50 amp outlet/recepticle - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
The Newell

Default 50 amp outlet/recepticle

i'm looking to put shore power at home when not on the road. I have a 50 amp service does this get wired 110 or 220 Thanks

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Travelin Frank

The standard RV 50 Amp wire connection has two hot legs, one ground pin and one neutral pin.

Each hot leg reads 120 volts to neutral. That is how you use it.

Each hot leg reads 120 volts to ground. That is for safety.

Each hot leg reads 240 volts to the other hot leg. That is only for reference. You don't use it, but you check it. If it is not that way, you could fry the neutral with unbalanced loads.

Neutral and ground are connected at the service entrance only, as far as the park or your house goes.

As a general rule, one leg of the 50 amp service runs all of the coach except for the rear air conditioner, which is powered by the other leg.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
JohnC

Newell has built over 1250 custom coaches, none of which are exactly identical, so electrical load balancing will vary from coach to coach.

220/240volt appliances such as dryer's, and stove tops requires both 50 amp phased legs to function.

Coaches with single inverters will have specialized balancing to insure essential appliances such as refigerators, compressors, etc are placed on the inverted leg.

It is very important that when 'unplugging' the coach from shore power that you either turn off the breaker at the pedestal or keep the plug very straight while removing it. If the neutral prong disconnects before the two hot legs, bad things can happen to your electrical system, especially your inverter.

JohnC
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
ikcandco

«~» Thanks 'JohnC' for your 'Brilliant Observation and Technical Info.'
»»»»»»»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' «««««~~»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' «««««««««««
«~» If the Old Newell TechTalk would be part of the 'NewellClassic.com' a question in the
'Search Engine' would reveal :
»»»»»»»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' «««««~~»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' «««««««««««
Newell TechTalk
Messages Subject: Shore Power

Eric Latham, 11:16:14 AM - 5/8/2006
Is there a switch you have to flip on a 1984 coach to use the onboard lights while hooked up to
shore power?

Michael Day, 7:14:54 AM - 5/10/2006
There is a, at least on later Newells, a transfer switch that must be changed from generator to
shorepower to get 120 volt power. If you don't have 120 volts to the electric outlets in the coach
when plugged into good power, make sure the switch is in the shorepower setting and then
check the fuses on the transfer switch unit itself which, at least on my 1992 model is in the bay
with the power cords and the converter. If you have 120 volts to the electric outlets in the coach
but no lights you probably have a 12 volt problem. Either the batteries have died or shorted out
internally or your 12 volt charger/converter is not functioning.

Dale A. Rogers, 7:09:35 AM - 1/17/2007
I have a storage facility for a 2005 Newell 450. The building has 3-phase 120/208v power. If I
provide a 50amp receptacle on the 120/208v power will I experience any problems?

TechTalk Staff, 9:49:18 PM - 1/24/2007
Never connect a Newell, or any motorhome, to three-phase power. You will do a great deal of
damage to your electrical components. Motorhomes, including Newells, use a four wire, two leg
120/240 volt single phase electrical system. An electrician can wire a 50-amp RV outlet to
virtually any residential electrical system.
------------------
May God Bless
KC ~ 1999b What's this?