Rust Preventative linseed oil? How do you think I should apply it? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
jimbo

Default Rust Preventative linseed oil? How do you think I should apply it?

We are currently parked really close to the Gulf of Mexico. The salt air and fog and humidity are pretty pervasive, and I am concerned about rust on my under-carriage. I was going to spray paint it, but the park we're staying at suggested I coat it with LINSEED OIL. I am wondering how to apply the linseed oil. Do you all know of anything better to use than linseed oil? How do you think I should apply it?

Jimbo

jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
cdat

Linseed oil is extremely flammable until it dries completely, I would be very leery of spraying it on the underside of my a coach. I suggest you contact the mfg of the brand you are thinking of using and see what they have too say, possibly contact Newell about a solution to the rust and salt air.

John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
PIExpress

linseed oil / turpentine - ah one of the ingredients of linoleum. You might look at LPS3 is a corrosion inhibitor - good stuff, but you got to clean first.

LPS 3 Corrosion Inhibitor, Anti Rust: LPS Labs
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
77newell

I'm thinking that unless there is bare metal the probability of corrosion is not that much more than usual. My 77 coach (it's now 35 years old) was driven on salty roads several times and two summers ago I got underneath it and wire brushed the steel, both structural and sheet steel, primed it with a conversion primer (converts residual rust into an effective primer, and then coated with a waxy undercoating. While thin rust was prevalent there was no deep penetrating rust except in a couple of small places in sheet steel in the wheel wells.

The one caution I would suggest is to ensure that the plastic barrier is intact between the aluminum skin and steel structure below the floor line. With moisture and salt together with an absent barrier will rather quickly produce pin-holes in the skin.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Jack Fouts

I thought most all of the Newell's have that foam insulation under them. I have seen it on classics from the eighties up to the newer ones. Were only certain years foamed?

When there is a need, lend a helping hand!
Jack Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
77newell

My 77 coach has no foam insulation sprayed on like later models. I don't know when it was started but it was certainly later than 77.

I was reading late last night on a Prevost site about a guy that was removing the foam from his wheel wells. He didn't like how it looked. He must have a higher aesthetic standard than I do, I don't much care what it looks like in there.

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote