Ceiling area letting go - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
mnhoff

Default Ceiling area letting go

Hello to everyone. I own coach # 372. At the mid entry ceiling area
I have about a 2 foot diameter area letting go. What is behind the padded
area that supports the ceiling finish? Does anyone know what the ceiling struts
look like? If so I may be able to screw affected area back in place? Or am I looking
at removing a large area of the ceiling? Any feedback would be appreciated.

mnhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Neweller

Hi mnhoff, this post somehow got missed or something. I know there are a few people on here that have either addressed repairs or redid ceilings on Newell's like yours. I done it on prior models a its not all that hard and if you are handy can most surely fix it yourself. A picture of the area in question would help even more.

Ken

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Neweller

Actually, I have seen some photo's in a couple of members personal albums working on areas around the ceilings. I'll look for you and in the mean time someone might chime in.

Ken

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 08-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
mnhoff

Thanks for your reply Ken. Since I have posted I took on the project. I removed a two piece, 16 foot brass inlay then removed the staples on both sides holding up the cieling finish. The problem was a little more complex than I expected. The entire 4x8 sheet of 1/4 " G1S plywood had let go from the maple cieling struts. It was fixed with 1/4 inch staples that worked its way loose dropping that sheet about 1 inch. I inserted a screw driver head into a 1/4 inch rachet and slowly got the affected area back into place. Re-assembled and glued brass inlay into place with great success. Thanks Mike
1995 Newell Coach #372
mnhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Neweller

Mike, that is fantastic. Hopefully better than new. I never liked using staples unless I'm gluing too. Obviously Newell has a reason why they don't. I'm thinking maybe if there ever was a repair it would be even more difficult than you explained. Seems like screws would my choice of fastener. I have worked on other RV's and everything is pretty much stapled and or glued and pulling any Luan off of 2x2's becomes a combined replacement of materials. And I usually go back overkill without adding any extra weight.

I would love to pick up a later model Newell where I could redo some of the interior to my own liking and of course get something shaved off the purchase price. I'm a sweat equity kind of guy.

Ken

-Bob Marley