British engineers create gasoline from thin air, do you believe it or not? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Neweller

Default British engineers create gasoline from thin air, do you believe it or not?

Apparently it is true that some British engineers have figured out a way to create gasoline or petro and they are calling it "Air Capture" technology be perfected by a company named Air Fuel Synthesis. Basically what they do is create a synthetic fuel using electricity and air. It mixes sodium hydroxide with carbon dioxide before zapping the resulting sodium carbonate with electricity, to form pure carbon dioxide. At the same time, hydrogen is produced by electrolyzing water vapor captured with a dehumidifier. The carbon dioxide and hydrogen are then used to produce methanol which in turn is passed through a gasoline fuel reactor, creating petrol.

Breakthrough ... scientists hope it could help solve the energy crisis

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz2A5arQpH1

What is everyone's take around here on the subject? Wish it were diesel, huh?

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Jack Fouts

Wow that is amazing. Really ken I can't imagine this would even be possible. The whole idea seems like wishful thinking and I know diesel would only be a pipe dream.

When there is a need, lend a helping hand!
Jack Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
bRAVE

If the British have something here then it would be amazing! Ken you are right wishing it was diesel.
bRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
express1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
Apparently it is true that some British engineers have figured out a way to create gasoline or petro and they are calling it "Air Capture" technology be perfected by a company named Air Fuel Synthesis. Basically what they do is create a synthetic fuel using electricity and air. It mixes sodium hydroxide with carbon dioxide before zapping the resulting sodium carbonate with electricity, to form pure carbon dioxide. At the same time, hydrogen is produced by electrolyzing water vapor captured with a dehumidifier. The carbon dioxide and hydrogen are then used to produce methanol which in turn is passed through a gasoline fuel reactor, creating petrol.

Breakthrough ... scientists hope it could help solve the energy crisis

Read more: Brit engineers make air-mazing discovery | The Sun |News

What is everyone's take around here on the subject? Wish it were diesel, huh?

I knew I should have wrote that down, the other morning when I was awaking by that train passing. Another idea slips thru my fingers.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Neweller

Matt, you can always dream up a way to produce diesel out of smog pollution?
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
77newell

The problem isn't can you do it, there are lots of ways to produce a fuel we can burn in cars and diesels. The problem is the cost and energy efficiency of doing so. In this case, where do you get the electricity and if from natural gas wouldn't it be more efficient to just directly burn natural gas. Any energy conversion requires two things; an energy source from nature and a conversion process that minimizes losses in the conversion process. Just because we can do something doesn't make it a broadly useable idea.

The Navy developed alternate fuel supplies for their ships and planes, but at $27 per gallon I could only go nowhere without breaking my budget.

Jon
77 Newell
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
86loco

I agree with you Jon. It is like the whole corn methanol thing, it absolutely is not cost effective and never will be. They grow tons of GMO hybrid corn that takes way more energy to produce fuel out of. I have family involved in it and they say it produces a paycheck and that is why they do it but that it no way cost effective. It is padding the wallets of those that don't need any padding.