Black water tank removal - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #21
chockwald

Wally, no doubt you are correct about the reasons why dumbing a black tank's contents on the land became illegal, but the fact remains that it is illegal, and that is the predominant reason I don't dump my black tank, other than at a dump station, or other legally appropriate location. The other reason is that I wouldn't want to be near a spot where I dumped my black tank contents....seems to me that it would be a lot of work to dump it in a considerate manner without a lot of preparation in advance of the "dump", especially if I was to remain in that location afterwards.

That's my two bits, but I'm not holding on too tight.

Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Arntzen View Post
If your in the wilderness what option do you loose. It was used as fertelizer for centeries in this country untill the chemical companies convinced politicians to ban it and sell chemicals. Its still used in most countries in Asia, lots of Europe and other areas of the world. I would never dump it in a populated area but in the wilderness or out in the boondocks thats what the cheater dump valve is for. I've only done it twice but it was sure nice to have when I needed it.

Thats my 2 cents worth and I'm not letting go.

Wally

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
Wally Arntzen

Charlie, on my 88 I have a foam block that is about 5" thick, 8" high and goes accross between the water tank and the waste tank. If you have something similar try pulling it out and see if you can move the waste tank toward the water tank a few inches. If you can is it possible to push in a steel plate 1/8" or more between the waste tank and the wall of the next bay.If you can you could cut holes in the bay wall and repair the leaking plugs, pop rivit patches on the wall and you would not have to remove the tank.
The need for the plate would be to protect the tank so you don't cut or punch holes in it while cutting the hole in the wall.
I would try all options rather than take on removing the tank which could open up all kinds of other problems.
If you measure from the edge of the tank to the plugs you should be able to duplicate it on the wall and cut the holes where you want them. With the steel plate you can use a sabre saw with a short blade or some good tin snips if you have.
All coaches are so different so what I am suggesting may or may not work in your situation.

1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #23
Wally Arntzen

Charlie, If I had to take mine out I would take out on the water tank side. I replaced my water tank about 4 years ago and it was quite easy. There is no question that removing the water tank would be a lot less work than removing all the plumbing on the other side.

Clarke, I would never dump the waste on a spot that I was staying at and sometimes the old statement "rules are made to be broken" is in order. One time I was between Vegas and Twin Falls Idaho on a highway that was 490 miles with on town between them and I was having problems with the coach, the tank was full and starting to smell inside. I simply pulled off on a road that was for bringing cattle for open grazing and it was close to the staging area where they dump them off and I pushed the majic dump button and let er go. I was moving about 5 miles per hour so I spread it out and left the area with no quilt associated with my need to get rid of it. That dump is on the coaches for those kind of situations which are considedred emergencies.
About 10 years ago I was driving my car close to Fargo, ND, had to take a leak and could not make it to Fargo or a rest area so I pulled my car over to side of the Interstate and angled it. I got out and a highway patrol man pulled right behind me and asked if I had a problem and told that I could not make it to a bathroom and had to go behind the open door of my car. He said that is an emergency go ahead and left. I did me deed and he had a choice of letting me do it or telling me to go in my pants. True story
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #24
folivier

Here's my story. We used to have a travel trailer on some property we owned. The trailer was on very sand ground, so sandy that if you dumped a gallon of water it would disappear and not puddle at all. So we just dumped our gray water and planned to haul the trailer out when we needed to dump. Well as most great ideas go that never happened, so I dug a hole and dumped the black then gray tank. Would have been a great plan if our stupid lab wouldn't have decided to go swimming! Oh yeah! Then she proceeded to chase us around shaking like only dogs can do. We all ended up in the river with a bar of soap.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:15 AM   #25
chockwald

Forest, that is toooo funny!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #26
prairieschooner

Our '82 was reportedly upgraded at Newell during a previous ownership. That is when the Holding Tank was upgraded to a single Tank with Valves that allow the Gary Water to go Overboard or into the single Tank. If I was able to bring our coach to my cabin I would not hesitate to use the Gray Water to water the Forest, actually most of the people that live up here Full Time have done this with their Cabin's Plumbing.
I am not sure about the individual capacity of the black/gray tanks so I cannot comment. I agree that removing the water tank first would be allot easier to gain access to the Holding Tank. Repairs to that Tank would then need to be evaluated after an examination of the problem. With all of the work involved I may consider a new tank just too be safe.

After you remove the Holding Tank may I suggest that you support the Tank and fill it with Freshwater (maybe flush it first) and use Food Coloring to help find the Leaks. Red or Blue worked the best when I was doing Boat Repairs, I stayed away from Yellow or Green for obvious reasons.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote