used 2005 newell coach - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
BikerBob

Default used 2005 newell coach

Hi all..

Going to look at a 2005 newell with 12,000 miles, original owner, has original tires. The owner was quite adamant about the "myth" of requiring new tires every 6-7 years.
He doesn't know where that came from. Told me if the tires are "checkered" then you have a problem.

1. What is "tire checkering"?

2. Is the 6-7 year rule hard and fast?

Thanks...

BikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
folivier

Tire checking is small cracks in the sidewall usually near the rim. This is a good indication that ozone has done some damage to the rubber.
Most tire manufacturers say to change tires around 7 years, Michelins says their tires may be good up to 10 years, but should be checked by a tire dealer yearly.
I've also run across people who claim since their coaches were stored inside the age doesn't matter. I'm not comfortable with that and believe what the manufacturers say that driving keeps the rubber components in the best condition.
When we bought our 1993 the dealer had the front tires replaced. The tire dealer put on 10 year old "new stock". I spoke with someone at Michelin and he said he would never accept 10 year old tires regardless of whether they were new or any other condition. The dealer changed the tires.
Figure the cost of tires in your offer because in my, others, and Newells opinion the tires should be replaced due to age. Newell says every 4 years on the fronts!
What is the age of the batteries? That is another big cost item that you may need to replace soon if they are original.
Good luck!

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
MrE

Perhaps you could get the owner to agree to a conference call to the Newell factory and accept their advice? If he is not willing, just figure into your negotiations that you will have post purchase costs.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
BikerBob

Good point about batteries, I never did ask owner about them figured they were good because coach has been stored inside all its life and hooked to juice. Conference call to the Newell factory is a fantastic idea thank guys for your advice I will give the owner a call and see what he says.

Bob
Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
NewellCrazy

Forest & Jon gave very good advice. Let me say that it's only a myth to people who are trying to sell. It sure isn't to those who have had blow outs and done damage to their coaches.

The problem is that tires that sit can wear out Checking does not indicate that. If you pull your tires off each year and inspect the insides (which nobody does) you can tell better. I keep the air pressure checked and have plenty of tread left and no checking.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
MrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewellCrazy View Post
Let me say that it's only a myth to people who are trying to sell. It sure isn't to those who have had blow outs and done damage to their coaches.
Well put Sean!
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Will Procter

I can tell you from personal experience that age plays a major factor in tires, especially tires that do more sitting than rolling. Around here it is generally recommended that tires be replaced at 6 or 7 years, and some tire manufacturers recommend 10 years. Even at the ten year limit, those are getting close. Tires can be breaking down without any apparent checking on the outside. I say new tires are in your scope if you decide to make the purchase.

Will

Detroit 60 Series 515 HP Engine

Some people call me the Space Cowboy
Will Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Bob, there is no way I would run 8 year old tires on my Newell, regardless of what anyone says. I once blew a almost new Toyo front tire doing 70 on I-10, but lived to tell you about it. The most important items on your coach are tires and brakes. Old batteries will not wreck you, but old tires will. I suggest you install new 365s on the front if you do not have them, and Michelin, through FMCA, has the Advantage program which will save your some money.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
BikerBob

Thanks all for the confirmation. I called and spoke with the owner again. These tires are 8 years old. Going to pass. I Don't need a $5,000 haggling point, that should be haggleless.

Bob
Old 04-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
77newell

Bob: There are a variety of perspectives regarding tire and safety. Due to the variety of conditions it is impossible to predict in pragmatic fashion how long tires are safe, even if we could agree on the definition of "safe" which we don't due to our individual risk-taking proclivities.

As a result of all this ambiguity you need only to understand your own sense of risks associated with tires and adjust your offer to purchase accordingly. I talked last year with a man that was comfortable with the 12 year old tires on his coach, so comfortable in fact that he was planning to return to Arizona from Michigan again in the fall. The offer I made to him was based upon my unwillingness to travel with 12 year old tires that had minor checking. I just told him the offer I made was the value the coach was to me in comparison to other coaches I had considered. He turned my offer down which was OK with me and I felt no compunction to convince him that he should accept my view of tire safety. He was simply taking risks that I perceived as acceptable for me but that didn't make him wrong.

Offer the guy what the coach is worth to you and if he says "no" that's just as OK as him saying yes.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
rellick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBob View Post
Thanks all for the confirmation. I called and spoke with the owner again. These tires are 8 years old. Going to pass. I Don't need a $5,000 haggling point, that should be haggleless.

Bob
I think if you like the coach and you make him an offer taking into consideration the cost of the tires and batteries etc. Maybe the seller will take the offer maybe not, leave him your phone # with your offer he might change his mind.
Newells seem to be worth what people are willing to pay for them
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
BikerBob

Yeah, owner said he was firm. I told him to keep my number incase he changed his mind. It will need batteries and tires for starters so I bid accordingly or atleast I thought I did.

Bob
Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77newell View Post

Offer the guy what the coach is worth to you and if he says "no" that's just as OK as him saying yes.
I agree Jon. Very well put.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote