Replacement captain seats - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Cheri Smith

Default Replacement captain seats

The seats that came with my rig aren't all that comfortable, I'm considering replacing them. Has anyone here bought new replacement seats? Maybe have some knowledge or info to share? On cost? Can we install them? Thank you.

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
77newell

Cheri, Ralph, on my 77 coach the captain's chairs were uncomfortable in a very soft sort of way. I had new foam made up for the bottom cushion and it made an amazing difference. The new foam was a mix of rather stiff foam topped with memory foam. Cost me about $120 for both cushions using the existing fabric.

Jon - 77 coach, Civic toad

77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Cheri Smith

Thank you Jon for the help. The seats need something and asap because my bottom and back do not feel good after a long run. I did a google search and found a company called Flexsteel who make marine and rv seating. Heres the link: Flexsteel Furniture: Helm Seating

Anyone know if this is a good brand?

1979 Newell Classic
Old 09-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
NewellCrazy

In my opinion Flexsteel makes some of the best captains chairs on the market. We have had them in 2 coaches and to be honest that is always the first thing I do when I purchase a coach is change out the captains chairs with new flexsteels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flexsteel443.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flexsteel559.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	2760  

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
prestadude

My 2000 came with a Recaro captains seat and a copilots seat by Villa. Villa provides a lot of seats and sofas to Newell. I wanted to replace the copilots seat since it did not have a shoulder belt. I found that I could not order the seats from either Villa or Flexsteel for liability reasons (they would only sell to an installer that would certify that the seat would be installed in such a manner that the extra floor stresses generated by the shoulder harness could be accommodated). Since Villa has a long standing relationship with Newell, I ordered it from them. I gave them my coach number and they looked up the original color of the copilot chair and gave a perfect match). Newell provided Villa with the necessary floor certification. Villa shipped the chair to Newell and I had them install it when I visited their facility.
prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
bigcatwally

Great post Cheri and Ralph. I've been thinking about upgrading my seats as well.

Thank you everyone for sharing.

I had no idea about these different seat manufactures and brands.

Tim and Laura do you mind if I ask how much it cost for the copilot char install? I wonder if I could have them sent to an RV dealer here that does installs? Or is it necessary that I go to Newell to have them installed?

1979 Classic Newell Coach
1967 Ford Mustang
1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS
bigcatwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
prestadude

We ordered the copilots seat through Newell but I suppose you could order it through some other installer. We ordered the Essex style with leather upholstery to match the rest of the coach. The chair has heat and massage, electric recline, electric footrest and integrated lap and shoulder belts. Newell charged us $3,216 which included installation. Mike Ramirez at Villa helped us with the order (562-404-8111).
prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
Starvin Marvin

If it meets Newell standards it meets mine.
Starvin Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
speedingsport

Flexsteel captain chairs are the only way to go in my book. The cushioning in the Flexsteel captains chairs are made of high resiliency foams. Which means it has body conforming comfort and it provides an even distribution of pressure for extended ride comfort. I highly recommend Flexsteel.

I uploaded a few photos of the different styles to give you an idea of what Flexsteel offers.

Name:  256-busrred_1113_detail.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  5.6 KBName:  266-red_802_detail.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  6.8 KBName:  535.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  7.9 KBName:  436-bus-r_363_detail.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  7.0 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	545xler_635_detail.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	2809Name:  Capt554ERST_zm.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  7.3 KBName:  Capt556erst.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  5.6 KB

Go here to check them all out - www.braddandhall.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Cheri Smith

Wow those Flexsteel Captain chairs are beautiful! All of these captain chairs are a bit more than we'd like to spend. I wonder where I can find some of these chairs used? or at a discount? Anyone have any pointers? Thanks!

1979 Newell Classic