screen door modification - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
David Carrol

Default screen door modification

Does anyone know of a screen door that can be fitted to a classic newell.

David Carrol

Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
MrE

David, that's a good question as the Newell can't (shouldn't) be fit with the traditional RV screen door. What you would be looking for is a Phantom screen, here's an earlier post on the forum explaining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
Does yours have the magnets or a hook mechanism at top and bottom? Is it retracting properly? Just trying to get some clarity to what the problem is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post

I'm just using these pictures as examples of phantom screen doors used on luxury RV's. I have noticed a couple styles on Newell. I purchased a retractable screen from Lowes, shortened it and put it on a 1986 Newell a while back, it worked great. It is very similar product to the old pull down shades, but a better designed spring type and roller mechanism. Just some thoughts and ideas on the matter. The retracting roller springs get weak over time and use.

Just an example of replacements at a huge savings from what the factory will charge for the DIY guy!

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
86loco

We have been using a temporary screen setup until now and after viewing the photo example above, now makes this look to be a very reasonable way to go.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Charlotte Rosita

A "Phantom screen" is this a brand? type of material? or style of screen door? I need one! I need one!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
MrE

Phantom Screens is a brand of retractable screen doors. Phantom Screens • Retractable screens for doors, windows, decks, patios, verandas, & other large openings. • Southern California If you do a Google search for 'retractable screen doors' you will find multiple manufactures. I believe the Newell Coach factory installs the Phantom Screens brand.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote