So, you want to know about Newell owners - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
Richard and Rhonda

Default So, you want to know about Newell owners

You know, I've had a few minutes to reflect on the rally we had in Austin, and at the risk of someone singing "Feelings", I want to comment on my thoughts.

Although I have been an active member of this board for over a year, and I had formed favorable impressions of many of the posters, one still has to wonder what the person will be like in real life. I am happy to say that the people I met at this rally were genuine. There was no pretense, no snootiness, and no one upmanship. You could also draw the impression that the posters are for the most part a bunch of gearheads. I am also happy to say that the conversations covered the gamut. Yes, there was plenty of time to get some nuts and bolts work in, but there were many many conversations that had nothing to do with Newells, RV's, or the price of diesel. I wish that I had had more time to spend with the group. What I did find is that the spirit of helping one another ran true and deep.

The whole busnuts/Karl Blade episode is what got me thinking about this. There have been several threads of late on other forums that made all kinds of assumptions about the owners of Prevosts, Newells, and other of the same ilk. My point is that I don't find it to be true. The people I met were open, friendly, and lacking pretense.

I hope that the new owners find this post, and I hope that potential owners find it also. I realize that I'm gushing on about an event that not all could attend, but hopefully we will reconvene in person next summer or sooner, and you too, will get to make some new friends.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
chockwald

Richard, my only regret about the mini-rally is that I didn't get a chance to spend much time with you. My general impression was that after a day, or so it seemed as if I had known these people all my life. Tom and Michael spent several hours on my A/C problem, and of course, you helped us zero in on the real problem...the condenser freezing up. We had a chance to spend 3 days on the road with Tom and Darlene and got to know them much better, and found a lot of common interests. On the first day of our trip home Darlene and Elaine switched places for about 4 hours. I don't think Darlene and I stopped talking the entire 4 hours. Tom and I spent hours talking at his home the night we arrived. Also enjoyed getting to know Wally and Phyllis, and really love some of the things Wally has done to his Classic Newell. The friendships that we are developing are the icing on the cake, and a tribute to the quality of people who buy pre-owned Newells. Looking forward to getting to know David and Denise better, as well as you and Rhonda.

By the way, my mother had her first cataract surgery last week, and will have the second eye done in a week, or so. The information you shared really helped me convince her to have the procedure done.

Anyone for meeting up in Colorado in August, or September?

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
encantotom

i have told my family and friends that i think the vacation with the gang going, being there in austin and coming home and the week after of newellies coming by our home was some of the most fun i have ever had. i treasure the new friendships. i actually do have a life other than posting on this forum in terms of work, community and civic service and church, but this forum, my newell and newell friends have been a highlight for me the past 2 years.

thanks to all of your for being my friends.

tom in penang malaysia on the way to singapore....

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
fulltiming

I wholehearted agree Richard. The Austin rally was more focused on gear-heads than the Newell sponsored rallies. However, I have found that both types of rallies were filled with honest, open, caring individuals that, although having extremely diverse backgrounds, were all interesting and caring people.

The 'average' coach at the mini rally was about 15 years old while the 'average' coach at the Newell sponsored rallies I have attended was about 4 years old. There are fewer do-it-yourself'ers at the Newell sponsored rallies but their interests in modifications and desire to learn more about their coaches is obvious. At the Michigan rally a year and a half ago, the tech talk session by John Clark, Vice President of Newell, had a large attendance and was greatly appreciated by all.

I wish we had set up a specific time for some tech talk sessions (it was discussed on this forum but didn't happen) but the desire to spend most of our time 'under the hood' helping each other made the rally a success. The information I received by working with others on coaches and crawling in and under coaches from 1982 - 1999 was invaluable to me.

These are incredible machines and treated with respect may outlive us.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
Wally Arntzen

I have been to 4 Newell rallys with my older coaches and I can tell you that the acceptance of the owners wether they have new ones or old ones is very similar. We had a great time in Austin and unfortunatly Phyllis and I had some other things we had to do and were away from the group a couple of days.

Before I got into Newells about 11 years ago I was a ardent GMC guy and this rally reminded me a lot about the GMC rallys. At those rallys because all of coaches are from 1972 thru 1978 about 99% of the talk is about getting things fixed and getting back home.
At Austin we had one limp out with a generator and battery problem which would have been corrected but he had pressing reasons to get out and left in questionable condition. (He is also a GMC owner and still has his GMC)

It was a great rally with many different things getting done by several of the guys who are extreme gaget guys and were committed to resolving problems at any level.

Thanks guys and lets do it again and bring 4 times next time.

Wally and Phyllis Arntzen
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
ALIEN PATROL

The more I read about other Newell owners here the more I am so glad we went this route. Being in the aftermarket automotive industry for the last 15+ years I am truly impressed with the design, construction, quality, owners, and the Newell company.
Jim & Sandy
Full timers starting 7/15/09
2001 Newell 45LC102 Tag #579
500 HP Detroit
Allison HD4060 World Trany
02 Escalade Tow Vehicle
2 Black Labs just for fun
ALIEN PATROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
chockwald

Jim, you and Sandy will find that you have a lot in common with the other owners here besides your Newell. I joined this forum originally to have access the knowledge resources available here, but got a bonus....we have become friends with a number of the forum members. This is a great community of truly caring, quality people. At our last mini-rally in Creede, CO we had 10 coaches (and their owners) participate. The sense of community is just amazing. In addition to all that I am becoming a Newell geek thanks to Michael (fulltiming), Richard (Richard and Rhonda), and Tom (encantotom).
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
ALIEN PATROL

Hi Clark:
Yes, we are really looking forward to experiencing the camaraderie! Funny thing is we left Denver Mid July and used to live in South Fork, 20 minutes from Creede. I spoke with the previous owner today and he told me about some other owners he met while at the Newell plant. He said many of them were in '80s series and the owners told him they would never sell their coaches. And from what I have seen here, the older coaches look new. Now if I only get my cable to work on the front TV It worked two weeks ago.

2001 Newell 45LC102 Tag #579
500 HP Detroit
Allison HD4060 World Trany
02 Escalade Tow Vehicle
2 Black Labs just for fun
ALIEN PATROL is offline   Reply With Quote