Fuel Cost - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
GORDON HUMMEL

Default Fuel Cost

On my trip west, I stopped in Kingman,Az to fill up Petro. As I usually prepay cash, the lady behind the counter asked if I was under 26K. I said, NO, & she said if I was, I could go to the car island where it was .08 cheaper.
In August when I was leaving Indy, I filled up @ Mr Fuel, where I had fueled all summer. The girls behind the counter that I had delt with in the past must have been on break. The manager was handling the counter, & when I went back in to get my change, he asked for a DOT #. I told him I did not have one & he charged me 0.18 tax because I did not have a DOT#. I had fueled there 4-5 times over there summer & was never asked for a DOT# & always paid the posted price.
While for 0.08 cents a gallon I would use the truck pumps, I feel there must be an unwritten rule for purchasing diesel @ the best price.
Anyone have some insights

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
ABnormal

Gordon,

I am disappointed that no one has provided more info on the need for a DOT number to eliminate the .18 tax. I have no idea why they would charge you that.

I can tell you that I was "encouraged" to apply for a DOT number by an Idaho Hipo in 2005. He issued me 7 warning tickets for pulling a 20' trailer thru his state. When I did apply for a DOT, it was done online, did not have an associated cost and was relatively painless. It was only required because I was operating the trailer as a business.

Other than purchasing a magnetic sign for the trailer with the DOT number on it, I have never used the number for anything else. I guess I will resurrect the number and begin carrying it in the coach.

When bringing my Newell home from San Diego 2 years ago, I may have stopped at the same fuel stop you described. The attendant suggested I move to the car lanes to save 8 or 9 cents. I was not comfortable trying to maneuver thru the area and declined.

Larry P.

ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
HoosierDaddy

I dont think I have ever found the auto fuel island to be cheaper...I am NOT an expert on this subject but I thought that the auto pumps included all road taxes for non-commercial vehicle. The commercial pump islands do not include taxes because the commercial carrier who submits the DOT number is responsible to pay the tax to the state later. This allows for different classes of carriers to pay specific rates according to their usage.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
GORDON HUMMEL

Dean
Do you know if that .18 cents is just for commercial vehicles, or is it something that I should be paying & was just lucky in the past by not being charged?

Regarding the .08 cent cheaper price in Kingman @ the car pumps, could it be that was a charge only for commercial vehicles? @ that stop, I did not hear any trucker being asked for a DOT #.

It appears that the taxing policies are not only different by state, but also from station to station.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 11-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
chockwald

Gordon...did you fuel up at the Flying J in Kingman? If so, I've fueled there at least 4 times and never been asked for a DOT #.....I did use the RV lanes, however, since I need propane, too.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #6
prairieschooner

Gordon,
Next time just say yes. When we are in Arizona we buy the Car/RV Diesel.
Last time when we filed up at the Flying J in Yuma I read the 26,000 lb. thingy on the Puump and have elected to ignore it.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
fulltiming

Arizona is a somewhat unusual state. The Arizona state tax on gasoline is $0.18/gallon and either $0.18 or 0.26 per gallon on diesel. The $0.18 tax is for vehicles with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds and a maximum of 2 axles. There should be a label on each auto diesel pump with that information. Therefore the auto island is typically $0.08 cheaper than the truck pumps.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
GORDON HUMMEL

Filled up @ the Flying J in Kingman for $2.679 @ the auto pump & used credit card. Cash price @ the truck pumps was $2.759

Thanks for the info guys.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 12-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
afrench45

Ive never even looked on the pumps at those stickers. I usually always use the RV island because you can get the RV discount. Although the truck pumps are much easier to maneuver through, I usually stick with the others. Thanks for the post though. Now I know.
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
Summersgal

I always look for a large spot to pull into when filling! Have never paid any attention to those stickers. Now I know. Thanks for the info!

$2.59 here in Muskogee on Saturday.

Pam
Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #11
afrench45

I always look for a large spot to pull into wherever I am! With my 40' previous coach, I was able to go anywhere. With my 45' now, I have to watch myself..... A turning tag axle sure would be nice.... ..... someday
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrench45 View Post
I always look for a large spot to pull into wherever I am! With my 40' previous coach, I was able to go anywhere. With my 45' now, I have to watch myself..... A turning tag axle sure would be nice.... ..... someday
Don't know if you have test driven a Newell with the turning tag axle, but I have and it is unbelieveable! It makes a U turn within 74' !!!! It is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. It is so cool to make a U turn and watch the people around you stare in amazement.

If you drive one, you'll buy one!

I'm saving my money as we speak!!!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote