determining values on used Newell coaches? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
cdat

Default determining values on used Newell coaches?

I hope I'm not breaking any unwritten rule, or asking what is considered a "rude" question, if I am, please forgive me.
Is there a way of determining value on used Newell coaches? We started out looking at motorhomes, and could use NADA to get a rough value of a used mh. With Newells, every coach is different and many/most of the older coaches have had updates/changes made to them. My wife and I are looking primarily at coaches that were built between 1988 and 1994. The prices of these coaches seem to run between 30k and 150k or more, many times for the same year. How doe one determine the fair market value, I'm not interested in "low balling" a seller, but at the same time don't wish to pay more then the coach is worth. Any thoughts or ideas?
Also, is there a web site that lists specifics about Newell coaches by year and model?

Thanks
John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
NewellCrazy

Hi John,

Since Newell Coach does not have a NADA value it can be difficult at times to establish a used book value. What you need to do is find coaches of similar years and compare them in all aspects, Interior, Exterior, Tires, Engine, Transmission. Test oil samples etc if your are serious about purchasing a specific coach. Also the more questions you ask about the Newell your considering the more we can help you establish a used value. Below I have given you a site that can help you and a link to a discussion we had prior on used Newell Coach Values.

Hope this helps,

Sean

This site will help you establish a base for used values

NewellClassifieds.com

Also please see this additional thread called used newell blue book values

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...ok-values.html

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
NewellCrazy

I forgot to ask if you have a link or if you mind sharing the Newell Coach your thinking of purchasing.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
MrE

John,

Newell Coach doesn't make enough coaches a year for NADA or Blue Book to consider them. The other issue is that each one (with the exception of the show coaches) are custom built to order.

One would be wise to know the approximate amount required for repairs or update prior to negotiating a price. The Newells are constructed to go a million miles or more, but that requires maintenance and not all owners maintain their coaches the same. You could easily be getting a better price on a $75k coach that was well maintained then $25k for the same year that was not well maintained.

Another factor to consider, how handy are you? Can you do most of the fixing or will you have to pay someone else? Buying a fixer-upper can be a fun project or a nightmare depending on circumstances.

We have a forum member that offered and end of earth sale last Friday, it's a 1996 that has been well maintained :http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...html#post26375

We have a forum member with a 1991 that has found a later model 4 slide Newell that is interested in selling theirs :http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...-my-coach.html

Not sure where you're located, but there is a 1991 repo located in the Boise Idaho area. If you're interested it's within 10 miles of my house, I could give it a check over and take pictures for you. https://www.capedfcu.org/news/for-sa...well-coach-40/

jon
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
cdat

I am looking online at several coaches, trying to get a feel for what the difference between the offered price and the actual selling prices are. I am somewhat handy as far as mechanical repairs, although I have been known to occasionally take a $75 repair and turn it into $300 repair. I will take a look at the sites you provided, appreciate you taking the time to answer and provide the info.
MRE, I live about 5 miles from that coach also, I am considering putting a bid on it. My concerns with that coach are the fact that there are no maintenance records available, and no way to get info on past maintenance from previous owners. I know the last owner put about 10k miles on the coach, without making a payment before the coach was repo'd. I appreciate the offer to take your time to take pictures and look at the coach.
Thanks
John
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
farmell

I keep records on every vehicle I own and my coach is no exception. I don't know if I will ever sell my existing coach but have owned and sold a few over the years. Every coach I have purchased "used" has had paper work for all paid for parts and repairs. When I sell you a coach I give you records for everything, period. I would rather an selling owner be truthful with me by providing all the expenses, even if it sound atrocious with the amount of expense invested into the rig. It cost money to maintain a nice luxury coach and make sure you document it for yourself and the next guy.
A coach with service and ownership records is worth 20-30% more in my book than one without.

“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.” – President Gerald Ford
farmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
The Newell

Depending on your budget you might want to contact JDaniels, He and his wife are selling their coach and from what I have seen for its age its in pristine condition.

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Barthman

John, the price of many luxury coaches such as Newell, Barth, Wanderlodge and the Prevost conversions like Liberty or Marathon and many others in this weak economy has made it a cash buyers dream come true. We own an alternative to a Newell in having a Barth Motorhome. We love our Barth but really wanted a Newell or Wanderlodge, and back when we were shopping for an upgrade to our previous coach, these other mentioned choices were way out of sight.

Eight years ago we looked at a 1988 Newell needing some interior updates for the healthy sum of $140,000 and to think now you can get an early nineties for a third to half of that.
2002 Honda LX Manual Trans
Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar

Interested in Trading Up to a Larger Luxury Coach
Like a Newell, Wanderlodge, Featherlite, Marathon, Millennium, will Consider Others
Barthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
Neweller

John, I truly believe if there were enough coaches built by Newell where it would warrant a pricing guide book, you would find suggested prices considerably higher. Newell's for the most part are a huge bargain compared to the average deluxe box coach. When you think that new ones are starting at a million and a half, and going up from there.... The previous wealthy owner takes a nice chunk off the values we second and third owners get to enjoy. All a guy has to do is look at a new half million dollar cheese puff of a coach to quickly appreciate the quality of a Newell, Wanderlodge or other Luxury Conversion. As Bob was kind of stating, Newell's are a bargain right now.

Values on Newell's are all over the place, and you will see many owners and wannabe owners posting this same statement throughout this board. Study the pricing over at NewellClassifieds.com, Luxury Coach Classifieds : Luxury Motorcoaches for Sale, Luxury Motorhomes for Sale, Luxury RVs for Sale and any others sites you run across. You will quickly see who is over priced and who is right on. I have been studying Newell pricing for about ten good years and have a great idea of value as do many others on this board. Sellers need to realize that they have to be fair pricing their coach just like they may want the possible seller to do on a replacement coach they too are considering purchasing. The guy who will probably never sell his coach, will be that person whom originally purchased on the upper end of pricing when he bought.

Value = Condition, Layout, Condition, Amenities, Condition, Mileage, Condition, Needed Size, Condition, Maintenance Records, Condition, Condition, Condition..............$$$$$$$$$

I like what Mike stated above on value without maintenance records, but I would be more inclined to take that 20-30% off of a repossessed coach or more.

Hopefully my 2 cents worth of jargon is helpful.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #10
NewellCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
John, I truly believe if there were enough coaches built by Newell where it would warrant a pricing guide book, you would find suggested prices considerably higher. Newell's for the most part are a huge bargain compared to the average deluxe box coach. When you think that new ones are starting at a million and a half, and going up from there.... The previous wealthy owner takes a nice chunk off the values we second and third owners get to enjoy. All a guy has to do is look at a new half million dollar cheese puff of a coach to quickly appreciate the quality of a Newell, Wanderlodge or other Luxury Conversion. As Bob was kind of stating, Newell's are a bargain right now.

Values on Newell's are all over the place, and you will see many owners and wannabe owners posting this same statement throughout this board. Study the pricing over at NewellClassifieds.com, Luxury Coach Classifieds : Luxury Motorcoaches for Sale, Luxury Motorhomes for Sale, Luxury RVs for Sale and any others sites you run across. You will quickly see who is over priced and who is right on. I have been studying Newell pricing for about ten good years and have a great idea of value as do many others on this board. Sellers need to realize that they have to be fair pricing their coach just like they may want the possible seller to do on a replacement coach they too are considering purchasing. The guy who will probably never sell his coach, will be that person whom originally purchased on the upper end of pricing when he bought.

Value = Condition, Layout, Condition, Amenities, Condition, Mileage, Condition, Needed Size, Condition, Maintenance Records, Condition, Condition, Condition..............$$$$$$$$$

I like what Mike stated above on value without maintenance records, but I would be more inclined to take that 20-30% off of a repossessed coach or more.

Hopefully my 2 cents worth of jargon is helpful.
Well stated Ken.