Anyone considering RealWheels Corparation Aero Series Wheel Covers ?? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Neweller

Default Anyone considering RealWheels Corparation Aero Series Wheel Covers ??

I received an email from a Newell owner who was thinking of putting covers over Her wheels as she had seen them on a Semi truck. The trucker whom she spoke with stated he was seeing an easy 3% fuel savings. Now her struggle is whether or not it takes away the styling flair from her Newell?

So, I thought why not post it here for her and see what others might think. Here are the pictures she sent me.
Attached Images

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Neweller

Something else I might add is the second picture shows how you can also fill them from the outside with super ease.

Ken

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 08-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Ashford Simms

Ken, I think they are kind of sick looking! They are stealthy!
Old 08-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
express1

I like'em also. So how do the increase fuel mileage?
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Newell Tank

We have seen those on some pretty decked out custom semi's.

Ken, what are those made of? Metal or plastic?

When I'm not flying high, I like to be down low in my Tank. Newell Tank that is!
Newell Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
77newell

I had them installed on my 77 coach and liked the look. You either like them or hate them. If I did it again I would order the shiniest ones I could get just for appearance sake.

I had to remove them due to them wearing the wheels at the contact point. When I called RealWheels about it they were great to deal with. They were in the process of redesigning them to eliminate the problem I was experiencing. In the meantime they sent me a pair of really nice hub covers. I haven't gone back to get the updated Aerocovers because we've been thinking of selling the 77, wife wants slides.

77 Newell, 2007 Civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Neweller

Jon, that is interesting to know. Was there some kind of movement that was scratching the aluminum on the wheel to where they contacted the cover? I see they have an area for mounting off the hub and would have to assume they only needed some kind of soft ply of sorts around the rim area to prevent the problem. I have seen them at a truck show at the Iowa 80 but never physically looked them over.

By the way all of our wives are wanting slides. I'm thinking Newell needs to get to work on a retro design with our budgets in mind.

Ken

-Bob Marley
Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
77newell

Ken: the issue as explained to me was that the wheel flexes as each part becomes loaded and unloaded during rotation. The larger than expected amount of flexing was enough to cause a wear problem where the outer edge of the cover touched the wheel. This was in spite of a thick plastic rub strip on the inside of the cover, which wore through in 5000 miles. The cover was screwed to a bracket on the hub which pulled the cover against the wheel.

RealWheels has just redesigned the cover and I'm told the interface between the cover and the wheel has been relocated and is "cushioned" differently. I can't say exactly how they have done but they did a lot of testing to make sure it didn't replicate the problems I and others with aluminum wheels had.

I would like to assure you that I'm still a fan of these covers, I have been treated very well by RealWheels and plan to buy new covers from them when I've upgraded to what comes next.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Neweller

77newell, has RealWheels told you they will replace your existing set with new ones? I see they offer them in stainless and aluminum. I heard from a guy who is running them that his truck has less wind noise, I wonder how true that is? I picture them on a coach like the '87 that Newell customized for Al Unser, I believe. They definitely have their place in the RV and truck industry.

Ken

-Bob Marley
Old 08-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
77newell

Ken: yes they offered to replace them free of charge. All they asked is that I send them the brackets that mount on the hub. Then since I wasn't planning to keep this coach they provided me a pair of nice hub covers and will replace my Aerocovers once I have a new coach to I know what size the wheel will be. I'm their customer and I feel they have dealt fairly with me regarding a problem they didn't foresee. If I could get every vendor to deal with me this way I would be thrilled.

Jon - 77 coach, 2007 Civic toad
Old 08-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Desmarais1

I like those covers - sounds as if the issue has been cured and they are a great company to work with.