12V Light Fixture not Working - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Cheri Smith

Default 12V Light Fixture not Working

Has any one out there had a light fixture that suddenly stopped working? We have a fixture that is about 12 in. long and it has 2 florescent tubes in it about 10 in. long. It works on 12 v. power. Today when turned on, nothing at all happens. The tubes look good and are fairly new. It's just completely dead. All the other lights work fine. My question, is there a starter or some small part that went bad? Or, do I need to get a whole new fixture. If any one knows anything that may help, please advise. I'm not an electrician but can do some of the minor type repairs. Thanks for any help given.

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
MrE

Sounds like the ballast went bad. PM me your address and I'll send you a couple, or you can replace the fluorescent lights with a LED strip and use a lot less juice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encantotom View Post
hi all,

i spent all of last week replacing ALL of my flourescents and downlights and closet lights.

i have 14 ceiling flourescents (10 12" and 4 18") and 6 of the 4' and one 2'. and 11 downlights.

when i get a chance i will post pictures. the light inside is amazing and the total power savings averages out to about 75 percent.

i used a combination of strip led's.

1. 5050 with 60 led per meter i paid 30 bucks per 16 foot strip

2. 3528 with 60 led per meter i paid 10 bucks per 16 foot strip

3. 5050 RGB with 30 led per meter i paid 20 bucks per 16 foot strip

i took the entire fixture out of the bus. then i stripped all the guts out. then i used aluminum tape and lined the inside of the fixture to made a reflector.

for the front ceiling flourescents i used a strip of 3528 on each SIDE of the fixture. darlene didnt want to see the led's.

for the ones where you couldnt really see them well (under things) i used a single 5050 in the center pointed down. it draws about 400ma for a 12" strip. the 3528 draws 150ma per 12" strip so 300ma per fixture.

for the 18" i used 5050 single strips. it draws 600ma

for the 4 foot and 2 foot ones in the coves i took the cove front off. i built a platform out of wood about 6" high and put a single strip of 3528 the entire length.

the lights are awesome.

underneath the kitchen counter at the kickplate at floor level i put the 5050 rgb with a controller. they are hooked to the aisle light switch.

they go on and off with the switch. you can change colors or flashing, strobing etc with the remote. i mounted the control unit under the sink. just open the door under the sink and point the remote at it.

i also replace the round 906 wedge bulbs under my coves. all 11 of them now draw less power than a single 906 bulb before with better light.

i more than offset the power my new house fridge takes from the inverter.

i will post pictures when i can.

tom

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
The Newell

If there is power going into the fixture, but it won't work with new bulbs, most likely the ballast went out. IMO Led is your best bet.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote