My generator wont power the coach now?? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
jdaniel

Default My generator wont power the coach now??

The last time I parked my coach I had all 4 a/cs running and everything was fine. The next time I get it out, the generator cranks fine but nothing in the coach is powered up. I check (and flip) the breaker on the generator box, I made sure the toggle switch above the driver is flipped correctly but still no power. On my gauges above the driver seat, when the generator is running I can usually see the gauges up and showing how much power they are using. Now the gauges are on zero....power is not coming into the coach. Where do I check next??

jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
express1

Call newell they will gladly give you directions.
on where to look first, that is.

express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Neweller

Hi Jimmy, check your automatic transfer switch, sometimes the relay contacts get stuck in the shore power position. Double check your shore power line is plugged into the outlet to close the circuit. Let us know what you find, we'll be standing by.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Boondockers

I agree with Ken, Sounds to me it's the transfer switch assuming you have one. The transfer switch defaults to shore power. There is no power needed on the contactor coils of the transfer switch to pass the shore power to the coach. When the generator is started, the power from it energizes the contactor coils and the transfer switch now transfers the incoming power from the generator to the coach. You will need to open the transfer switch and with a volt meter measure the incoming generator voltage and the output into your newell. If you have power from the generator and the transfer switch does not put power into the coach (load side of transfer switch) you have a bad transfer switch.
Boondockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Neweller

Just another thought on the transfer switch. Sometimes if you have any serious draw of power being consumed by microwaves, A/C units etc. when you last shut the genny down, sometimes the ATS contacts can become welded together or burned. Check these areas, you'll have to pull the ATS cover off to see. You can also listen for clicking sound coming from the relay if it's working.

Ken

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
lbrachfe

Always turn off any large power draws before shutting down the genset
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
jdaniel

Thanks. I always shut everything off before I turn off the generator. Is the transfer switch (box) located on drivers side where my power cord is? Is that the box that lights up when I plug it in to shore power?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
jdaniel

OK. With generator running I have power going into one side of the Square D transfer breaker but nothing is coming out the other side. Where can I buy one? It says "square d" Class 8910 Type DPA 63 Form: Series A Res. rating 75A 600 VAC MAX
Old 08-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Neweller

Jimmy, there are several on ebay for sale for around $30 w/free shipping, Grainger stocks them, and SupplyLineElectric.com shows they carry them too.

Ken

-Bob Marley
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
jdaniel

Thanks Ken. Love the forum website!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
jdaniel

That didnt do it. I replaced the Square D box on the right side (theres 2) which is the one the generator powers. I still have 110 coming from the generator (red wire) to the Square D, but the power doesnt go thru to the other side. The yellow and black wire have no power. If I push the contacts down manually, 110 comes out the other side and passes thru the other Square D box but doesnt power anything inside the RV. My gauges above
the driver always read zero. The red light is on showing the generator is running. Any ideas?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
Narrowrd

Was this ever resolved? I'm working on the same thing right now.
Narrowrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
Narrowrd

Well my symptoms were the same except on the Shore Power side. After I had tested EVERYTHING I took the 50 amp plug apart on the end of the coach's power cord. The white (neutral) had wiggled itself free over time and was no longer making ANY contact. There was no arcing damage to indicate there was ever partial contact.

Narrowrd is offline   Reply With Quote