Do you think you are a Frugal Newell Owner ? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
NewellCrazy

Cool Do you think you are a Frugal Newell Owner ?

If so, share how you are frugal. It can be the littlest thing! Even if you only save 2 cents! Share how you do it! If we all share how we are each frugal and try it we may find we can be more frugal than we think we can be.

I try my best to eat out only at restaurants I have checked out first for reviews etc. I don't like taking a chance on a restaurant and then being disappointed in it. To me that is a waste of money. So, I research the restaurant first and see how there ratings are. I know to some that takes the fun out of eating out. But, that is the next thing I try to do when being frugal, I try not to eat out to often.

I also like to check out the FREE stuff that is in the area where I may be traveling. Can't get any more frugal than that!

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
tuga

I try to be frugal. I buy diesel fuel at Flying J/Pilot truck stop if they have the lowest price. I try to find parts on eBay, and I always get 2 or 3 prices before I buy. One area that I do not cut on is the maintenance of my coach; if it needs a special repair (like front end alignment) I go to Newell. I do not try to have someone locally do the work. I learned a long time ago that it may cost a little more to have Newell do the work, but it is done RIGHT!

That is the extent of my frugality!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Flydrifter

Frugal/Newell that is a true Oxymoron. But then again maybe not with an older coach. Watching the cost of fuel, keeping the speed down, campsites, ie., boondocking, doing our own maintanance and repairs, eating in, there'se always someway to save a dime, but the dollars going out are always present. I don't think owning a Newell is Frugal, it is a lifestyle that I enjoy, therefore we will keep her rolling as long as the kid's inheritance and our health let us.
Flydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
MrE

I remember years ago going in to buy a bicycle, thinking I could get by on the cheap. The owner (and friend) told me something that I'll never forget, "if you buy quality it only hurts once". I have applied this to all purchases since then and been quite happy. The first thing that I do is find out what the best product I need is, then I shop for price. I have found it quite amazing the price discrepancies using Google, and I must admit that the majority of my purchases have been over the Internet.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Gone Busing

Flydrifter I like your statement about rolling as long as the kid's inheritance and our health let us. I'm with ya brother.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
express1

no always paid for what I got, rarely got what I paid for.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
express1

Tuga, your check is in the mail......
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #8
Neweller

I like frugal. I was taught that a dollar saved is a dollar earned. I still like high quality everything and I'm darn picky on that. I was always one to wait it out until I could acquire the nice things then to settle for the cheap.

If I'm traveling by coach I carry along good quality food favorites and snacks that may be hard to find just anywhere or at least at the price I like. I've been a Costco fanatic since 1985. I've been in the wholesale trade most of life. I will splurge sometimes depending on what it is. If its a mans labor and that is what he's worth, I'll gladly pay him. I like deals, but never like to insult another to get something.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
tuga

Matt,

Just in time!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
lbrachfe

Thumbs up

I think older Newell (Pre 2005) owners are prouder than most RV owners and take better care of the rig and this is "frugal" . Most owners have some understanding of the engineering of Newells and it's one of the few American manufacturers still in biz since the 1960's. Which translates to obvious good quality and support and that's "frugal" too.. Just buying and owning a Newell indicates some frugality for all the reasons you all already know. Lastly, who repaints a 1979 Winniebago ?? Nobody, but who repaints a 1979 Newell ?? almost everyone.Again "frugal". It's a coach that has lives with each of it's owners and I like to think of it as a sort of relationship, like I had with my first Porsche.. So in that, Newell ="frugal" and we are proud to be owners of these Iconic machines. There are less than 1500 of these ever made since 1967 and I would bet that over 1000 are still roadworthy today because of the manufacter and the proud "frugal" owners.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Neweller

Larry I have to commend you on that post. I would believ a good majority of pre-owned Newell owners fit the profile you outlined in one way or another. And the Newell Coach fits your description in a nutshell.

Jon, I have to like the statement said by your friend, it only hurts once. Putting together some of our dialog here can assure us buying a preowned Newell is not going to hurt nearly as bad as if you bought it new. Then again, depending on how deep your pockets are spending 1.6 mil to 2.2 mil on a new Newell to some may be like what I spent dining out last night.

Recapping some here; when buying a used Newell it is most definitely a frugal deal indeed. So, "Cheers to You" and "Cheers to Me" and if we shall ever disagree, "Cheers to You" and "Cheers to Me"
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
ccjohnson

We have dicovered that anyone else other than Newell doing work on the coach has to go through a "learning" process. A few hrs can add up quickly. We always try to have our work done at Newell because they know the coach & don't have to go through the "learning curve at $100 + per hr. Looking forward to next weeks visit with Tommy & the crew!
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
Randy J

We like to think we are frugal people. If we can save we want to know. We have not made a trip to Newell in Oklahoma yet. We plan on making our way soon.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #14
bigcatwally

I'm a frugal guy. I don't own a million dollar Newell coach but I do enjoy my vintage newell. I would say quality over quantity is a must on anything its a good key to being frugal.

1979 Classic Newell Coach
1967 Ford Mustang
1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS
bigcatwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
stewart33

I take pride in being a frugal person. So that also makes me a frugal newell owner and I'm okay with that.
stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
Raymond N Priscilla Miller

Don't know how I missed this thread. We fulltime in our coach so yes we do like to be frugal. Our kitchen serves us well I know we save a lot of money compared to dining out for every meal like a lot of retired friends of ours like to do. I enjoy cooking and I enjoy the wife's cooking, we know whats in our food and how it's prepared and cooked. I think most importantly we eat like a King and Queen! Being frugal has it's perks.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Some of us were born during the great depression or during WWII, and grew up in a frugal time and environment. So acting in a frugal way comes naturally irrespective of what we may have accumulated over a lifetime. To the extent I am able, I enjoy working on my Newell which is not only frugal but provides a sense of pride and knowledge of it systems.

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote