convection/micro combo models and venting - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
PIExpress

Default convection/micro combo models and venting

We're replacing our microwave with a convection/micro combo of equal or larger size. Looking for advice on models and venting.

PIExpress

Old 02-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
GORDON HUMMEL

From my experience, you'll want a countertop unit with a venting kit that vents thru the front of the unit. The venting kits are pricy, but are required when a unit is put in an unvented area.
I just installed a Sears 721.679?. It replaced an existing Amana unit I installed some years ago, and used the same venting kit.
After I installed the new unit, I had a chance to look at the old one to see what the noise was. The set screw on the fan for the convection heating element had backed out & allowed the fan to rub on the case. Oh well only $324 down the drain.
I do quite a bit of cooking & baking & this is the best unit for it's cost.
I got it on Ebay out of Texas.

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
GORDON HUMMEL

Default Microwave install

I've just added a few pictures of the microwave installed. The existing cabinet size was ok, but the black switch plate above it had to be cut down in height & also moved out to overlap the top of the new front panel. Also had to add a little spacer on the left, top & right. I usually won't make any changes unless it will look factory.
On my switch panel be careful as there is 110 ac to the water heater switch. Also the top of the new microwave bezel will have to be notched to allow the generator switch to fit. Also you'll want to add some electrical tape to the cut out you made, as I have found you might start the generator by mistake by touching the switch to the alum bezel !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MICROWAVE 002.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	3436   Click image for larger version

Name:	MICROWAVE 004.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	3437  
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
PIExpress

Gordon,

What brand is your convection Microwave and how much time did it take for you to complete installation?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Neweller

Gordon, that is a pretty sanitary job. Great pointer regarding the gen switch. How did you come up with the stainless trim, was it already existing or did you buy a trim kit??
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
GORDON HUMMEL

The Ebay listing is below for the unit I purchased. You will still need the venting kit, that adds about +/- 2" in height. The kit includes the front bezel & a top & bottom vent that provides intake on the top & exhaust on the bottom; as these are normally done on the back of a countertop unit.

As to how much time to complete, I depends of your existing cabinet space & your abilities. As an example, I was concerned with the bottom of the front bezel lining up with the bottom of original cabinet. I installed the top & bottom vents on the microwave & slid it in. To my surprize when I held the bezel up in place, the bottom lined up perfectly. If the bottom of the bezel was below the cabinet I could just raise it, maybe if I had the room. If the bezel had been above the bottom of the cabinet & I didn't like what it looked like, I may have had to replace a lot of formica covered wood. It all depends on the look you are trying to achieve.
I think I had to move the plug in back up a little, but that was about it.

New Kenmore Elite Stainless 1 5 CU ft Convection Countertop Microwave Oven 67903 | eBay
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
NewellCrazy

Amazon is about a $50-60 dollar savings over the ebay one when you calculate shipping based on your location.

Link Kenmore Elite Stainless Steel w/Black 1.5 cu. ft. Convection Microwave 67903

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Neweller

I don't see where the trim kit is included with either one? Maybe I'm missing it? I do see some different trim kits by different manufactures and I'm sure many different configurations will work. Just, need to make some different measurements and play around with what works as well for the opening. All volunteers please stand up!

I found the following trim kit looks just like Gordon's in a 27" size. Link Below:

Panasonic Optional 27" Trim Kit for 1.2 cuft Microwaves, Stainless Steel, NN-TK621SS

Panasonic 27-Inch Trim Kit for 1.5 cuft Panasonic Stainless Convection Microwave Ovens, NN-TK903S

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Neweller

I also found these two links for a 1.5 cubic inch models below:

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=affiliatechie-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B00133NVOK&ref=qf_sp_asin_t il&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF &bc1=FFFFFF&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=affiliatechie-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000UW3N98&ref=qf_sp_asin_t il&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF &bc1=FFFFFF&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

-Bob Marley
Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
GORDON HUMMEL

The Amazon price is much better, but neither will come with the vent kit. I went to the sears site & 67903 is not a current model. They have a 67909 & list a built in kit for but it is only the front bezel? My original unit was a Amana but absolutely identical. As I recall it took me a while to get the vent kit, as the Amana at that time was discontinued.
The vent kit is MANDATORY......in my opinion!
I guess if you put in where the old one was & cut some venting holes in the bottom & then ran the roof vent fan above it, it might work.
These trim kits are like the razor blade business; they give you the microwave & make their money on the install kit.
If you look at units that are wall mounted for over the stove use, they are more expensive, smaller size. Not sure if I would hang it on any motorhome wall!
I'm going up the hill later to where my old amana is & see if I saved the vent kit mounting instructions & maybe some pictures.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 02-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #11
GORDON HUMMEL

The two listings below have all the info required. The AJ Madison listing has pictures of all the parts needed.
The Ebay listing is for the part# that I used on my install.
If one of you do not buy this & the microwave listed on Amazon, I probaly will !

27" Convection Microwave Oven Trim Kit: Stainless Steel

Amana AST2780AS 27'' Microwave Oven Trim Kit Stainless | eBay
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 02-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #12
TheCarabiners

We put a larger unit in our coach. We cut the cabinet to fit. It was not too hard. Just be careful. We enjoy our larger unit.Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-27 11.45.12.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	3467Name:  2012-01-02 19.21.54.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  9.1 KBName:  2012-01-01 20.15.14.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  9.2 KB
Attached Images

TheCarabiners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Neweller

TheCarabiners, you folks did some cutting didn't you? Thank you for sharing, this just shows you that you can make alterations for pretty much anything you may need in your coach. In fact It wouldn't be all that hard for most to reshape or alter an area to fill in or fit the new appliance or what have you. Just some creativity like it took the factory to bring out the uniqueness's in these wonderful coaches.

Exited to see more upgrades from these folks. They already have a beautiful paint job and I know many other interior improvements are being done. Share, share, share!

-Bob Marley