How to choose a tow vehicle? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
NeverEnding

Default How to choose a tow vehicle?

Once we purchase a Newell coach we will be wanting to tow. Does it matter what type of car we tow? This might sound funny to some but I'm not even sure how it works to tow a car behind a coach? I assume there is some kind of tow bar or hitch needed?

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford
NeverEnding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
prairieschooner

I have 2 toads. The primary toad is an AWD Honda CRV. Really a great choice. Tows easily and doesn't register the towing miles. Being a smaller SUV it also can be used to haul the items that we need (groceries, repair parts, etc.). It is also a great car.
The second toad is a 1981 Jeep CJ7. Allot of fun but does have it's limitations but ALLOT OF FUN!

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
NeverEnding

Thanks Steve and Tricia for the reply. So some cars register towing miles and others don't? I was unaware of that. You've got a CJ7 huh? Sweet! Let's go rock climbing!

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford
Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
prairieschooner

sorry, just an old man with no want for rock climbing. we just like to explore, wifey and dogs!!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
tuga

Tom & Donna,

You can find a good list of "towables" in the January issue of FMC magazine. It lists which ones can be towed 4 wheels down without any additional devices. If you have a vehicle already and you would like to tow it you can use a Remco drive-shaft disconnect. It is a device that will allow you to disconnect your drive shaft from your transmission.

I tow a Honda Pilot (2005 model & that is important) 4 wheels down; all I have to do it put in neutral and go. There are many SUVs, cars, & trucks that can be towed with any special devices. Be careful because for instance, a 2012 Honda Pilot can NOT be towed 4 wheels down. Honda offers a Honda C/RV as a towable; it can be safely towed 4 wheels down.

So as you can see, you have many options.

Glad to have you in the Newell family.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Neweller

Tom and Donna, I prefer anything that can be towed via tow bar vs. a tow dolly. There are many pros and cons to both. So, anything on all fours would be with a tow bar.

Tuga, is the 2012 Honda Odyssey by chance on that list of towable's?

Steve I had to laugh about your response on the Jeep. I too feel the same way about the rougher stuff after getting busted up while playing. I still like a little action, but on a slightly smoother level. I used to dream of running Pikes Peak in a Quattro.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
fulltiming

Many of the front wheel drive vehicles that are not listed as towable 4 down can be equipped with a REMCO transmission pump. It adds to the cost but it does allow you to use a vehicle you already have if it isn't towable 4 down. We have a 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser automatic that we have towed over 44,000 miles using a REMCO transmission pump. If it has rear wheel drive, then the REMCO driveshaft disconnect may make it towable. In addition to the tow bar (buy one that stays attached to the rear of the motorhome) and the brackets for the tow bar that mount on the towed vehicle, you will need to add light hookups to the toad and to stay legal in many states a braking system.

Ken, Motorhome magazine 2012 Guide to Dingy Towing only lists the CR-V, the CR-V 4WD and the Fit as being approved for towing.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
folivier

I have a '05 Jeep LIberty 4x4, put transfer case in neutral and go. Many jeep products are easily towable, also Chevy Equinox, Colorado, Sierra. If 4x4 make sure it has a neutral position in transfer case (Nissan and Toyota 4x4 are not towable, at least the automatic tranny).
A lot of choices like Michael said check out FMCA.
The most fun car I towed was a 1999 Miata. But decided I wanted to go offroad so got the LIberty.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Ken, I tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 4 down. I understand that the Odyssey EX and EX-l are towed with no problem, but the Odyssey Touring model cannot be towed.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
NeverEnding

Wow, well it sounds like I have some pretty good choices. I will check out the FMC magazine. Sorry for so many questions I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. haha... trying to learn the ropes a bit before we make a big purchase. Thank you for your help and information. I'm enjoying this forum and learning all I can.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Neweller

Chester, thanks for the heads-up. We just picked up a great deal on a '12 EX-L and traded in the 06'. I mentioned to the dealer what you said and he confirmed that it probably due to the Touring having a 6 spd auto instead of a 5 spd auto. The mileage is estimated virtually the same and the options on the new ones are nothing to compare.

Ken

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote