1996 Newell in Classifieds - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2010, 04:22 AM   #21
express1

Default 96 sold!

If its the 96 that sparked the sale......
I have a 96 that I can sell.........

if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #22
Summersgal

Default Our new 96!

Sorry folks for not posting this sooner! We have family members that we were wanting to surprise this past weekend and they read this forum also. Jeff and I did purchase this 96 that was for sale. Beautiful Coach!

Picked it up on Thursday afternoon and left Friday for the Beaumont, TX area to show Jeff's parents. Had a good trip, just lots of different things to learn, play with and how they work!

We both drove it to TX and back. Handles differently than the 88 does...that might be cause its longer! LOL

Please be prepared for more questions on things as we are learning our way around it :-)

Pam

Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #23
express1

Default Great Purchase

That was easy! I also have a 96 if I can help with any issues feel free to call.
However. there are many others that are light years ahead of me with all good answers....
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #24
Richard and Rhonda

As you get to know your new toy, we will very interested in details about the differences you notice. The comment about it driving differently piqued my curiosity. Have you driven it enough to elaborate on what "differently" meant?

Matt's coach and our coach are very similar in systems to your new one, so hopefully we can help with questions.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #25
Summersgal

Richard

We drove it 1000 miles this past weekend. What I noticed is that it takes more room to turn! LOL But overall it drove really good. The steering on it seems different than the 38'. The best I can explain is that the 38' turns quicker than the 45'. I realize its longer just hard for me to explain. But it was nice!

While I was driving Jeff was busy reading manuals and playing with knobs and such! I think it is a "man thing" so correct me if I am wrong. :-)

And Thanks again for offering your help with questions. Sure we will have some!

Pam
Coach #432
Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #26
Richard and Rhonda

Pam,

I'm sure some of that responsive steering as purely a result of the shorter wheelbase on the 38. I think Tom said Newell referred to the 38's as sports cars.

Another factor, just thinking out loud, is the tag. The tag resists turning. You'll see that if you play in a big parking lot. Try a turning radius, and then do the same turning radius but take the time to relieve the air pressure on the tag. You'll see the difference.

It may be difficult to compare the engines since the coach weights are pretty different. The same may be true for the ride.

We'll have to arrange a weekend camping trip somewhere in southern OK, and we can compare notes and recipes.

Are you keeping the 38?
CoMotion Tandem
Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #27
Summersgal

Richard

I understand about the sports cars on the 38!

As far as the tag..Jeff played with it some. Something that we both have to learn more about. I was wondering if the Tag actually raises up or is it just the difference with how much air pressure is in the tag? I know NOTHING about the tag so I am learning.

And yes a big difference in weight between the 2 coaches.

A weekend trip sounds great.

As for the 38'..our plans are to put it on the market. But we are going to wait until the weather clears up some here in OK! Winter storm is starting and we want to wait till its a bit warmer! Have to get the rest of our things out of it and give it a good cleaning also. And I hate cold weather! :-)

Pam
Coach #432
Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #28
afrench45

Pam,
Im not sure the cold weather is ever going to leave. Schools are out here for the next two days so we should have packed up yesterday and taking a 4 day trip!
Im not an expert on the drivetrain, but I do know the tag does not completely raise. When I got stuck in the previous snow storm, I flipped the switch to Add trac and the tag dumped the air making the rear of the coach sit down. So Im guessing if you flipped it the other way it would raise? Hope I don't ever need to find out!

Also, from all the storms we have had and power outages, It sure is comforting knowing I have a dependable coach only 3 miles away and is there when we need a place to stay!
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #29
Summersgal

Ours is ready! Figure that if the power goes, We are going to the coach!

Come on Summertime!

Pam
Coach #432
Old 01-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #30
Richard and Rhonda

The tag does not physically lift off the ground. The switch lets the air out of the tag bags to relieve the pressure on the tag tires. The other position adds air to the tag bags to shift weight from the drive axle tires to the tag tires. The only time you may ever need this is on the Ohio turnpike, where each axle has a maximum limit, and you automatically get weighed at the toll booth. I don't remember if the max number is 20, 22or 25 K pounds, but some tag Newells are over that number on the drive axle. The switch is a way of temporarily transferring weight to the tag.

So, you ask, why not run that way all the time. Think about the drive axle as a pivot point. It you put more pressure on the tag, it also puts more pressure on the steer axle. Newell typically runs pretty close to the limit on the steer axle tire weight ratings. Pam and Jeff, this is a phenom well known and understood with our vintage coaches. Nothing to be alarmed about, but search on the forum and learn up :-) on the topic of front tires, pressures, and cautions.

Michael Day could publish a treatise on the subject.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #31
Summersgal

Richard

Thank you for the information. I will read up some more on it today here on the forum! I don't have anything else to do since its kinda nasty outside today!

Pam

Coach #432