1972 Chauffeur - Page 3 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #41
Neweller

Bob, things are looking wonderful with your beautiful Carol Ann! I love what you are doing. Hey, I'm sorry for any frustration you may be having with posting to the site. Using word is many others do prior to posting. I'm so use to posting directly through the site I get it done before the log out time elapses. You are logged in for 15 minutes and if you are in the middle of a long post, you can loose what you have typed depending on what browser you are using. Firefox is much better than Internet Explorer as far as many of us are concerned. Another option for you would be to open up another window and after you are done typing prior clicking on reply is to go to your second window and hit refresh to find out if you are logged in or not and if you are not, then log back in, go back to your original typed page, copy what you typed for reassurance and then click reply and if all is good you are done. Otherwise you have your back up by copying it first so you can log back in and paste it again etc.. Just some different ideas to fool around with. If I think I have taken too long, I'll copy the info prior to clicking reply. But I guess word is always the safest especially on the longer postings. Sorry again for your troubles. They can set the log in time for longer than 15 minutes, but that is just standard for most message boards. Also, I will gladly post any picture over here for you anytime, just holler at me.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #42
sopicki

I took Carole Ann to my brother-in-law's diesel shop this week to pull the wheels and inspect the brakes. The brakes look beautiful, the steering is tight and the king pins are like new, but we still have no idea who made them and where to get parts when the time comes. Any info would be appreciated. On the trip home the radiator sprung a leak. Since the radiator was modified to fit the Newell and then again for the diesel installation there appeared to be no other option other than to have the radiator re-cored to the tune of $948. The filler neck is a separate part as well and was full of pin holes, so that is at a custom fabrication shop getting re-manufactured. While it's all apart I've replaced as many hoses with silicone and the others with what we could match up at the parts store. I should have it all back together next week after the filler neck is rebuilt.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4727.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	4533Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4724.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	4534

sopicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #43
rellick

I have been planning to do a complete suspension upgrade on mine rather than try to source parts for the old stuff. It will be a big job but I think worth it in the end. The donor bus I took the engine and transmission from has all these parts just sitting there so I might as well use them, parts are cheap and reliable.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #44
sopicki

I'd love to see the look on my wife (and my neighbors) face if I came home with a donor bus! Makes me smile just thinking of it.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:17 AM   #45
sopicki

Neweller, it would appear that Firefox was the trick for replies and posting of pictures on the forum. As you can see I've been able to do all of it. Thanks for the advice!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #46
rellick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopicki View Post
I'd love to see the look on my wife (and my neighbors) face if I came home with a donor bus! Makes me smile just thinking of it.
My wife was proud of me when I brought mine home!! luckily we are in a secluded spot so no bother to the neigbors
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #47
sopicki

Hi all, Took Carole Ann out for a weekend camp and blew a wheel cylinder. I posted my request for help in the exhaust and brakes forum. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #48
rellick

Hi Bob, not sure if you saw this 72 Newell they were parting out a couple of years back, or if it is still around but may be worth a shot for some parts.
http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...72-newell.html as for the wheel cylinders you should be able to buy the cups and dust covers from a brake shop, in my opinion it would be best to at least find new seals.
If this newell is still kicking around it might be worth checking out, hope this helps!!
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 10-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #49
sopicki

Keith, I've seen that post but since it was a couple of years old I didn't think to send a message.....guess it couldn't hurt though. I'm not in need of too many parts but we'll see what's available. The Carole Ann is such a blast to drive and purrs along beautifully. She's so much quieter and smoother than our '73 Midas Mini. I was bummed to blow a wheel cylinder since we've got to pull the rear axle's out just to get the drums off! This time I'm going to pull the front of the differential off too so I can re-seal it. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #50
HoosierDaddy

Hi Bob and Peni!! A belated welcome to LCL!! I just viewed your photos on flickr. Great Job! It is good to see that old Newell go to somebody who has the ability to restore/update as needed and then enjoy it. I'm reminded of the '78 Newell that I did a moderate restoration on. I have lots of parts left over and live near several RV salvage outlets. Let me know if you want me to look for anything. What does your Newell have for a heating system? Also, I'm curious about the generator. Where it is located, fuel type etc.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #51
sopicki

HoosierDaddy.....Love the name!!! The Carole Ann is a GREAT coach, although very neglected for many years she's got good bones and will be a great hobby for my wife and I hopefully long into our retirement. Being that I'm only 45 hopefully diesel won't be $10/gal by then. The Carole Ann has 2 heating systems, a Coleman forced air furnace and a coolant heater with front and rear cores. Neither worked when we bought the coach but both are working well now. I'm still looking for an operating manual for the Coleman (heck, Coleman doesn't even list the model as something that they built). I still have to re-seal the duct work on the furnace but we've already winterized her for the season. As for the generator, it's in the rear and originally had an Onan. Right now it has a Generac that runs but does not produce any electricity. I don't believe it is anything serious, maybe just a fried circuit board, but I've had higher priority items to fix. There is a separate 15 gallon gas tank for the generator since the coach has been converted to diesel. I have an Onan generator sitting in my garage which I was going to install this winter, however the more I think of it the more I'm leaning toward putting a diesel generator in and using the 15 gallon tank as a diesel reserve. We'll see, all depends on if I can find a decent affordable diesel generator. My highest priority right now is brakes. Newell was no help in trying to identify what type of brakes I have on the coach and now I've blown a rear wheel cylinder. There are 2 wheel cylinders per rear wheel and I'll need to pull the axles to get the drums off. The only thing I can do right now is take it to my brother-in-laws shop, pull the axles and take the parts to a brake shop and hope they can match them up. I'd like to replace all 6 of the wheel cylinders. Next thing that makes me nervous are the vacuum boosters. I'd love to find one or two to put on the shelf for when the inevitable happens, at least we wouldn't be grounded for months looking for parts. Other than that, Carole Ann was built with chauffeur's quarters and will need to have the chauffeur's bathroom rebuilt. I'll need a toilet, sink, faucets... I'd like to have items true to the '70's as we're trying to keep most things true to the period.......except for the microwave and flat screens! If you ever run across some Newell emblems I'd love those too, but we've had no luck as of yet. I may have some made, but that will be after generator, reuhpolstery, bathroom and repairing several compartment floors. Thanks for your interest!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #52
HoosierDaddy

I would start in the Ford bin for brake parts. If all else fails you could change the brake back plate. That is what I did on my '78. It had the old Wedge-style air brakes. I got the modern "S" cam style hardware from the salvage yard. You might check into putting disc brakes on the front axle. (especially if you plan to pull a trailer) Most of these parts are interchangeable for many different years. You could rebuild the brake cylinders if the kits are still available. Does your Newell have a remote master cylinder? If so it might be easier and cheaper to replace the whole unit with more modern components. I'm not sure about Newell but most motorhomes of that vintage used "step van" or bread truck style frames and running gear. Many still do. I see them all the time as they come by my house on the way to the manufacturer. The MH frames are black and the step-van frames are galvanized.
If that Generac is belt-driven you might be able to replace the engine with a small diesel engine.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #53
sopicki

HoosierDaddy,

I just noticed your signature is "Always Fixing Something!" I can relate as I do just about everything myself, ripped out our kitchen to studs-drywall-wiring-plumbing-cabinets, finished basement, 1978 Crestliner boat with a '69 Johnson engine, 1974 Sears Suburban tractor with Onan BF engine, 2 1972 Suzuki TS enduro's and on and on, oh....always a vacuum cleaner to repair as my 2 kids always seem to kill one when I'm away on a trip. We sold our 1973 Midas Mini motorhome which was on a Dodge B-300 chassis in April which helped purchase the Newell. It took 4 years to restore but was simply 2 small for our family. All of this has been done on a budget as I was laid off 4 times in a 6 year period. Hopefully those lay-offs are behind us.

Sadly Newell has not been able to provide me with any info on our coach beyond who ordered it and what what they ordered. I've joined many forums in an attempt to identify what it is that we've got but I'm really not making any progress. The Ford forum sent me a parts breakdown of a 1971 F-600 brake system but it doesn't look anything like what I've got and does not mention the 2 boosters at all. Our master cylinder is right under the floor where the brake pedal is, it looks just like any other brake master cylinder. It pumps fluid to 2 vacuum boosters which are located behind the driver side front wheel, one for the front brakes and one for the rear. These look OLD and I worry what I'd do if they fail. Name:  DSC_4891LoRes.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  8.6 KB

The front brakes are easy to get to and look to be in great shape.Name:  FrontLoRes.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  10.0 KB

But it appears that you have to pull out the axle shafts from the rear to remove the rear drums and I haven't had time to get that done just for an inspection. Now that I've blown the seal in one of them I have to get to it. I will probably just rebuild the wheel cylinders if they are in decent shape, there is even a place that will re-sleve them if we can't determine what kit to order.Name:  RearLoRes.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  9.0 KB

I don't think our coach has a galvanized frame and it kind of zig-zags around in the back to make room for the chauffeur's waste tank. Since it has the engine up front and Newell prided themselves on building rear engine chassis, I was hoping that this was built on a common Ford chassis since it has many Ford electrical parts and had a Ford engine. I just haven't seen any Ford emblems on anything to give me evidence as to what chassis it might be.

The Generac is belt driven but I haven't seen too many vertical shaft diesels. It's a 2 pole generator also which would require 3200 rpm and I still like the 1600 rpm that the 4 pole Onan turns. But if you know of a vertical shaft diesel that will run at 3200.....

There are lots of modifications I'd like to perform such as changing the rear High gear ratio to allow a higher top speed. Right now we're limited to 63 mph and that's running the diesel at the red-line. Not something I want to do. She's really a 55 mph machine right now. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4259LoRes.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	4571

New brakes would also be nice, but our focus is just getting things running, safe and reliable. New motor and transmission mounts and carrier bearings are also on the list of things to replace. I'm going to face the same problems with trying to locate those as well as the engine was replaced in 1981 with a diesel and we still don't know what chassis was used.

Thanks thanks thanks for help and advice!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #54
sopicki

I added quite a few pictures to my Flickr account today. If anyone's interested:

rhkopicki's photosets on Flickr
Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #55
rellick

I like the two speed diff, that would be nice in the steep grades. Is there a tag on it? If not there should be a number stamped into the case, if you can locate that you should be able to get the specs for it from a transmission gear shop. Maybe you could find your brake parts this way also. They would have used a lower gear ratio with a gas engine
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 10-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #56
sopicki

Keith, I bet that Cummins/Allison setup of yours is pretty sweet too! Despite the fact that we had no electrics working on our drive from California to Ohio, she took the mountains with ease. She's not a speed demon anyway so 35-40 mph was common, but no tendencies to overheat and the transmission stayed cool too. My brother in law is a diesel mechanic and drove a truck over the road for many years, so he came with me and checked me out on the 2 speed, the allison 6 speed and the Detroit. We got her home with few issues. Now that I'm maintaining her is when I blow the radiator, blow the brakes....at least with little consequence. I feel pretty confident in the hard parts and that once all of the systems have been gone through we will have a great and unique coach.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #57
rellick

The cummins allison is a sweet setup and works well, the only thing is my gears were changed out to 5:88 which makes 6th gear (.65:1) rev @ 2000 rpm if it had the stock 5:29 it would do 72mph @2000. I do plan on changing it out along with the suspension. More than likely becuase of the low powered high reving 555.
I had a 93 s1900 deck truck that had hydraulic disc brakes a few years ago they should be all over in the wrecking yards, I don't think it would be too hard to change yours over with not much cost, just a thought.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 05-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #58
sopicki

It's been a while since I've posted since we've been pretty busy on the Carole Ann and other projects. Over the winter I overhauled an Onan 6.5k generator and had an aluminum fuel tank custom built to replace the rusted out steel tank. After removing the Generac unit, I welded in some patches, sanded, primed and painted the steel. I also covered the old dusty fiberglass insulation with fire resistant/sound padding. I just got the generator in the compartment yesterday.
Click image for larger version

Name:	GenC01a.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	4648Click image for larger version

Name:	GenC5.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	4649Click image for larger version

Name:	GenC01.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	4650
Next week I'll get to work on the fuel tank installation which will include installing a fuel gauge, sending unit and associated wiring. Since the tank fits behind the entry steps I'll also install a step light while I'm crawling around under the coach.

We also purchased a 1981 Honda Accord (1st generation) with 37,000 miles to tow behind using a tow dolly. If anyone knows of a reasonably priced tow dolly with brakes near Ohio...

Name:	DSC_6593.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	4647
Hope everyone enjoys the pictures.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:43 AM   #59
Dmatz

The pics look great. Nice work keeping that vintage Newell in great shape.
Shelter Island NY
Dmatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #60
sopicki

We took the Carole Ann on a 1200 mile trip from Ohio to Virginia Beach and back last week. The Newell performed wonderfully up and down the many hills along the way. The new brakes worked great but the transmission retarder made their use almost unnecessary. It was great to finally have a generator to run the air conditioning while running down the road when it got hot or humid.

The old Detroit pulled the "new" Honda and dolly like they weren't even there and what a pleasure to have a car at your destination when you get there!

Only glitch was a pretty good leak from one of my transmission cooler lines which has rustproofed most of the undercarriage and most of the Honda. I'll be getting new transmission and power steering lines in a couple of weeks.

Hope everyone is well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5290320_cr_lr.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	4651   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5290322_lr.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	4652   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5290389lr.jpg