Florida Sunpass Toll Roads - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
David Carrol

Default Florida Sunpass Toll Roads

I am looking for advice from folks who are using Florida's SunPass system.

We want to spend our winter in Florida and want to get the SunPass transponder(s). However, we are unsure how to proceed. We can buy a portable transponder for $25, that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. Or we can buy two mini sticker transponders that would be permanently affixed to the coach and the toad. We will usually be passing toll plazas with the coach/toad combo or with the toad only, but may, occasionally, be driving the coach only.

So, what happens when:
1. When we pass a plaza with a transponder in the toad only, while driving coach/toad in tandem? Will it recognize the MH. If not, will there be consequences. Will they be able to record the MH license tag with a car in tow? Will anybody even care?

2.When we pass a plaza with a transponder in the coach only while towing? Logic would suggest we would be charged as a MH with 2 extra axles. Is this correct?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
RussWhite

Here is what I do.

I have a portable and a mini. I only use the mini on vehciles I will never tow. I use the portable in the coach when towing. I move the portable to the toad should I travel the pike in just the toad. The system will recognize the toad as extra axles when you tow it.

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
NewellCrazy

If you decide to go with a transponder look your billing statements carefully to make sure there are no mistakes in it. I know a few people who were billed incorrectly and had their diver's license suspended...

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote