Steering issues - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
kdnelson

Default Steering issues

I have a 78 Newell (400+k Miles) with a steering problem. The steering feels like I am driving on ice. The steering wheel seems to have lots of free play. It seems that the steering has a mind of its own. I had the drag links and the air shocks replaced. I am worried that I may need to replace the entire front end suspension. I just spent over 6k fixing the rear suspension. I have also put new TOYO tires on the unit....
Am I looking at a retro fit kit or something else?
Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Ferrel and Kara

kdnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

I would love to tell you there is a simple answer. First, you have to determine if any of the suspension has play in it. Wheel bearings, king pin joints, control arms, tie rod ends, pitman arms, steering gear box, and the u joints in the steering column.

Get is safely jacked up and blocked. Then start and work your way through the system. A long pry bar and the biggest channel locks you can find will be your tools. It helps if you have a dial indicator and a magnetic base. Put the indicator on the part you are testing and try to move it with the pry bar. The indicator will tell you if it is moving or not.

If I didn't want to go through all that, and just wanted to test the most obvious, I would check the toe in. Set it to 1/8 inch and see how it drives. Most truck alignment shops will set it up at neutral or slightly in. They hunt the road like a coon dog when set up neutral.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
77newell

I wrote a review of my 77 coach's steering problems that you can find on this site that may be helpful. I would second the advice you've just been given. If all the mechanical stuff is tight and the toe-in is right then it can only be the steering gear. I've checked locally and the cost to have it overhauled is $450 by a very reputable outfit. That does not include remove and replace which is not trivial given the gear weighs about 80 pounds.

Jon
77 coach
civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
busnut

I know this may seem impossible on a Newell, but you may have to much air in the tires. I assume you have weighed your coach and know what the axle weights are. Go to the tire charts and inflate your tires according to the charts.
'93 43.5' #318
busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Wally Arntzen

I have an 88 and two years ago my steering colum seemed very loose and wobbled a lot, causing me to think that I should not drive it. I called Newell and was assured that they knew what it was and if I drove it to them they could fix it. They assured me that it would not be dangerous to drive it to them and they fixed it for around the price you are talking about. They removed the steering colum and sent it to someone in town who rebuilt it and it has been excelent ever since.
Good luck and get it fixed.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote