yanmar diesel fuel filter change advice - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
encantotom

Default yanmar diesel fuel filter change advice

hi, i serviced my 12.5kw generator today. changed the oil oil filter, coolant, thermostat (tricky little thing has two gaskets...one real small one that goes underneath the thermostat and the regular one).

i have a new fuel filter too. should i turn off the fuel at the water separators in the aux tank area before i change the filter? it also looks like it would make sense to put some diesel fuel in the filter before i put it on as well.

will i have to bleed off the fuel injection lines to get fuel to them after changing the filter etc?

i just got the service manual for the generator and it leaves a lot to be desired....but does help.

thanks again all

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:45 AM   #2
fulltiming

I have the operation and service manual for the Kohler/Yanmar 4TN82-R genset and it isn't bad but the section regarding fuel filter replacement doesn't answer some of your questions.

Yes, it is a good idea to close the valve at the auxiliary fuel tank to minimize the potential for air to get back into the fuel line (although the manual doesn't mention this). I have always filled a new fuel filter with fresh diesel prior to installing (although the manual doesn't suggest this either).

My manual indicates that the entire system should be bleed if the fuel filter is replaced. Before bleeding, you would need to turn the valve back on at the water separator at the auxiliary fuel tank.

For reference to those who don't have the manual this is the procedure they list for bleeding:
1. Loosen line connection at fuel filter. Connection is at the top rear of the fuel filter
2. Using priming switch on controller, operate fuel pump until fuel (free from air bubbles) flows from this point. Tighten line connection. Controller box is on top of the generator to the rear of the generator engine. Switch is on the drivers side of the fuse next to the Start/Stop switch on the controller box.
3. Loosen small vent screw (with Phillips head) on fuel filter. Small screw on top of the fuel filter toward the front
4. Using priming switch on controller, operate fuel pump until fuel, free from air bubbles, flows from this point. Tighten vent screw.
5. Loosen line connection (bleed point) at fuel injection pump inlet. Located toward the rear of the Fuel Injection Pump where the fuel line comes in from the center of the fuel filter.
6. Using priming switch on controller, operate fuel pump until fuel, free from air bubbles, flows from this point. Tighten line connection.
NOTE: use a container to catch fuel when draining fuel system. Wipe up all spilled fuel after draining system.

If anyone is interested in seeing the location of any of these components, let me know and I will post photos as I presume that Tom's manual identifies all of these points for him.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote