Dumping air on tag axle - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Hardtrigger

Default Dumping air on tag axle

Hello everyone hope all is well!! Been out here on Oregon coast and this is by far the best time to be out here. 70 degrees and absolutly beautiful with 0 wind. Anthoe we be leaving a little furthue south in the morning most likely and I question on how manty of you release the air in tag when turning mostly a 90 degree nturn or sharper? We use to drop the air in our spread axle trailers on our class 8 trucks when turning for the 10 foot spread between axles put alot of sheer pressure on the rear tires in turning mode. With this Newell coach#255 I'm not sure dumping air on such a close wheel spread from drives to tag is necessary? Do you drivers tend to drop the air in your tags or let it be on your sharp turns in mostly city driving? Hope everyones cool and thanx in advance! Robert

Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Barry Rooker

Our coach, #604, is a 2001 and the few times I tried to dump the air in the tag to turn more sharply, I thought the coach was going to drag on the ground. It really settled down. So I quit doing it.

Yes, our coach makes big turns at RV parks, etc, but seldom a serious problem. I don't think the "hostlers" at Newell dump the air as they move the coaches in & out of the service shop stalls. Lots of rubber rubbed off on the concrete around Newell's shop. Just put a dog out for a walk around there and look at their feet afterward.

Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
rheavn

Asked Newell just that question. I was told to not dump the tag air on turns. Further they stated the tag switch is only designed to take weight off drive axle at hwy scales if needed and to increase traction in a slippery situation.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
Wally Arntzen

I dump the air on mine when doing short turn arounds such as backing and going forward to turn around in a tight area. My coach does not drop low to the ground like yours does so I suspect that something may be causing the air from your drive axcel to go down with the tag. My friend who runs a bus repair shop discovered that the a laterel arm shock that is up above the tag was in need replacement and he stated to me that it was worn out from not releasing the air when making sharp turns at slow speeds. I used to keep my coach in building behind my house and every I took it out I had to back it out and turn it around in a very short area which took several back and forward moves to get it done. When I drop the air in the tag it makes a major difference in the turning radius. We had to have a new lateral shop made at CATCO which sells and makes truck parts.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote