chassis and structural differences between 1989 classic and 1990 series 2000 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Bookman

Default chassis and structural differences between 1989 classic and 1990 series 2000

Were there significant chassis and structural changes with the 1990 series 2000 Newells over the 1989 classic 40 footer, or was the series 2000 basically the same as the classic, but with a drastically different exterior design? For example, were there different suspensions so that one model rode better than the other? I'm thinking primarily of tag axle models.

By looking at some interior photos and reading feature descriptions, I don't see much difference, other than the exterior design. I generally like the look of the series 2000 a bit more, but I have seen classics that looked really sharp with their particular paint jobs.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Neweller

Tom,

Note: Both of those years, there were actually both types of siding used on a couple of coaches. I recall hearing there were a couple smooth side '89's and at least one classic looking '90 (somebody just had to have the classic).

I'll try to answer your question best I can. From my inspection and knowledge of the two styles; the later classic vs. the series 2000, the structure is virtually the same. The only real difference would be to the front and rear where the series 2000 got snubbed frame horns to do away with the bumpers. The bumpers on the classic would definitely help prevent the chance of damage in some instances as there is not fiberglass front or rear panels. I have seen a few coaches with fiberglass cracks or chips in the lower valance areas on the series 2000, which is easily repaired compared to aluminum. A guy just has to take those things into account somewhat. The series 2000 started getting longer in length as well. Total length is bumper to bumper, so a 40' coach from version to version is off a foot of so.

The series 2000 appears to have a little more space in the upper wall cabinets since it is a little more squared off than the classic. Windshields are definitely less expensive on the classic.

Hopefully this what you wanted to know?

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
Tom,

the later classic vs. the series 2000, the structure is virtually the same. The only real difference would be to the front and rear where the series 2000 got snubbed frame horns to do away with the bumpers. The bumpers on the classic would definitely help prevent the chance of damage in some instances as there is not fiberglass front or rear panels. I have seen a few coaches with fiberglass cracks or chips in the lower valance areas on the series 2000, which is easily repaired compared to aluminum. A guy just has to take those things into account somewhat. The series 2000 started getting longer in length as well. Total length is bumper to bumper, so a 40' coach from version to version is off a foot of so.

The series 2000 appears to have a little more space in the upper wall cabinets since it is a little more squared off than the classic. Windshields are definitely less expensive on the classic.
Ken,

Thanks for the quick reply.

As far as the chassis is concerned, do you know if the later classics had the same suspension as the early 2000s? If they did, would I be off base to assume that the ride would have been similar? I know that the longer coaches would have ridden a little differently than the 40 footers since they are heavier. Also, the 2000s appear to be taller than the classics (though I have never seen the two of them side by side to be sure of that) and that could have an impact on things such as leaning in winds and turns, etc.

Also, I am referring to the body style prior to the 2000 series as the classic coaches. Is there an official name or design number for the earlier coaches?
Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote