11R 22.5 Tire prices - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Viva Las Vegas JDR

Default 11R 22.5 Tire prices

What is a good price for 11R 24.5 tires? A local tire shop has new take offs for sale. They are some odd ball from overseas so most likely Chinese I would guess.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Las Vegas JDR View Post
What is a good price for 11R 22.5 tires? A local tire shop has new take offs for sale. They are some odd ball from overseas so most likely Chinese I would guess.
Jimmy,

I think your tires are 11R24.5 not 11R22.5 (I could be wrong). This is a very common tire size so by doing a little shopping around you should be able to get a pretty good deal.

If you are a member of FMCA you can get a discount on Michelin tires thru TCI stores. Tire Center, Inc. has stores all over the US.

I would shy away from any "off" brands that no one has heard of; your tires are the most important things on your coach next to brakes and steering.

Just my .02

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Dom Ferris

Hi Jimmy,

I recently purchased 6 new Michelin XZE 16ply 11R-24.5 (regional tires with reinforced sidewalls and rock rejection technology). Mounted, balanced, tax-out the door, $2,950.00, or $492.00 each. I'd personally stay away from China tires. They look good, but remember tires are more than big black things that are round, roll and can support the coach. EVERY tire model that is made for big rigs have a specific mission in life. For instance on Michelin tires- XZA3 is a fuel efficient line haul steer tire; XDA3 is a fuel efficient line haul drive tire; XTE is a line haul trailer tire; XZE is an all position regional tire for lots of turning and scrapping; XDE is a regional drive tire; XZA1 is a bus tire for over the road; XDA-HT is a high torque tandem drive tire please keep that in mind while your searching for tires.

Dom

Dom & Fay Ferris

Logan,IA
Dom Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Viva Las Vegas JDR

Yeah that was a typo, they are 11r24.5 tires
Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Viva Las Vegas JDR

I got a price on the new takeoffs of 250.00 each. They are Double Coin made in China. Has anyone heard of these?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
MrE

I have a mortician friend that has several customers that used them, he highly recommends them!
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
larryweikart

I have a friend (transport driver for a major race team) who has a good way of putting the importance of proper tires. "When it's time to consider tire prices, remember "extra money to buy the right tires is less than the $5000 deducible on your hospital stay"
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
Neweller

Larry, I would have to agree with that statement.

Jimmy, that is a screaming deal on price.

Jon, I have never run those Double Coin but know they are a top Chinese brand that makes tires for a lot of other known company's. I do know an auto transport company out of southern California that uses those tires and loves them. But, on a motorhome we need to probably look into it further. I know there has been a lot of dialog around here and it seems to end with needing to spend the big dollars.

Something I've been pondering on these tires and after reading in this thread would be consideration on what is the most feasible way to go on tire purchases? Some Newell owners run the socks off there Newell's or tread I should say while others do a lot of sitting. Kind of my point here is, If you know tire (A) has a great safety rating but has a lower tread life VS. tire (B) which also has a great safety rating with a 30% longer tread life and your vehicle will be sitting more often than being driven? Do you still opt for a tire twice the price? I know a lot members here like to go for the gusto and buy the high end high dollar tires. I too have done it in the past to just let my coach tires age away and need to be replaced with only about 10,000 miles on them. The question to my point is there finding any common ground to some real savings here?

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
Viva Las Vegas JDR

I know the price sounds great just wondering the quality of a chinese tire. Whats your opinions? Yes or no? Should I go for Michelin's or other name brands which are double the money or try the double coin?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
tuga

Jimmy,

You may want to compromise!

I have a friend who ran Double Coin Chinese tires on his Liberty (only on the rear tires). He ran Michelin's on the front tires. He did it mostly as an experiment; they performed good - no problems. The cost savings as you mention is significant.

If you are confident about running them, do like my friend did and mount them on the rear only. Put Michelin's or Goodyear etc. on the fronts!

Just my .02

P.S. I ran Toyo tires front & rear for years. Good tires. I am now running Michelins on the front - I think they are the better tire. The Toyos are still on the rear. When it comes time to change the rears I'll probably go with Michelins.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 08-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Tuga, I note that your are running Toyo tires. Be very cautious. Country Coach replaced my front wheels and tires to a larger size. Unfortunately, the replacement was Toyo tires. Each of the front tires experienced tread separation and blew out in less that 15,000 miles. Yoyo would not replaces them because I did not save the blown tires. The blown tires were large, heavy, and consisted of razor sharp wire. I will never run a Toyo again, even on the rear.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
tuga

Chester,

Good Post! You know, I had a new set of Toyos on my front axle before we left for the Alaska trip. The trip was 11,000 + and when I returned I noticed they were wearing on the edges. So at 16,000 miles I changed to Michelins on the front only.

I have an alignment appointment at Newell this coming September.

If the Michelins wear evenly either my Toyos were defective or my front end was out of alignment. My guess is the Toyos were not good. Thanks for the post.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 08-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Viva Las Vegas JDR

I went ahead and took a chance on the double coin tires hopefully they are turn out to be a decent tire.

For the price I couldn't pass them up

JDR