Water Hose Contamination - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Jon ghiles

Default Water Hose Contamination

When parked in a campground with healthy, regularly tested water when one does not use onboard water tank storage, should the sanitation procedures with Clorox, etc. still be followed in order to remove possible biological contaminants from the water lines and hoses? I have been told this should be done, but it's puzzling to me because I've lived in houses for 50 years and never known water lines to need to be cleaned. Now, the source of the RV water is the typical white RV hose that affixed the park faucet, running along the ground that is exposed to warm southern sun, so some heat would occur in this hose.

Jon Ghiles

Jon ghiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
The Newell

Hello Joh,

When you do the initial hookup (or just before actually) Sanitize as per procedure Once you hook up if you never break the line, I would not worry about it, Though I would sanitize the fresh tank (supply tank) occasionally in case I need it.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
NewellCrazy

If you have a filter with the carbon block for a filter element, it should be changed periodically, AND the water system sanitized at that time.

The carbon filters remove all the purifiers in the water, i.e., chlorine etc., and allow stuff to grow in your system. If you are in a location where the water is good, I would use just a sediment filter and use a carbon filter on only the drinking water. Better yet is to use a reverse osmosis system for drinking water.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Newellin Thunder

If you're hooked up to a city or campground water supply that's tested and treated regularly, there's no need to sanitize on any fixed schedule. Many of us travel and hook up to various water supplies of unknown quality, and use water from our on-board systems which may have been retained for weeks. In these cases, it may benefit you to sanitize your water system occasionally.

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
David Carrol

Your water is as good as its source. If the campground has good water I wouldn't worry about it. If the source is unknown or an untreated well problems COULD develop but not necessarily. I worked on water systems in northern Wisconsin which were mostly well systems. They could be great for months evens years then all of a sudden have a problem. We would then sanitize the well and the entire house system. It's not as hard as it may seem.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
lbrachfe

the air you breathe will expose you to more contaminants than most city or campground water sources
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
speedingsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carrol View Post
Your water is as good as its source. If the campground has good water I wouldn't worry about it. If the source is unknown or an untreated well problems COULD develop but not necessarily. I worked on water systems in northern Wisconsin which were mostly well systems. They could be great for months evens years then all of a sudden have a problem. We would then sanitize the well and the entire house system. It's not as hard as it may seem.
Well said David. I agree if the park you are staying at has good water you're fine.

speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote