ULSD Impact on Older Detroit Diesels - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Technical Exchange > Major Mechanicals
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Brewers

Default ULSD Impact on Older Detroit Diesels

I read an article about ULSD diesel fuel that said it can cause seals to leak and pumps die on older diesel engines(Pre ULSD Engines). Is this true?

Brewers

Growing older is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.
Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Brewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
cdat

Be interesting to see the responses on this, I'm also interested. I know years ago when Cali 1st mandated low sulfur diesel, there was a huge problem with diesel engines being destroyed.

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
rellick

I always run fuel conditioner in my diesels, they help to lubricate pumps and injectors, help with moisture and gelling. Also improves mileage.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Newell Attack

In theory the ULSD fuels have lubricity equivalent to the older fuels. I don't worry about it. I think the more important point is that those of us who are still driving the 2-strokes have absolutely no fuel worries. If its greasy and it will go through the filters I can be pretty well assured that these engines will burn it and make power.

Jeff

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
BMG Coach

It can cause big problems. Its manifested as very costly for people owning older diesel motors.Those fuels can mostly damage seals in pumps.
BMG Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Years ago I had a Rockwood with a Cumins "C" engine and the high pressure external pump had to be rebuilt because the lower sulfur fuel at the time caused the seals to harden. I would not expect the 2-cycle Detroits to have a problem since their external pump is a low pressure and the high pressure is generated in the individual injectors in the head. Any older engine with a high pressure external pump may have a problem, and in my case the engine vibrated excessively at 60MPH due to the failed pump.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Will Procter

Somehow I don't think those older Detroit's care much what ya feed them, as long as it's well filtered

Detroit 60 Series 515 HP Engine

Some people call me the Space Cowboy
Will Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
NewellCrazy

HIGH SULFUR FUEL (ON-HIGHWAY APPLICATIONS)

When the use of high sulfur fuel (greater than 0.05% mass sulfur) is unavoidable, higher alkalinity
(TBN) lubricants are recommended. High sulfur fuels require modification to oil drain intervals.
For further information, refer to Section 4.3, “The Use of High Sulfur Fuels.”

THE USE OF HIGH SULFUR FUELS

High fuel sulfur forms acids during combustion, particularly during idling and low temperature
operation. The best defense against the effects of acid formation is to shorten oil drain intervals.
The proper drain interval may be determined by oil analysis or by using the drain intervals
listed in Table 4-3. A reduction in TBN to one-third of the initial value provides a general drain
interval guideline.

Marine fuels identified as meeting ASTM D 2609, Specification for Marine
Fuels, should not be used in Detroit Diesel engines due to the high sulfur contents and boiling
ranges permitted.

Should it be determined that the oil drain interval is unacceptably short, the selection of a lubricant
with a TBN above 10 may be appropriate. Use the intervals listed in Table 4-3 until the best
practical oil drain interval can be established by oil analysis. Used oil TBN may be determined
with DDC POWER Trac oil analysis kit P/N 23520989.

Oil Drain Intervals
Highway Truck & Motorcoach

Engine Series
40, 40E, 50, 55, 60, 71, 92

Oil Drain Interval New Oil TBN Above 10
10,000 Miles (16,000 km)

DIESEL FUEL

The quality of fuel used is a very important factor in obtaining satisfactory engine performance,
long engine life and acceptable exhaust emission levels. This publication applies to Series 60, 50,
55, 40, 40E, 638, D700, MBE900, MBE4000 and two-cycle engines

QUALITY AND SELECTION
For optimum engine operation and maximum service life, diesel fuels meeting the property
requirements in Table 5-1, or the properties of EMA FQP-1a or 1b are recommended for use.

NOTE:

Fuels with sulfur content above 0.05 mass percent (500 ppm) are not recommended for
DDC EGR, MBE 900, and MBE 4000 engines. If engines are operated with fuels not
meeting the 500 ppm sulfur content limit, the drain intervals must be shortened. Drain
intervals may be determined by oil analysis or by using the drain intervals in Table 4-3.

Notes to Table 5–1

1. The flash point temperature is a safety-related property which must be established according to
applicable local requirements.

2. The cloud point should be 10° F (–12° C) below the lowest ambient temperature to prevent
clogging of fuel filters by wax crystals.

3. The filter plugging point temperature should be equal to or below the lowest expected fuel
temperature.

4. No free water visible.

NOTE:

When prolonged idling periods or cold weather conditions below 32 °F(0 °C) are
encountered, the use of 1-D fuel is recommended. Note, however, that transit coach
engines are emission certified on either No. 1 or No. 2 fuel. To maintain emission
compliance, only the correct certified fuel should be used.

FUEL LUBRICITY

It is recommended that all fuels used in DDC engines meet the minimum lubricity requirements
listed in Table 5-1, “Diesel Fuel Specifications.” Fuels not meeting the lubricity requirements may
be additized to meet them.

PREMIUM DIESEL FUEL

Premium diesel fuels are not covered by any existing industry specification. It is recommended
that the customer obtain additional information from the fuel marketer and compare properties to
those listed in Table 5-1 before using.

HEAVY FUELS NOT RECOMMENDED

Heavy fuels intended for use in slow speed diesel engines and as burner fuel are not recommended
for use in any Detroit Diesel engine. Marine fuels specified by ASTM D2609 are examples of
such fuels. These fuels are known to cause combustion deposits and will likely reduce engine
durability.

BIODIESEL FUELS

Biodiesel fuels are alkyl esters of long chain fatty acids derived from renewable resources.
Detroit Diesel Corporation highly recommends biodiesel fuels made from soybean or rapeseed oil
through the proper transesterification reaction process. Other feedstock source of biodiesel fuels
such as animal fat and used cooking oils are not recommended by DDC.

Biodiesel fuels meeting ASTM D 6751 specification, prior to blending can be mixed up to 5%maximum by volume in
petroleum diesel fuel. The resulting mixture must meet the fuel properties listed in Table 5-1 and
ASTM D 975 specification. Failures attributed to the use of biodiesel fuel will not be covered
by Detroit Diesel product warranty. Also, any engine performance problem related to the use of
biodiesel fuel would not be recognized nor considered DDC's responsibility

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote