Tech Talk Archives 10 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
Neweller

Default Tech Talk Archives 10

Q
1216 1/24/2004 2:30:54 PM 1/24/2004 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com coach height The coach height, to the top of the satellite antenna dome, is approximately 13' 2". This is too close to call without actually checking it physically. However, if the satellite dome is too tall, you can consider removing the rooftop dome and using a dish mounted on a tripod on the ground. A
1217 1/29/2004 10:53:48 AM 2/5/2004 Gordon enery11@yahoo.com Tag Axel Steering Please explain the operation of the rear steering tag axle. Is there another web site that would have any more of this detail?

Thanks

Gordon

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
Neweller

Q
1218 2/4/2004 10:09:46 AM 2/5/2004 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Guages & Shutdown My 1984 with a Detriot 8V92 has wires at the rear terminal panel labelled "engine oil temperature" & "transmission temperature". Wires with the same markings are labelled "open" on the front terminal. I can see a sensor in the oil pan so what is the proper guage for oil temperature and the proper guage for transmission temperature? Guages have to match the sensor for accurate readings.
A switch on the dashboard is labelled "override". What does this spring loaded normally closed switch control? Detriot diesel documentation mentions a "hot wire relay" in the shutdown loop prior to 1988. Is such a relay used and where is it? I ask because a normally open high temperature sensor is on the driver side of the engine. It is provided power by the engine battery ( from the rear panel terminal labelled "Ignition fuel valve")and the output is wired to the shutdown solenoid. I do not see how a high temperature shutdown can be "overriden" on my coach. The high temperature sensor is not the original so some prior owner might have defeated the prior "override" capability. The orignal high temperature sensor would illumunate the high temperature light on the dash. Did that same wire go to a "hot wire relay" somewhere? I would like to restore the "override" capability if I can.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
Neweller

Q
1219 2/4/2004 5:41:15 PM 2/5/2004 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net cruise control handle '79 Newell - cruise control handle broke where it snaps onto turn signal. Need source for replacement handle. Q
1221 2/6/2004 11:57:15 AM 2/7/2004 Adam Walkup Luvolekars@AOL.com Newell Classic Would anyone have any leads on a '78-'83 Newell that is reasonably priced. I would love to find something that needs engine work, etc. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
Neweller

Q
1223 2/7/2004 1:59:22 PM 2/7/2004 Mark Harison mharison@starband.net 1976 36ft coach I have a 1975 35' with original binders containing most of the original equipment brochures and some typwritten general instructions. I don't think that there was a comprehensive one-book covering all manuals in those days. I'll be glad to get you copies of anything I have. Engine is a Cat 1160 with 6-speed Allison.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
Neweller

Q
1223 2/7/2004 1:59:22 PM 2/7/2004 Mark Harison mharison@starband.net 1976 36ft coach I have a 1975 35' with original binders containing most of the original equipment brochures and some typwritten general instructions. I don't think that there was a comprehensive one-book covering all manuals in those days. I'll be glad to get you copies of anything I have. Engine is a Cat 1160 with 6-speed Allison.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #6
Neweller

A
1225 2/9/2004 5:24:25 PM 2/9/2004 John Williams stcywllms@cs.com 1976 36ft coach Thanks, I need help on the wiring diagrams. If you have these please let me know. This unit has a 3208 Cat and an Allison MT 643 transmission which are pretty generic. If you have anything that would help please respond back and I'll get back.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
Neweller

A
1225 2/9/2004 5:24:25 PM 2/9/2004 John Williams stcywllms@cs.com 1976 36ft coach Thanks, I need help on the wiring diagrams. If you have these please let me know. This unit has a 3208 Cat and an Allison MT 643 transmission which are pretty generic. If you have anything that would help please respond back and I'll get back. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wanderlodge/

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #8
Neweller

A
1229 2/17/2004 12:49:08 PM 2/18/2004 mike yotguy@aol.com Hot Water I have a 1987 40'....What is an inexpensive way to get more or continuous hot water without running genset?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
Neweller

Q
1231 2/17/2004 9:30:11 PM 2/18/2004 Leon W.Yuille lyuille@giant.com Fuel shut-off relay Series 60 I have a 96 Newell that I'am having the fuel shut-off relay replaced for the second time. This is an unsafe condition. What is wrong with this system, and what does it take to correct it?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #10
Neweller

Q
1232 2/19/2004 8:32:25 AM 2/20/2004 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Fuel shut-off relay Series 60 We are puzzled by the description of this problem. Are you referring to the relay used to shut down the engine when the ignition key is turned off? If so, have you consulted a Detroit Diesel servicing dealer? The Series 60 fuel system, including the shut down relay, has proven very reliable over the years, and we suspect you have some malfunction requiring the attention of a qualified Detroit Diesel technician.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #11
Neweller

A
1233 2/20/2004 11:23:13 AM 2/20/2004 otto burleson ottoburleson@hotmail.com change price on 1988 newell Please change the price of my 1988 40 tag 8v92 etc from $135,000 to $97,500 as soon as you can reasonable do so. Thank you ottoburleson Albuq NM

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
Neweller

Q
1235 2/21/2004 8:47:28 PM 2/21/2004 Brion Johnston nmbjohnston@aol.com Newell Classic As of today (2/21) there is a 1975 33' coach on E-bay out of Portales, NM. After looking at the pictures, I can tell you my 1979 inside and outside is very similar to it, and it would be similar to others in the 1978 - 81 range. It has a Cummins 555 engine, 4 speed transmission, and single rear axle.

My coach is a 36" model, and my wife and I love it. Good luck on your hunt!

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
Neweller

A
1236 2/22/2004 11:36:17 AM 2/22/2004 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com cruise control handle Rich,

My '78 had the old vacuum c. control with a separate 12V vacuum pump just to support it. When it quit I bought a new totally electric unit that didn't require vacuum or air. Around $180.00. I can't remember where I got it but I believe it was made by Dana. It has it's own Little "stalk" that mounts independant of the signal lever.Since my Newell is in winter storage I cant get more info at the moment.

Dean

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #14
Neweller

A
1238 2/26/2004 1:16:41 PM 2/26/2004 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net 77 Coach Heater Boost Pump I thought I would update whoever is interested in my installation of a boost pump in the engine coolant circuit that feeds the heaters.

My system is 1/2" copper pipe. I bought a 1" Bergstrom pump and installed in the hose just downstream from the engine water pump outlet. I connected it electrically to a solenoid that was left vacant in the right rear electrical panel when the Bendix cruise control was removed. That way I didn't need to run a heavier wire all the way from the front not did I put significant load on the ignition switch that already has too much load on it.

Now as soon as the engine shows the slightest heat I can have heat up front even at low engine speeds. I didn't have this before installing the pump even though I thoroughly flushed all the lines. I still may have a restriction but I doubt it. At high engine speeds I can turn the pump off and it makes no noticeable difference in the front heater output. I suspect the oversize pump doesn't make a restriction when turned off. I would like to take credit for being so smart but it was just dummb luck.

On a recent winter trip I was still chilly while on the road in temperatures below 20 degrees. Not bad but not comfortable either. Then I discovered that my main entry door was slightly bowed outwards in the middle. I added a little foam weatherstrip and what a difference. We cruised home in 20 degree weather with only the defroster on by mistake and were almost entirely comfortable.

Lessons learned: the pump will help heat get to you earlier and eliminating air leaks will definitely help keep the heat in. I can send a picture of the pump setup if anyone is interested.

All the best to Newell for a great coach even when it is old enough to have voted in the last election.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
Neweller

Q
1239 2/26/2004 6:16:55 PM 2/26/2004 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net cruise control handle Dean,
Thank you for the info. Not certain what kind of CC we have. It works well, but the control head snaps onto the turn signal handle, and the plastic broke - old age.
If unable to get a new one, will look into new electronic CC. Appreciate the beand name info. If you get hold of any additional info, please keep me in mind.
Best,
Rich Farr
918 296-0230

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
Neweller

A
1240 2/26/2004 6:17:34 PM 2/26/2004 Tony Combs combsandmore@aol.com air brakes I have a 1975 Newell motorcoach. It has the wedge style air brakes. Is there any way to adjust the brakes. It pulls left on hard braking and sometimes locks the left front wheel. When I am pulling a heavy load, they seem to fade and take excessive braking pressure. The pulling fades also until they cool down. The coach had new shoes and drums when I purchased it in May 2003. Any help would be appreciated.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #17
Neweller

Q
1241 2/26/2004 6:21:25 PM 2/26/2004 Tony Combs combsandmore@aol.com 1976 36ft coach I have the wiring blueprints for a 1975 model with a 3208 CAT and 6 speed Allison. If you want a copy of them, let me know.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #18
Neweller

A
1242 2/27/2004 7:35:31 AM 2/27/2004 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com air brakes Your coach has manual slack adjusters. They should be checked and
adjusted on a regular basis. Most heavy duty truck shops are capable of
doing this procedure, and it normally takes a matter of minutes. If
your brakes are not adjusted properly you can experience the pulling
and fading that you describe. Another indicator that your brakes need adjustment is a reduction in the
effectiveness of the parking brake to hold the coach on a slope. Late model coaches have automatic slack adjusters. However, even the automatic adjusters should be checked occasionally to confirm they are working properly.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #19
Neweller

A
1243 2/27/2004 6:24:30 PM 2/28/2004 Tim Durham timdur@cox.net coach height I am taking delivery of a 2000 45' 8" unit. Have a 40 X 70 building with door opening of 12' 3". Not large enough for my coach with a ride height of 13' to the top of the dome at road height. Dumping all air brings the coach to 12' 9". But dumping the air and driving even slowly can be hazardous to tire sidewalls if there is not enough clearance in the fender wells. Newell claims that if you are on level ground and pull straight in or out that you should not rub the sidewalls. Don't count on it though. My solution - big bucks to enlarge the building on an existing slab, with a door opening of 13' 8".

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #20
Neweller

A
1244 2/28/2004 7:04:00 AM 2/28/2004 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com coach height If the fender wells are too tight to move the coach with the air dumped (typically, only the drive axle tires are an issue), material can be removed from the inner edges of the fender moldings to provide the needed clearance. However, if your door opening is only 12' 3", the coach with a satellite dome is not going to fit. Either removing the DSS dome or modifying the building will probably be required.

-Bob Marley