Newbie owner wanna be - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
stephenp

Default Newbie owner wanna be

Helloyall
I am sure you have heard this before. I am newly looking to get into a Newell and seeking advice! Noticed a 1982 newell coach listed by Parliament Coach in Florida. Nice looking updated interior/ Cummins 903 with 170k mi. Seems a reasonable ask price! Anyone know anything about it or any other thoughts? Tryin to stay under 40' Thanks

stephenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
NewellCrazy

Hi Stephen,

That is a nice coach your referring to! although I think it's priced high. What kind of offer are you thinking of sending their way? You could buy it contact Neweller and have him install a slide or 2 and have a screamin custom classic newell coach that's just the right size for state park camping ect with slides if a person wanted.

Newell Coach 1982 1982 NEWELL COACH

Welcome again & ask away,

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Neweller

stephenp to the Luxury Coach Lifestyle! That is an interesting coach down at Parliament. I find it pretty stylish on the inside but it would be nicer with added paint scheme of sorts. Looking at it and having prior paint experience and if the paint is really nice as/is I would incorporate something into the existing and bring the baby to life. It kind of looks like the sides have been touched up and front and rears appear to have more age to the finish. Otherwise paint the whole thing in time unless it rocks your boat the way it is, than that is cool too.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Neweller

Sean, to add a slide to an existing classic, I would recommend going with a less expensive coach and update after the slide is installed to keep the cost down. That way a guy could be in a early classic for about another $10k over what Parliament is asking. This Parliament coach is pretty roomy looking with its current arrangement in the salon.

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 04-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Yachts

Neweller do you really install slides? If so how much?
Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
rellick

Welcome to the site stephenp, I agree with Ken about the paint, if the interior is what you like and if everything works on the coach I don't think the price is too far off. If you had someone redo the interior it could cost quite a bit, I personally would not want the 903 engine and for me that brings down the value. But if it gets a clean bill of health it would probably last a while. I would do some shopping around first and be sure its the one. You could find a cheaper one and build it up how you want the sky is the limit on what you could do to it, depending on what you want to spend. Maybe this one would work for now then add upgrades like engine trans, slides, paint etc down the road, its all personal preference. Good luck!!
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts View Post
Neweller do you really install slides? If so how much?
Not a problem to get it done. Depending on what year you are starting with the cost is very reasonable compared to one already with slides. There are two ways they can be done, one with an overlap seal or the flush seam with an interior seal. Price is figured by the LF and whether or not the inside is finished off all the way, partially or left for the owner. All guaranteed. It will not be a complete flush floor design like Newell, but very minimal raise unlike most Prevost. In a lot of cases it is hidden anyways. Existing windows will be used unless a person wants something different. 32" is pretty much the standard depth but it can be changed more or less. It's all about what someone desires room and clearance wise.

What's cool is you can add one on a shorter foot coach. A person could have slides for example on a 36'-38'-40's etc... and still stay in the State Parks. Savings!

-Bob Marley
Old 04-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
JustDustin

Welcome to the forum! Take up a seat and stay awhile, we always enjoy new folks! Good luck on your Newell Coach hunt.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
Yachts

say i have a 97 newell no slides want to do one in the bedroom and maybe a 2nd one there too and one in the living room.. say 15 feet in the living room 8-10 feet in the bedrrom.. no worry about putting the interior back because im remodeling any way... what ya think?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
Neweller

Yachts, it can definitely be done no problem. You are thinking maybe one on each side in the bedroom and one in the salon? Those sizes are very doable. You will save quite a bit doing the interior trim out which is fun to do anyways.

-Bob Marley
Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
Yachts

Yes just like you are saying.. I haven bought a coach yet but .. Cost to add a slide would be helpful to know.. thanks so much.. Where are you located
Old 04-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #12
MrE

stevenp, the pictures look like they did a great update of the interior. It does also appear that the roof has been neglected. The drivers side air horn is missing and it appears that much of the paint on the roof is in need of attention. The ad does say "Additional Pricing Info: Make Offer", you could always throw them a low ball offer and see what they come back with. I would also ask for an oil analysis on the engine and transmission as well as an analysis on the antifreeze. Good luck and happy shopping.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:35 AM   #13
stephenp

Thanks Jon& Chris Kinda make you wonder when the only pics they provide highlite the interior and yes a nice upgrade. I asked a bunch of questions about other things like you said but no response! Dont like dealin with dealership always question their integrity. I hadnt noticed the other things you pointed out The advantage of a well trained eye.
Thanks, Steve
Old 04-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #14
stephenp

Jon & Chris Comin from newbie what would you consider a lowball offer? Steve
Old 04-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #15
MrE

I haven't heard anything good, bad or indifferent about Parliament, possibly someone on the forum will have some insight and chime in. I also would be wary if they failed to respond to my questions. Neweller (Ken) is THE MAN when it comes to knowing used Newell values. If you're not near Clearwater FL, perhaps one of the forum members in the area can give it a good check over, or you can do what rellick (Kieth) did and have an independent facility give it a thorough evaluation.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
NEWELLWIZARD

Welcome stephenp! I agree Ken knows his stuff when it comes to used Newells and pricing them out. You've definitely stopped at the right place. Good luck with finding that perfect coach and making a purchase!
NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
The Newell

What I've noticed is Motor homes of Texas (MOT) seem to receive the best praises.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
stephenp

Thank You all for your input. Anybody cruisin by the Clearwater Fla area? Could have a look see for me. I am on the West Coast so not practical for me at this stage unless worth my while! Hey Neweller I know its hard to say without seein it first hand but any idea what a realistic offer would be? Any advice would be appreciated. I wouldnt consider a slide, like the looks as is less complicated. steve
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Neweller

Steve, we do have some members in and out of Florida all the time, not sure how close anyone is to Parliament off hand but maybe someone is close by. There are plenty of guys who do inspections in the area. I have a couple of numbers I can provide if needed. Value wise without knowing the particulars of the running condition info and a few other things, value can vary quite a bit. As far as engine goes, the 903 Cummins is the better choice of the Cummins V-8's. I have owned both. It won't have the power of the DD and is a bear to obtain hard parts on, but hey it's the quieter of the two. The interior is probably the best thing going for the coach and I have to believe this what you are liking most about it. I do know what I feel it is worth as/is and they are off the mark a lot. If it had an upgraded power plant it would be worth it all day long. And there are many reasons why I say this and others will agree.

-Bob Marley
Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
Maxwell55

welcome! i'm still a newbie and wanna be owner. what price range you trying to stay in?

Maxwell55 is offline   Reply With Quote