Paint-by-numbers - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
HoosierDaddy

Default Paint-by-numbers

I'm curious as to how much paint would be needed to paint my 45' coach??Also, for those who have had their coach repainted,,,what kind of paint was used (ie. Imron, basecoat-clearcoat, implement enamel???) and are you pleased with the results? Since my Newell is in storage all I can do is think and plan and dream.......
Dean

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
tuga

Dean,

I had a 1993 Newell 44' that was white with blue heart-beat accent stripes. It was painted with Imron, and in 1992 when the coach was built Newell really put it on thick. I could run my fingers over the area where the white & blue colors met and you could feel a ridge!

My 1999 Newell does not have the paint on that thick. It is painted with Imron and 2 coats of clear polyuretane. It is beautiful and the paint is in very good condition for its age.

When I first bought my coach in 2005 I wasn't crazy about the colors: white coach with black, gold, and silver accents. So I started talking to Jerry Allen who is the manager of the Newell paint department. At that time a Newell paint job was running about $32,000. Today I think they are about $40,000. That's a lot of money, but you have to understand that they remove every spec of old paint and get down to the bare aluminum. Then sand, and prime and paint every inch of the coach. Keep in mind that ALL of the mirrors, awnings, etc. have to be removed and re-installed after the painting is complete. It is a big job. If I remember correctly, it takes about 3 weeks or 120 hours. As far as how much paint is used I don't know. Imron paint is about $550 per gallon plus the cost of the catalyst.

The end result is beautiful. Personally, I don't think that you can get your money back out of a new paint job when you sell the coach. If you have it painted, I would just plan on keeping it forever. Newells will last forever!

Just my .02

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
encantotom

the bus shop i go to has a paint booth. i have seen them do some beautiful paintjobs and they are no where near 32-40k.

i bet the newell job is awesome as we know, but i sure wouldnt go there if i had to paint mine unless alot more money pops up in my account.

i can find out from my bus guy how much a full paint job costs for fun. and what paint they use.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
Brad Townsend

Upon a recent visit at Newell I asked the paint guy out of curiosity, approximately how much paint was used on a coach. He had to stop and think, we are talking about the new coach now. His answer was a guess between 30 t0 40 gallons which included the multiple coats of clear coat. Not sure how close this is to being right but that is what he said.
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
Hammer

I think a really good paint job could go for that.. But it better be flawless and lots of airbrush. Im getting close for a repaint on my coach hard to deside how i want to lay out the detail's and graphic's.

My Classic Newell
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote