ABS light on - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 03:35 AM   #1
encantotom

Default ABS light on

my abs light stays on.

i went over all the posts and it seems that a number of you have had or still have that issue.

i have not yet found the reset switch that steve mentions but i will keep looking.

have any of you actually found out what caused it yet?

thanks

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
rheavn

Tom,
Let me start with the premise that I have never seen two Newells that are totally alike. On my coach: open the left front compartment door where you find your HWH slide solenoids. On the forward wall, at the top, just inside the door is a 3" X 4" aluminum box. On the front of the box is a common Bosch relay, green light, common Newell toggle switch and an elongated plastic black & white sign(common to Newell) that says "abs blink code". I referred to this as the abs reset switch because on my last coach it was called an abs reset switch. By opening the switch a light code would blink a code which id'd the problem and reset the dash light. Since I have not used it on the Newell I'm not sure if it would act the same and reset the dash light, but I suspect it would. Now if it again detects a fault then the light would relight. On the Country Coach most of the time the light would go out and not relight.

Hope this helps.............................

Old 11-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
encantotom

Thanks steve i will check it out

Tom

Old 11-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
lbrachfe

I have the same toggle in the same place and wondered if it was a reset and now know....Thanks Steve...

Larry Brachfeld
2003 #646
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
tuga

Tom,

When I first purchased my coach in Oct. 2005, the ABS light would come on/off intermittantly. It did that for about 2 years. I discussed it with some members on the POG forum and they all basically said that theirs did the same thing and they ignored it.

So I did the same thing; it hasn't come in about 3 or 4 years. I have also had a check engine light that started that same routine in 2005. Everytime it would come on I would stop; check the oil, anti-freeze, transmission oil level, etc. It never amounted to anything.

I think that is just a way for DD to make money.

Aside from these little annoyances, the series 60 is a great engine. You'll love it!

Just my .02
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
afrench45

My light comes on periodically. Usually if I turn the key off and back on it resets the light and all is well. Newell told me its not an issue.
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
encantotom

i gave gordon the wabco model number of the abs system and a few minutes later he sends me the troubleshooting manual for it.

i did as it says and entered the blink code fault indicator mode and it had no active faults and 2 stored faults. the first stored fault was drive axle drivers side sensor gap too much. the second was the ECU high power supply.

i then checked it again and got the same codes. then i reset it and the codes went away.

so now i need to see if they reappear when i drive it next.

i will see how to adjust the gap on the sensors and maybe have it doen when it is up on a lift next wednesday. the voltage i am sure is because i have been working with bad batteries and have been playing with the settings on the charger.

time will tell, but it is cool to figure it out.

thanks to all and thanks to gordon...

tom

Old 11-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
encantotom

when i was searching for the model number of the wabco abs module online i ran across a used control module for sale. so i bought it in case i ever needed one. i paid ten bucks for it plus 15 bucks shipping. i would bet they are quite expensive to get one. hey, you cant have too many spare parts.

it was out of a peterbuilt truck. worst case is i am out 26 bucks.

tom

Old 11-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
chockwald

Tom, you definitely live by that philosophy....I've seen your garage.....
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
larryweikart

Well, I just spent another frustrating 5 hours changing my engine air filter! What a job! I'm curious if everyone, who has a series 60 around the same build time as mine, has the same problem changing the filter or maybe they have discovered an easier way to complete this task. I believe my coach, #365 has one of the first series 60 engines installed at Newell. I also think Newell must have changed the setup quickly as the way mine is configured certainly drew complaints. Thank heaven it is only required every 50k miles
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
larryweikart

Sorry, I re-posted this under Major mechanicals and when I tried to delete this air air filter message I was not successful. Don't know why I couldn't delete. Sorry for any confusion
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
encantotom

when i had the brakes done they reset the abs sensor (you just push or tap it in and it is self adjusting) and that fixed my abs light problem. the sensor is at the top of the hub. you can follow the wire up to it. you can also see the slots on the hub that the sensor detects.

tom