Turbo/Alternator interference - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
butch

Smile Turbo/Alternator interference

Hello all. working on a 1996 Newell with the Detroit Series 60 engine. The problem is the back of the alternator hits on the 90 degree rubber hose coming off the intake to the turbo, (air filter to turbo). Over time it has rubbed a hole in the elbow causing the demise of the turbo with the unfiltered air that comes through this hole. There is not enough adjustment with the belt, ( det.dsl # 23520032)to avoid hitting the alternator. Looking at pictures of the newer model Newell's show that the chrome intake pipe has been rearranged from the earlier models. It looks as if the 90 degree elbow is turned straight up with a different chrome pipe used to avoid the alternator altogether. Also, some of the new pictures show a longer belt utilizing a belt tensioner. Does anyone know of a RETRO-FIT kit available to cure this problem or has anyone concocted their own solutions? Thanks in advance for any help!

butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Hi Butch,

I have a 95 with a similar setup. If yours is like mine you can see a pretty wide range of adjustment on the tensioning bolt for the alternator.

My first approach would be to take the belts off and see if the alternator can be moved so it doesn't rub. Then go buy some Gates green stripe belts to fit.

If that doesn't work for you, then you might look at some slight repositioning of the air flow piping. As you can see it is a number of straight steel pieces connected by short pieces of silicone flex. You may be able to loosen the hose clamps. One of those new fangled ratcheting wrenches in 10 mm is a god send for this. Also if yours is like mine, the piping is clamped to a frame mounted bracket right there at the alternator.

I had to play with this recently when I removed the AC compressor. It was easier to take some of the air intake piping out of the way to work on the compressor. I did notice that when I put it back together that with all the joints that the system has many degrees of freedom, so it is kind of a free form exercise to get it back in place.

Now, it none of that works. Drive the bus up to your local big truck shop. They should have an assortment of intake hoses, pipes, elbows, and clamps to fix you up.

Let us know how it works out for you.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Wally Arntzen

Hi Butch'

I don't know where your located but I have had hose's and lines made at Catco which is truck pars sales place similar to what Napa would be to cars. All you need is to take the old line to them and tell them how much longer you want or if you want some hard elbows to protect it from the alternator they can make it.

If you don't have a Catco dealer you should be able to have something made at a local truck parts dealer like detroit, cat or kenworth.

Good luck and happy trails.

Wally Arntzen
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote