Goals for the retired life and fulltiming - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Nara Queen

Default Goals for the retired life and fulltiming

My husband and I have had several discussions about our soon to be retirement and fulltiming. We talked about our goals of retirement and our expectations/future goals of what life will be like or how we want it to be once we are eventually fulltiming in a coach. I thought I would toss it out there and see what others have to say. What are your current goals as you are living your retired life and enjoying life as fulltimers? Are you happy you chose to retire in your coach? What are your goals of living your retirement in your coach?

Nara

Nara Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

You are doing the most important thing --- talking it over. I for one love retirement to the point I do not know how I ever worked, but everyone is different. Retirement, whether full timing or not, is about doing things that you love and have a passion for (both of you). For me, full timing would not give me enough space, and do not forget that you both will change over time, so always have a plan B.

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
77newell

My wife and I have been retired 12 years. Our initial thought was travel, exploration and determining where, other than in chilly, wet and cloudy Michigan, we would live. We used the motorhome to explore all sorts of places just for fun and to see what it would be like to live there. Gradually it dawned on us that living where one of our kids lived would be a most desirable choice so: ta-da we live in Michigan and near Detroit no less. Our needs for consistent and close relationships directed us to buy a residence and develop those relationship. I would love to full-time but we both need the type of relationships that we aren't capable of having while full-timing. A few years ago the granddaughters appeared and we just need to be around them regularly or an ache develops.

But we have another married son in another state, a warmer one thankfully. We are exploring the idea of using the motor-home as our home there 3-4 months of the year (the good months weather-wise) instead of staying in temporary housing or renting a place that would be mostly unused. Our investment in the motorhome then does triple duty: travel with grandkids, a place to stay near the second son, and travel for us.

As you can see we learned as we've gone and found ways to use our coach in support of our choices. More than anything my perspective is: expect to be surprised and then you won't be when you are, and remember that when you get let go from retirement there is
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
1993Newell

For us our decision of retirement and fulltiming were - one to get away from it all, we wanted to save money and live a more simple life in a sense. We can go to family however often we choose too and we've made quite a few new friends along the way. It is true for everyone it's different so always have another plan in case the first one doesn't work out how you thought it would. Our goals in our retirement life are the following - Live happily, live debt free, have fun together and enjoy each new day. So far, so good! It sounds like you and your husband are taking this seriously and will make a soulful decision.

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Nara Queen

Thank you everyone for the input. I really appreciate it but I think we still have more planning and decisions to make before we make an actual purchase. But I think we are getting closer. Thanks again!

Nara
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
bigcatwally

Nara we are not fulltimers but I thought I would comment on this thread anyway. I believe that fulltiming has it's ups and it's downs. There are pluses and negatives to all situations if you really think about it. I believe if you have traveled in a coach for a short time it doesn't compare to traveling fulltime. They are both totally different in my honest opinion. If you have concerns I suggest you try going on a longer trip before you make the decision to fulltime. Try it for 6 months and see if it looks like the retired lifestyle you want to live. Like others said everyone is different and the lifestyle isn't for everyone. And for others it could mean a year or two on the road and then for some it may be 10 years! I've met a few who have been fulltimers going on 10+ years and they aren't tired of it yet.

As much as I believe it has to do with the people a few other things that come to mind are the living conditions as in the size of the coach, the space you feel you need and knowing your coach. Not just driving or maintenance of the coach but I also mean the more simple things. It amazes me how many people don't know how to operate the features of their coach. Don't get me wrong I know some people like to learn as they go... but why not take the time to learn how to turn on your hot water heater from the start or pop out your slide before you take a trip.

1979 Classic Newell Coach
1967 Ford Mustang
1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS
bigcatwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
Nara Queen

Thanks Wally and Barbie I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my thread. 10+ years? Wow!