Tech Companies are Developing TV’s that Watch You - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
NewellCrazy

Default Tech Companies are Developing TV’s that Watch You

I couldn't believe this when I read this and thought I should share this with everyone.

The new generation of HDTV’s and cable receivers sold to the public contain features that are not very publicized by tech companies: Cameras, mics and sensors that have the ability of recording everything that is happening in the living room. Not unlike the telescreens in George Orwell’s novel 1984, TV’s will soon be able to watch and even thoroughly analyze everyone present in the devices’ vicinity.

The cable company Verizon has recently filed a patent for a system that contain audio and video sensors coupled with facial and profile recognition software. That would allow the company to obtain information such as the number people in the room, their sex, their race, what they are doing and even what they are consuming while watching TV. The goal of such a system is to broadcast “targeted advertising” but crossing the line to outright spying on people is only footstep away. Here’s an article on Verizon’s patent.

Tech Companies are Developing TV's that Watch You - The Vigilant Citizen - The Vigilant Citizen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv-watching-you.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	3045  

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
Neweller

Sean, I have to laugh at that bill of bull! I believe they will come with this but I would never accept or use any service like it. It is just like cookies on a computer being tracked via the internet. It is hard to stop it and have any descent web surfing available and of course all this stuff falls under the Patriot Act and NSA with wire tapping. The government will love it.

We have been talking about this for years, that cable boxes were already set up for it. I originally read about it back in the 80's in Popular Science or something. It is strange they are applying for the patent not. It must be the method of how it will work.

People who can't live without their cable and satellite will not have a much choice once this type of thing is enacted, which probably won't take long the way things are progressing nowadays.

Thanks for sharing. I like to keep up on some of this stuff, especially the technology side of things. I'll pass it on...

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Neweller

I just read about how the new Samsung LED 3D TV's can be hacked to enable the hacker to watch or spy on the TV viewer. This is already being done. This will probably create a new market for some kind of system one can use to act as a firewall for your flat screen television.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote