Power Steering went out - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
Hardtrigger

Default Power Steering went out

Was driving down Hwy 1 in a pretty hilly tight part of highway 1 today on the Oregon Coast when without notice power steering pump gave out and let me tell ya that is alot of work to steer 45000 lb coach for the day without assist! Going to milk it home to Boise for Detroit shops say it is a part not associated with Detroit. Finally got to interstate and is easier to steer at higher speed and only 300 miles yet to go! This tear out looks sort of a chore being the pump is in front of engine way back in front of engine compartment and have no clue how to get to it let alone remove the pump. Has anyone on the board ever have to replace their pump? I called Newell and they are very courteous but they have no idea whether it is a power steering pump or just a hydraulic pump to supply fluid to the gear box in front of coach. They are awaiting for me to remove which ever pump it is to give them Manufacturer and part number! Again has anyone had experience in identifying and removing steering pump? All three repair shops I stopped at had no openings for the week if anyone is curious why I would cruise around in a Newell with manuel steering. Ha ha

Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Ron Skeen

I lost the power steering on my 89 and the reason was a hose fails halfway toward the front of the coach. I fix the hose after adding fluid and keep driving till I got to my destination. Are you sure your pump is not working? Have you notice any fluids deposit anywhere?

1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Hardtrigger

Thanx for the reply Ron! Nope all dry underneath and resevoir is still full. Cant understand how it would shut down like a flip of a switch! No relays or fuses going to pump I take it as it all looks mechanical driven. Very tight spot way in front of engine compartment. Hope queen bed in back has removable frame as it looks as if that is only access to get to pump. Thanx again, Robert
Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
HoosierDaddy

I have NO experience with the Newell system , however there may be a problem in the steering box itself . Most automobiles have a rotary and spool valve. If they malfunction they prevent the steering fluid from providing assistance. Check the power steering fluid for metal particles that would indicate pump wear.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Richard and Rhonda

Dean makes a great point. Disconnect the input hose to the steering gear box and pressure test it. You don't want to pull the pump only to discover it was a steering gear problem.

Google around on the TRW website and you will find a couple of manuals on how to test the system.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Hardtrigger

Three hoses are connected to the resevoir and the one hose that feeds the pump had the gasket that is under the lid stuck half way from outlet to hose inlet. Fished it out replaced little fluid i lost and crossed my fingers that fluid that was not getting to the pump would be the problem. Was not. Just as difficult to steer, frustrated! If it is in the steering box please share on where location is so as my friend (mechanic) and I may look for solution there! Have strong feeling for some reason there is not a problem with pump though that may be next step. Did I fry pump with lack of fluid? Who knows how long that gasket was there cause there was a gasket under the lid. Also have air leaking out of generator box towards the rear,is there a tank back in there? Found the slight leak in front passenger door where blower is from tank outlet and corrected that. I think I read on forum there is a total of nine tanks and prey that the leak in generator is a tank for I do not want to remove generator to repair lines way back in there. I guess this years vacation is over due to issues evertime I start the damn thing. Any other advise is very much appreciated and applied from all! Thanx again, Robert
Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Richard and Rhonda

Steering gear box will be under coach directly underneath steering column. Don't ever crawl under coach without jack stands or some other sturdy means of keeping the coach from dropping on you. It will ruin your whole day.

You will see two hyd hoses connected to the box. I can't tell you which one is supply and which is return. My first sanity check would be to disconnect hoses and start engine. Have a container large enough to collect five gallons of hyd fluid.

If nothing is coming out then you probably have a pump problem.

The proper way to check the pump would be to install a gauge on the discharge end and measure the pressure.

email me richard.entrekin@alconlabs.com and I will send you a copy of the TRW troubleshooting manual. The last section talks about how to diagnose the system.

We all get agitated from time to time.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
Hardtrigger

Found steering box and all air tanks. Will do pressure test when friend (mechanic) arrives.Wow steering box will take time to remove and hope that is the way to go between that or pump. I sure hope I can find someone around here that works or rebuilds steering boxes cause people I really really really want to go in this coach.Saved money for a while to get this coach and was trying to figure between Tourmaster with 400 Cummings and 40,000 miles or this beautiful machine with 180,000 miles and prayed I chose the correct choice for all my life I wanted a Newell and the Misses wanted the newer less mile Cummings! Well she is waiting to go and I need to get this fixed so as I can use the front door when I come into the house not sneak through side door and kinda, just kinda avoid her til steering works and leaving the driveway.Just a hour ago I let my job go and pulled most savings and want some highway time if you know what I mean? Anyhows thanx for the tips. Robert
Old 09-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Hardtrigger

Richard you been e-mailed thank you sir!!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Hardtrigger

K will remove both hoses and see if pump is moving the fluid on down this 50 feet of hose. If not than I will assume the steering box imploded and remove it. If no gushing of fluid than we shall attack the pump and get it shipped out and exchanged. If neither works I think I will let the lady in my life take first ups in driving out of town and I will sit in co-pilots seat and relax and have my turn to tell her HEY stay on the road will ya?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
Hardtrigger

Pulled the power steering pump and took it to the local pump house and they said pump was operating as should. In fact the vickers pump had looked as if it was replaced not long ago. The gentleman testing the pump said at times the relief valve on the pump sometimes gets stuck and looked as it should when he tore iy apart but now it is reassembled and hopefully fingers crossed might return to power assist on the steering. Guess I will soon know. Hope everyone is well, Robert
Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
Hardtrigger

Reassembled the power steering unit on the 8v92 and everything works back to normal. Gentleman that had inspected the pump went ahead and replaced the shaft as requested by me for it had a shallow groove and thought why not. Wonder what put the shallow groove on shaft? Anyhow replaced all fluids and the pump expert suggested I put in a quart of Lucas Power Steering conditioner and said he swears by it. No problem with that for I use Lucas on all fuel fill ups in the past with my class 8 trucks and currently with Coach for I have always had great success with Lucas for fuel mileage and much less smoke from exhuast. Anyhow after reconnect pump and hoses power steering works better than ever before. Wow heading out in the morning for a three month expedition with my babies(co-pilot and coach)! Thanx for all responses and input from all who has in the past month!! Robert
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
MarkofSJC

I love a happy ending! And they're even riding (in style) off into the sunset! LOL

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote