3/2002 5:56:42 AM 8/3/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Tech Talk Joe, sorry to hear that you are retiring from active motor homing. Through the years, we've enjoyed the company of you and Mary. However, don't hesitate to stop in at the factory anytime you're in the area. -Your Friends at Newell Coach

-Bob Marley
Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Neweller

q
723 8/4/2002 4:07:53 pm 8/5/2002 richard rafter r.rafter@worldnet.itt.com what is a joey bed? I am scanning newell for a good used 1999-200-1 unit and i continue to encouner "joey bed" as options.

what are they?

-Bob Marley
Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Neweller

Q
724 8/5/2002 5:02:08 AM 8/5/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com WHAT IS A JOEY BED? A Joey Bed is the brand name of a slide-out platform or shallow drawer installed on the floor of a storage bay. These drawers allow easier loading and access for items stored in the bays. Newell has factory installed Joey beds and similar custom built drawers for over 20 years. They can easily be purchased and retrofit if a coach you find is not already so equipped.

-Bob Marley
Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Neweller

A
725 8/5/2002 5:17:13 AM 8/5/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Generator Fumes THIS IS A SAFETY HAZARD! You should not operate the generator until you identify and resolve this problem. In order for the front-mounted generator in a Newell to slide in and out without disconnecting the exhaust, the exhaust system incorporates a sliding or flexible joint. This component requires periodic inspection and occasional replacement and should be included in your Schedulede Maintenance. You mention that you replaced the exhaust pipe. Recently? You might check out these repairs and confirm that the new pipe is not leaking. It goes without saying that no exhaust fumes should be leaking from the exhaust pipe anywhere in the generator compartment or under the coach. Finally, you should check for oil or fuel leaks from the generator engine. Fluid leaking onto hot areas of the engine can create fumes, and fluid leaks create a fire hazard. A
727 8/6/2002 5:11:23 PM 8/6/2002 Scott P. slpeatross@aol.com Shorter length 80's vintage Newells Were Newell coaches made in lengths shorter than 40' during the eighties? I am interested in a used one, but have never located one. Do they exist?

-Bob Marley
Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #9
Neweller

Q
728 8/6/2002 6:29:19 PM 8/6/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Shorter length 80's vintage Newells Actually, from sometime in 1979 until through 1983, the longest Newells built actually were 38'6" (some 40s had been built through the mid-1970s). Forty foot coaches were built again starting in 1984, with longer than 40 footers beginning in 1989. As far as shorter than 40 coaches, there have been a few through the years, with more 37s, 38s, and 39s built than 35s or 36s. Since most of the chassis and interior components are shared between, say, a 35 and a 40 (or even a 45), there was not much of a price difference. For essentially the same money, most buyers opted for the longer coaches.

-Bob Marley
Old 09-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
Neweller

A
729 8/11/2002 1:14:10 PM 8/13/2002 Bill Eriksen bill@apcx.net Trailer hitch Hi. In looking through all the specs and descriptions online, I did not see anything concerning a trailer hitch, so that I may tow a trailer for even more room or possibly a smaller vehicle for driving about at any particular destination. Can we get a trailer hitch? If so what capacity? Thank you.

-Bob Marley
Old 09-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
Neweller

Q
730 8/13/2002 6:50:48 PM 8/13/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Trailer hitch We're not exactly clear as to your question. All Newells going back at least 20 years have had 5000 lb. capacity trailer hitches installed as standard equipment. Is there no hitch on your coach? If so, what model year is it? Or perhaps, are you shopping for a Newell?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #12
Neweller

A
731 8/13/2002 8:07:41 PM 8/14/2002 Bill Eriksen bill@apcx.net Trailer hitch I am anticipating purchasing a coach in the next year or so and I am starting my inquiries now so as to plan my purchase carefully. I see that in reviewing the Specifications list under Custom Coaches that the trailer hitch is mentioned in the fifth section entitled Standard Equipment. It was right in front of me all the time. However, the capacity is not stated. Do I understand your statement correctly that the 5000 lb. capacity of the trailer refers to it's carrying capability, not the gross trailer weight? If that is correct, this seems odd to me because my 3/4 pickup truck has that same towing capacity. I would think that a 45' Newell coach would be able to handle more. That would mean that I could not trailer my pickup truck behind my future Newell coach. Is there an optional hitch available that has more capacity? Also what is the tongue weight capability of the hitch? Thank you. Bill Eriksen

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
Neweller

A
732 8/13/2002 8:28:50 PM 8/14/2002 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net Electric Shock Plugged into a 3 prong extension cord, 120 volts to supply coach with electric for lights. Went to unlock lower compartment and noticed a slight flow of current through my sweaty little palm?

Now I know that a ground is missing somewhere, and I was furnishing the ground. Any suggestions on where to look for this missing ground?

Plugged into regular electric receptacle and this condition does not exist?
Any ideas or suggestions?

Kelly

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #14
Neweller

Q
733 8/14/2002 5:24:13 AM 8/14/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Trailer hitch Thanks for the clarification. The standard hitch is an "off-the-shelf" purchased component rated for towing 5000 lbs. and 500 lbs. tongue weight. Certainly, the coach is capable of towing much more weight, and customers often specify heavier hitches be installed during production or as a retrofit. Some of our NASCAR and IRL customers tow trailers in the 15,000 lb. range. Setting up a new or preowned Newell to tow your pickup is not a challenge.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #15
Neweller

A
734 8/16/2002 7:26:48 AM 8/16/2002 Tommy Klie tommy@westcliffeinc.com Motor Oil I am inbetween a rock and a hard place. The oil pan is leaking on the Detroit Series 60. The repair personnel at the authorized Detroit Deisel was going to replace the oil with regular oil not Mobile Delvac 1. They stated that they are using just regualar motor oil on all Roadway truck the 1,000,000 miles. Question, why do you recommed Delvac 1 and does any one use regular motor oil in their coach???

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #16
Neweller

Q
735 8/16/2002 10:49:24 AM 8/17/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Motor Oil As you point out, Newell recommends Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic motor oil. Delvac 1 has superior specifications and operational advantages over conventional mineral based oils. For example, Delvac 1 can operate at higher temperatures without damage to the oil (and engine) and also has less evaporative losses at high temperatures. The multi-viscosity characteristics are more stable, and therefore the oil retains virtually the entire viscosity range (5W-40) for the 15,000 mile recommended drain interval or longer, while conventional oils will experience "shear down," perhaps to, say, 5W-30 toward the end of the mileage range. Engineers tell us that dyno tests show engines running high quality synthetic oils produce 2 or 3 percent more power and get better fuel mileage versus engines running mineral base oils. That's why virtually all major leagure motorsports teams (NASCAR Winston Cup, CART, IRL, Formula 1) use synthetic oils in their race cars. That said, conventional oils that meet the Detroit Diesel specs, such as Chevron Delo 100 or Delo 400, will perform satisfactorily in a Series 60-powered Newell, with engines running as far as the million miles you mention. But we are convinced that the best motor oils (as well as gear oils, automatic transmission fluids, greases, etc.) are synthetic. Not mandatory, but recommended.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #17
Neweller

A
737 8/16/2002 7:45:39 PM 8/17/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Electric Shock First, I am not an electrician nor do I pretend to be one, but if my memory serves me right, the ground wire is a safety back up to the nuetral(common). RV's are somewhat unique in that the neutral and the ground do not share a common buss unless using the generator. In other words, when you plug into campground power, your two hots come in on the red and black and go back on the white (alternating/phased) and the green is a 'separate' safety backup in the event of a neutral failure or screwed up power supply. I think the key words in your question was that when plugged into a "regular receptacle" the condition no longer existed. Perhaps the extension cord or outlet you were using had a broken neutral and the current had to return via the green safety ground. If that was the case than your sweaty palm may well be a better conductor than the ground on the 3 prong extension cord. Bottom line- You need to follow up on the problem- if it was in the source ( I suspect it was), no problem, but if the problem is in your rig you need to have an electrician check it out as you may get a 'shocking' surprise the next time you put your key in the door.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #18
Neweller

A
738 8/19/2002 8:57:03 AM 8/19/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Electric Shock Newell engineering suggests you check for reversed polarity. Perhaps the extension cord is mis-wired if this is the only time you experience the problem. Newells built since the early 80s have a red "polarity reveresed" warning light mounted near the house volt and amp gauges.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #19
Neweller

A
740 8/21/2002 9:19:22 PM 8/22/2002 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net Electric Shock Thanks to everyone, it was in the extension cord, neutral was gone, so it was just searching for a path, checking all extension cords in the shop. I don't want to be a real shocker. Thanks, Kelly

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
Neweller

A
742 8/24/2002 7:01:42 AM 8/24/2002 Robert Wilson coyote_cutters@hotmail.com Airbags How Many is Enough? I drove a 1996 Newell coach and found the ride to be second to no one. What do you do to the suspesion to out do other companies like Roadmaster. I currently own a 2000 Monoco Winsor and find the ride getting more bumpy as the miles add up. I currently have 36,000 miles on this rig and find that it will shake itself apart in the near future! So a big consideration when buying a bus is diffinitely the suspension. As things go now the ride is about the only concern when considering a purchase.

-Bob Marley