New satellite system - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
rheavn

Default New satellite system

I know the technology changes very quickly. I only have three requests from a system. 1. Works with either Dish or Direct services. 2. Reliable-works every time. 3. Automatically finds the wanted satellite. I don't use HD at this time. Doesn't matter whether it is in-motion or a stationary dish. Is any one using a system that would meet my needs?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Ron Skeen

I have two systems (King dome in-motion and a Wineguard SK 3005) on my 96 and use directv service. My service included HD, DVR, East & West coast feeds. I have LED 40 inch TV's. The Wineguard find all sat's and if you want to watch tv while mobil you can watch pre-record on the DVR's. I hardly ever use my King dome anymore because Direct uses sat 103 for H/D on the east & west feeds. You can give me a call if you like. Have a great Day!

1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
tuga

Default TracStar SV 360

Steve,

I have a TracStar SV 360 in motion satellite, and it has served me very well in the last few years. I use DirecTV and a Sony Brivia 32" LCD HD. I don't subscribe to HD nor do I have a HD receiver or HD cables; the satellite antenna is HD.

I found out today that there is an update coming from TracStar. The tech told me to call them in about 2 weeks and they would send out an update box. Just plug the update box in and when the new software is down loaded that's it!

I have found that TracStar is a better product than the KVH dish that I had before. The customer service is great. I hit a tree limb with my coach and broke the satellite dish. TracStar fixed it for about $100 and gave me a new dome. They are good folks!

Hope this helps!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
RussWhite

Default Winegard 3005

Steve,

This is not a recommendatoin for your requirements, but I will post my experinece here just in case others may be interested. I moved from 3 satellite KVH to a 5 satellite Winegard 3005 system about 6 months ago. For me, HD is like high speed internet - once you experience it you can't go back to dialup. The 3005 has performed flawlessly and so much better than the KVH. It is very well made and has held the signal in sustained 30 mph winds lasting for days. It has never failed to find the satellites the first time when there is a clear view of the sky. It supports my dual tuner DirecTV DVR. I am totally satisifed right now. I think the cost was right at $1500 and I did the install myself.
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
jdaniel

I replaced my kvh with a winegard. I got tired of not locking on and NO customer support. I sold the kvh on ebay.
jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
rheavn

Thanks to all who replied. I haven't replied earlier as I've been out in our Newell without the internet. People's first hand experiences are always very helpful. We have eliminated several companies. It is between TracStar & Winegard. I had a Winegard before & it always worked. Unfortunately TracStar has not seemed too interested in selling one system.