93 sliding window not closing completely - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
77newell

Default 93 sliding window not closing completely

Since I've owned my 93 coach the sliding window behind the driver's seat has been held closed by a drop-in bar in the lower track and there has been weatherstripping foam stuffed in a gap between the fixed window and the sliding window. The problem originated due to the slider not closing far enough for the cam latch to engage in a slot in the fixed window and when people tried to lock the window the cam hit the window frame and pushed the slider away resulting in the extrusion on the slider permanently bowing.

It turns out the reason the slider would not close completely was that a sealing strip at the bottom of the sealing groove on the vertical part of the fixed window had slid down onto the curved section of the corner. I slid it up with a small screwdriver and the slider now closes. I won't bore you with all the other endless things I tried that didn't work.

I checked with Peninsula glass and they confirmed they supplied the window back in 93 but the extrusions were no longer available. So I unscrewed the bowed part from the rest of the window while the window was in place. Between a couple sawhorses I gently straightened the piece and then added a reinforcement strip of aluminum vertical to the glass to resist bowing. The strip was attached with double sided tape used to attach mouldings on vehicles.

The toughest part of the job was getting another two sided tape in place between the outside of the glass and the previously bowed but now straight extrusion. I put the tape on the extrusion and left the liner on the other side with some liner hanging off either end. After the extrusion was back in place I pressed the glass away from the frame and slowly pulled the liner off. Then I went inside the coach and installed the rubber gasket that presses the window against the foam tape.

I'm posting this in case someone else starts having problems locking this era of window and how to get things back to normal of some bowing has occurred.

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
folivier

Great job Jon! That one had me baffled and I had planned to replace the window if we kept it.
Sounds like you are getting the '93 in great shape.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
77newell

Forest: thanks, coming from you that feels like a real compliment. I was OK with it until last week when the granddaughters decided the safety looked an awful lot like a sword for pretend fights that got a little too real for me. Still, I'm glad the mystery is solved.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
JustDustin

Jon kids are good at making swords for pretend fights out of anything that closely resembles such. Even if it's a lock for the coach window. Good to hear the mystery has been solved.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
HoosierDaddy

Thamnks for posting Jon. The windows on my '93 need some attention.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote